London UK best film prices

froyd

Mentor
Local time
1:51 PM
I looked online and found stores advertising the same roll of film (XP2 in 35mm) for anything between £7 (Aperture UK in Riding House St) and £11 (Jessop).

Any recommended stores in the central London area for cheap film prices? Is £7 per roll of XP2 as good as it gets?

Hmmmm, I'm not sure I can totally be of help to you, as it's been several months since I was last in London.

Aperture's prices are some of the very best--I bought from them last summer when I was in the city.

Two other places I frequently bought film were out on the Whitechapel Road--one is a small shop just a couple of doors east of the Whitechapel Art Gallery, on the same side of the street (before you get to Brick Lane). I *don't* see film listed on their website currently (www.totalblankmedia.com), but sometimes the website doesn't reflect what they have in the shop. And if you go just a few dozen metres east of Brick Lane, again on the same side of the road, there's another shop. I don't recall the name of it, but they had film prominently displayed in the window. I picked up a few rolls of HP5+ from them, and they had a rather large variety of film stocks. If I recall correctly, on that film they were very slightly cheaper than Aperture.

Another place, whilst your on that side of town, is Teamwork Photo--their shop is definitely worth a browse in general for a photographer, and they carry lots of film. The prices are on their website, so you can compare them to Aperture and others.

Finally, my other occasional go-to spot--if you're in the Farringdon/Clerkenwell area--is Process Supplies. Again, they have film listed on their website, so you can check prices. That's where I get all my film processing supplies--the name kind of gives it away, innit--but it's not as fun to just browse as Aperture and Teamwork as everything is behind the counter and you have to ask for what you want.

Really though, if you're right in Central, Aperture is probably your best bet. They (and Teamwork and Process Supplies) get extra marks from me, as they are entirely dedicated to serving serious photographers, and keeping film photography going. I've bought quite a bit of stuff from Aperture over a long time patronising them, particularly film, and they're good people in addition to having very competitive prices on film, and most things in general.

Online is probably cheapest, as bricks and mortar in London is going to be expensive to maintain (rates etc).
I find most of the UK film suppliers gravitate to a 'best price'. So I found a few online retailers all offering £7 for XP2.
Another hurdle, will they actually have any to buy?
I used to buy my film for Analogue Wonderland (online).

Analogue Wonderland always seems to be one of the most expensive places to buy film in the UK. They seem to be geared to the hipster crowd who are willing to throw away money at every turn.

If you're going online, Nik & Trick down in Folkestone (Nik & Trick's Analogue Photography Shop - Nik & Trick Photo Services) are always a good choice. I also recently found The Imaging Warehouse who are based in Stratford-upon-Avon and have a really good selection of materials for film and darkroom use. Their prices aren't as cheap as some of the alternatives for things like Ilford and Kodak, but the range of options is fantastic.

In London, it's worth sticking your head into the Photographer's Gallery (near Oxford Circus), as the shop downstairs has a surprisingly wide selection of film available. You're not going to beat online prices, but if you want to try a roll of something niche like Svema without committing to a large enough order to make the shipping worth it, this is the place to do it.

Another vote for Process Supplies - they won't necessarily compete with the online retailers, but they should be supported as they're such a good resource.

Analogue Wonderland always seems to be one of the most expensive places to buy film in the UK. They seem to be geared to the hipster crowd who are willing to throw away money at every turn.
Yes, totally hipster. They are selling XP2 at £7 though.

Ha, ha, yeah well I'm sure they are nice people. The hipster thing is everywhere.
I recently visited the Photographer's Gallery and cafe in Soho and it's great. Lots of great photobooks and some nice exhibitions.
I saw they had film, but didn't look at the prices.
I've also used AG-Photolab in Birmingham and Secondhand Darkroom in The Cotswolds. The latter are really nice people, but it looks like they don't sell XP2:

If you are near the British Museum check out the camera museum and cafe nearby - it's related to Aperture's business in a way I can't remember now, but very pleasant, and I got a discount for sharing the proprietor's christian name - nice!

If you are near the British Museum check out the camera museum and cafe nearby - it's related to Aperture's business in a way I can't remember now, but very pleasant, and I got a discount for sharing the proprietor's christian name - nice!

It is owned by Aperture. Aperture now has three branches: the Camera Museum (and cafe) sells Hasselblad gear and film, the Rathbone Place store sells film and is where all the processing takes place, and the Riding House Street branch is where they sell Leica (and I think the Nikon/Canon stuff is there, too, now) and do camera repairs.

[...]Secondhand Darkroom in The Cotswolds. The latter are really nice people, but it looks like they don't sell XP2:
Thanks! I'll be in right next door in Buford for a few days and I was planning to do my film shopping in London for fear of not finding conveniently located camera stores in the countryside. Seems like I was wrong! Interesting they only stock Ilford films and no other brand.

It's in a gorgeous location, down a farm track. The guy is very nice. It's been a couple of years since I've been there.
They have shelves full of collectable camera gear, like Mamiya 7's, Hasselblad, Contax, bodies and lenses etc. I'm sure half of it isn't on their website. Check they are going to be open.

Back