Manufacturer's Technical Publications

Chriscrawfordphoto

Real Men Shoot Film.
Local time
9:15 AM
I've gathered together links to technical publications from Agfa, Fuji, Ilford, and Kodak and put them on my website.

I've found the manufacturer's own tech data to be the best starting place when trying a new film or developer, assuming the maker of the film or the developer has given developing times for the film/developer combo you're trying.

They are certainly more reliable than things like the online Massive Development Chart, which is riddled with errors.

I also dug into my own archives for some data sheets for discontinued films like Plus-X and Verichrome Pan. I also found Kodak data sheets for some of their developers, which for some reason are no longer available on Kodak's website.

Since most of the links are to the info sheets on the manufacturer's own sites, and these can change, it is easier for me to maintain the accuracy of the links on my own site, so I'm just going to leave a link to the page on my site with all of them here:

http://crawfordphotoschool.com/film/tech-publications/index.php

Thanks Chris,

Those Ilford times on the Rodinal sheet are indeed different from the publication I had based my times on.
I have generally found that for results I like, I need less time for all Ilford films than the published data.

Thanks, Chris. (And, you’re right; the Massive Development online data is easy to access and “has everything”, but if you rely on it you are just asking for trouble as bad advice sits there innocently, right next to accurate information.)

Thanks Chris, I haven't looked yet but I will in a few minutes. I still have a roll or two of Kodak Technical Pan that I would like to see how my method differs from Kodak's. I agree about the massive chart.

Thanks Chris, I haven't looked yet but I will in a few minutes. I still have a roll or two of Kodak Technical Pan that I would like to see how my method differs from Kodak's. I agree about the massive chart.

I don't have one for Tech Pan on the site. All of them on there are ones that were available in PDF from Kodak's website. I do have a Tech Pan tech document in my collection of old printed Kodak tech publications. I'll have to scan it and make a PDF

I went on your site and found that you didn't have KTP listed. But that is fine, it is a little obscure. Don't scan that just for me. I've found a reasonable time and temp.

It is a weird film. But I do get full tones, with Rodinal (dilute). I was just interested what they had to say about full tones development.

Here are a couple of my successes:

Kodak Technical Pan expired 150+1 Rodinal by John Carter, on Flickr

and as you can see from this photo of my friend Billy, it is not very sensitive to red. And it is a dust magnet.

Technical Pan Rodinal by John Carter, on Flickr

John,

I just got out my old binder full of tech publications that I'd collected when I was in school 20+ years ago. I found a Tech Pan tech pub from 1995.

The only developer it lists for regular photography is Kodak Technidol, a very low contrast developer that Kodak marketed for Tech Pan to reduce its normally very high contrast down to normal levels. Kodak always liked to pretend that no other manufacturers existed, so their tech pubs never listed times for developers from other manufacturers, like Rodinal.

Ilford helpfully gives times for their films in other makers' developers, but Kodak never did.

I went on your site and found that you didn't have KTP listed. But that is fine, it is a little obscure. Don't scan that just for me. I've found a reasonable time and temp.

It is a weird film. But I do get full tones, with Rodinal (dilute). I was just interested what they had to say about full tones development.

Here are a couple of my successes:

Kodak Technical Pan expired 150+1 Rodinal by John Carter, on Flickr

and as you can see from this photo of my friend Billy, it is not very sensitive to red. And it is a dust magnet.

Technical Pan Rodinal by John Carter, on Flickr

I've used a couple of these high contrast films over the years: H&W with its own developer, Blue Fire Police but I used Rodinal very dilute with that, and Kodak Technical Pan again with dilute Rodinal. I never was very happy with them when wet printing, digital post processing made it a little easier. The complete absence of grain makes it fun to enlarge, but tone adjustments is difficult. Thanks for the information.

I've used a couple of these high contrast films over the years: H&W with its own developer, Blue Fire Police but I used Rodinal very dilute with that, and Kodak Technical Pan again with dilute Rodinal. I never was very happy with them when wet printing, digital post processing made it a little easier. The complete absence of grain makes it fun to enlarge, but tone adjustments is difficult. Thanks for the information.

I agree, I tried Tech Pan when I was in college, using Rodinal 1+100. It was hard to print in the darkroom. I've scanned a couple of the negatives I made back then and they gave decent tonality with digital 'processing' but were harder to edit than shots on normal films.

Back