M9. Buy now, or later?

Yikes, his question wasn't that complicated guys. Does he buy an M9 now or later once the new M comes out?

I would imagine that the used M9 prices will drop once the new M actually arrives and people can get them.

Yikes, his question wasn't that complicated guys. Does he buy an M9 now or later once the new M comes out?

I would imagine that the used M9 prices will drop once the new M actually arrives and people can get them.
Highlight: yes.

Para 2: True.And his guess is as good as yours, mine, or anyone else's.

The only rider is whether he should buy now, and get more use out of the camera, or buy later and save an indeterminate but probably modest amount of money. As I said, "Personally I'd go for 'now' if I could possibly afford it. But that's me, and I'm not you."

Cheers,

R.

I have some great cameras. My M2 and M6 TTL are great. My M8 is far greater than i expected it to be.

However, having always shot TriX and developed myself in my bathroom due to the crazy (unacceptable) costs of labs here in London, i find this is now no longer a sensible setup (girlfriend moving in, redecorating bathroom, it's not gonna fly anymore).

So, i'll likely be selling on the M6 (the M2 was my first M and won't go anywhere) and picking up an M9 to get that full-frame character the M6 always used to delight me with. That's right, i'm gonna go for the M8/M9 one-two, especially as i feel i'll still get the look and shooting experience i love.

The question is - when to buy?

I'm really looking to pick one up as cheaply as possible as even the M8 was a stretch for me (i paid £1700 for a mint example when i got it) but i am realistic about the cost and willing to spend. Get what you pay for and all that.

I've seen some come up for as little at £2500, but i know the new M isn't out yet. Do i try and snag something soon, or should i be waiting a little while?

Any thoughts on the issue would be great. Cheers

(Ps. The M8 is awesome, it's going nowhere. It's not about an upgrade to anything, just a non-film full frame replacement for the M6.)

If the M10 turns out to be a success - as most expect
M9 / 9P prices will likely go lower

M9 / 9P prices also likely to go lower in the short run
as owners panic to pay for their M10's on order
- there are more M9's for sale now than ever before - all competing for the SAME buyers

later,
if the M10 turns out not so great
M9 / 9P prices will likely go higher than now.

Like Clint Eastwood's Dirty Harry said ..
Do you feel lucky ?

Stephen

Stephen

being much older, not wiser, experience tells me, buy it now! Your girl friend will have different ideas.. The bathroom is toast. "Things" drying in there and it won't be film. Use kitchen, if you have a shower and a tub, the shower will still be yours sometimes.. Few labs process as well as one can.
i personally would not buy the M9 as more can be had for less in Nikon and Canon.You already have the M8. I've used it and it's fine.Sure not "Full Frame" but being digital, it really means little unless you need wide angle lenses so much more. i would NOT sell the M6 or M2. Way too little money towards a M9, which already is obsolete, by introduction of the new models.

I think the real question here should be how you convince your girlfriend to accept that you need certain tools to develop your film and she should be okay with that.

I'll start. "Baby. I develop my own film so that all the money I save goes into buying you a big, beautiful engagement ring"

...problem solved.

being much older, not wiser, experience tells me, buy it now! Your girl friend will have different ideas.. The bathroom is toast. "Things" drying in there and it won't be film. Use kitchen, if you have a shower and a tub, the shower will still be yours sometimes.. Few labs process as well as one can.
i personally would not buy the M9 as more can be had for less in Nikon and Canon.You already have the M8. I've used it and it's fine.Sure not "Full Frame" but being digital, it really means little unless you need wide angle lenses so much more. Personally I'd go for 'now' if I could possibly afford it. But that's me, and I'm not you. i would NOT sell the M6 or M2. Way too little money towards a M9, which already is obsolete, by introduction of the new models.

Highlight 1: I hadn't realized they'd started making digital RFs.

Highlight 2: Or fast lenses. My 'standard' on film was a 35/1.4. I'd have needed a 24/1.4 to give me a similar angle of coverage and speed.

Highlight 3: How is the M9 obsolete? It's a slightly higher-specification version of a current camera, the M-E.

Cheers,

R.

I bought a used, black M9 (built in 2011 with just a little brassing on an edge) a couple of months ago, once I found one for $4K US. I believe that the new M-E, being slightly lower spec'ed than the M9, will artificially hold up used M9/M9-P prices for a long time, and I don't see the value of used M9s falling far below $4K anytime soon. To me, loosing a warranty and a frame lever wasn't worth an extra $1500 for the new M-E.

