UK Region London Labs

lilin menyala

more vinyl!
Local time
7:06 AM
so i went to get two b/w 35mm negs enlarged to about A4 size by my local snappy snaps (portobello rd) and the results are very disappointing. they look like smart xerox copies on slightly fancier paper. (the original 10x15cm prints looked fine in both instances.) i'm going to revert to calling them crappy snaps. :(

can anyone recommend a walk-in lab in london that does very good quality enlargements? do any labs still do wet prints? years ago i used joe's basement, which is no more, and michael dyer. what others are there?

i'm not too concerned about how much it costs. this would only be a very rare occasion that i'd do this and after this disheartening experience with snappy snaps i'd be willing to shell out a little bit more if it guarantees a satisfying result.

thanks.

silverprint is so out of the way for me unfortunately. but i'll have to check out panther, never come across them before. thanks for the advice.

Genesis Imaging just off the King's Rd is an excellent lab that I can highly recommend their website is here If you have a scanner I'd recommend peak imaging's online printing service. Their developing is also absolutely first rate and very cheap - all their services are free post so it's no more difficult than going to a walk in. I've never had film prints from them but I suspect everything would be to the same standard. If you get really stuck I've got an HP 9180 and an epson 4990 scanner. I'm pretty sure I could beat snappy snaps, but I live in Sussex

Last edited:
Has Metro on Clerkenwell Rd shut down? I haven't been there in ages.. there's another branch in Soho somewhere I think. I personally prefer Genesis too - near the Gasworks, it's a bit of a pain to find and even more of a pain to get to by public transport so I tend to drive there.... Their sister branch used to be Primary, on Kingsland Rd but they have recently closed that branch. Which is a shame, because that was very convenient.

PS Peak Imaging have given me stellar service in developing slides, but their printing service is a tad patchy. When I made some prints from slides several years back, the prints were disappointing. :( Your mileage could vary because they could've improved since then. Can't beat their customer service anyway! :)
Genesis/Primary are very much better with prints in general.

Jin

jrong said:
Has Metro on Clerkenwell Rd shut down?
Jin
Jin

No, Metro have recently relocated to new premises, just around the corner, at 32 Great Sutton Street.

I have always had great service from them and would highly recommend, albeit a bit pricey...

as this print i want to get done is a bit of a matter of urgency i went to metro in clerkenwell as it's nearest to me and they've quoted me 50p cheaper than snappy snaps for the same size print, but handprinted! pretty impressive. i was hoping to drop into primary, remembering they were on the kingsland rd, only, of course, to find out they'd shut down.

Back