Even if used M9s do fall to something like $3500 in the next year or two, I'm not too concerned about loosing a little bit. Of course, if they fell to $2K, I'd be a little concerned, but it wouldn't be the end of the world, and I don't see that happening.

I say if you can find a good M9 for $4k, go for it.

I believe that the new M-E, being slightly lower spec'ed than the M9, will artificially hold up used M9/M9-P prices for a long time, and I don't see the value of used M9s falling far below $4K anytime soon.

I believe the look of the M-E will keep the M9 a little higher than it should be more than the specs. People seem offended by the M-E's looks for some reason. Then again, I've already seen some M9s for less than $4000.

I believe the look of the M-E will keep the M9 a little higher than it should be more than the specs. People seem offended by the M-E's looks for some reason. Then again, I've already seen some M9s for less than $4000.

Good point.

I haven't seen used M9s under $4k in good condition. Where did you see those at?

I was thinking the same... and I've decided to just sit and wait for the M to come out, read a few reviews, see some photos taken with it and then evaluate if the best way to go would be the M, an M-E or an used M9 for a considerably lower price than an M-E.

a few months won't be a huge wait and then it'll be easier to decide.

Even if used M9s do fall to something like $3500 in the next year or two, I'm not too concerned about loosing a little bit. Of course, if they fell to $2K, I'd be a little concerned, but it wouldn't be the end of the world, and I don't see that happening.

I say if you can find a good M9 for $4k, go for it.

I bought my M9 for 7K so I'm beyond the WTF stage... :) Seriously though, when Leica released the M-E, I was happy that the M9 will be serviceable for many more years. A brief bout of insanity caused me to post it for sale, but I then decided to keep it when I sobered up - I'm glad I did as I now intend to keep it until it dies.

To the OP, buy now if you can afford it. The price will go down regardless, but if you're not intending to flip it then it shouldn't matter - imo anyways.

I posted earlier suggesting that prices will likely continue to fall, and if your goal is now or later there is no penalty to waiting. I feel the same way, but I noticed that recent auction site prices are holding pretty firm at $2K-$2.6K or so for M8 models, and the M9 seems to be moving pretty well in the $4K-$4.5K range. Both price ranges for no story cameras.

Given that, the downside price slide that many are projecting may not materialize. After all if you can buy a M9 for $4K versus C/N full frame top line cameras for similar/more money the $4K entry price for a full size sensor M9 isn't badly priced.

I still believe prices will fall, but I now think that the bulk of the price drop is priced into the market and significant downside from here isn't very likely. If that impacts your decision maybe buying sooner doesn't have the risk that I, and many others, may have expected.

My Hopes for M9 Prices

My Hopes for M9 Prices

As I mentioned in detail in another post, I've been selling off my Canon DSLR equipment and Zeiss ZE SLR lenses to convert totally to rangefinder cameras and lenses. I have one lens left to sell and I think it will be sold this week.

I feel a little impotent without a full-frame digital camera. I don't miss that heavy Canon 5DII and the Zeiss ZE lenses, just the ability to take a high quality digital picture. I'm having to turn down requests from women to do studio photographs.

Hopefully, it won't be much longer until I'm back in the game. I plan to wait until January or February 2013 in the hopes the prices will be lower. I hope I can buy an M9 in excellent condition from KEH, or Adorama, or B&H, or PopFlash for $4000. I'd like to avoid ebay for this purchase. At $4000, the pinch of the price won't hurt me too badly.

Having got my answer, I'd not returned to this thread...

The problem with all of you who have strayed past the straightforward question, is the assumptions you're making about me, my partner, my home and what is important to me personally. I'm yet to see any of you follow a reasonable line of logic because of this, and thusly have added nothing to the topic, situation or in any way influenced my decision making process. I might as well be advised to change the style of my curtains or buy a more economical car.

To those of you discussing the M9 price curve, thank you for your input. I am leaning towards the logic that M9 prices will likely bottom once the M becomes available, then stabilise or pick up slightly. I will put aside my cash and enjoy my existing Ms in the mean time as I am in no hurry :)

I consider the question answered and thread done, but I'm sure there's plenty to debate that I didn't ask about. Cheers!

Back