Leica, not in Disney World

I just returned from another 14 days photographing in Cuba where I saw a total of 4 film cameras and a bazillion digital point & shoots. I did pretty much stay out of the major tourist areas.

I was photographing in a local boxing club in Havana central city (the old poor section) and in walks another photographer shooting a M-6. We briefly exchanged comments about my ZI.

I noticed a Cuban photographer with a Nikon FE around his neck selling b&w prints on the street. I gave him four rolls of b&w film. He was thrilled.

I crossed paths with a Spanish girl shooting a Hexar RF. Several times we ended up photographing in the same place. We only smiled and nodded as we stayed out of each others shots.

Towards the end of my trip, I came across a Swiss lady shooting an old Polaroid folder. I had to ask since she was also carrying a D3X. She basically said that she felt the mood of Cuba was best captured with outdated Polaroid film. We had a great conversation.

Oddly, I ran into a photographer I knew from FL in the historic (i.e. tourist) section of Havana. He was carrying his normal two pro DSLR's each with huge zoom lenses plus a large backpack camera case. He was photographing the locals who dress up colorfully and pose with large cigars for tourist tips. His style and mine are at the opposite far ends of the spectrum.

Disney World? I live 20 miles away and have not been in 20 years.

I've been into photography for two years now, and the only Leica I ever saw on the street was an M8 around the neck of a pro photographer that was standing over a pelican case filled with 5-10 L lenses.

Camera spotting is reserved for equipment nerds and not photographers.

Not sure I agree. I drive an old Land Rover so I notice other old Land Rovers. When I had a Scimitar I noticed them more too. I ride a BMW, so I notice other BMWs; Frances used to ride a Guzzi, and notices Guzzis. And yes, I notice Leicas and Nikon Fs.

In fact, I'd suggest that for many people, an essential part of being a photographer is noticing things, especially things that are distinctive, classic or unusual.

Cheers,

R.

I've been into photography for two years now, and the only Leica I ever saw on the street was an M8 around the neck of a pro photographer that was standing over a pelican case filled with 5-10 L lenses.

Good grief! As far as I recall Leica has only ever made 18-21-24-28-35-40-50-73-75-85-90-105-135 coupled lenses, plus a couple of Tri-Elmars, plus the Hologon (offered by not made). Unless he/she was doubling up at some focal lengths, that was between 1/3 and 2/3 of all the focal lengths they ever made.

Cheers,

R.

Hmmm, I had a similar experience that the op had. I was also in Disney about a week ago with the nieces and nephew. Saw tons of Canon and Nikon dslrs, and a lot of the m3/4 cameras too The only time I noticed a rangefinder was while we sat for lunch one day. There was a man with his family having lunch with what looked liked a m6 but I wasn't close enough to be sure. I had my bessa, and yeah zero attention just the way I like it.

I live in nyc, so I'd have to say I see people shooting film and rangefinders about once a week. Rare, but not extinct for sure.

I've used an R-3A, and RD-1(S) and my M8 numerous times in Disney World. One of their "photographers" once asked if "that was a Leica?" when I was carrying my M8. I answered; "yup". Only answer I could think of at the moment. My wife and son love roller coasters, I don't. Hence I get a lot of quality time to take pictures. The challenge is to make images that don't scream "vacation in Disney". Laugh, have fun, watch your kids, (or grandchildren), smile and grab an image or two when time allows. It's that simple.
. . . Burkey
O.K., this images screams Disney but it made for a great poster in our son's room. M8, ISO 1250, Nokton 35/1.4 :rolleyes:
p1004055648-4.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure I agree. I drive an old Land Rover so I notice other old Land Rovers. When I had a Scimitar I noticed them more too. I ride a BMW, so I notice other BMWs; Frances used to ride a Guzzi, and notices Guzzis. And yes, I notice Leicas and Nikon Fs.

In fact, I'd suggest that for many people, an essential part of being a photographer is noticing things, especially things that are distinctive, classic or unusual.

Cheers,

R.

Oh I see, you mean it takes one to spot one kind of thing.

I see the usual abundance of point and shoots around town, a fair sprinkling of DSLR's, and the occasional newspaper guys with their DSLRs. I've never seen anyone with a Leica or any other rangefinder, anyplace.

One person has mistaken my Bessa for a Leica CL. One person recognized the M3 for what is was. The first time I was out with the M2 someone older than either me or the camera stopped me because he was surprised I was shooting film. The Leica name didn't seem to register with him.

I suspect these rather rare rangefinder spottings are in keeping with overall camera sales figures. Not too many folks are buying the stuff.

Demographically speaking, wouldn't we be more likely to see new Leicas at venues that attract the more prosperous among us?

Oh I see, you mean it takes one to spot one kind of thing.

Pretty much. I never notice whether someone else is using a Canon or a Nikon DSLR, or what sort of point-and-shoot it is, and likewise I don't distinguish between Kawasakis and Hondas and Yamahas; but I think that someone who doesn't notice things he is interested in is probably pretty unobservant and by the same token may not be a very good photographer becase he doesn't look at the world around him.

I've no doubt that there are those who look only at landscapes or beetles or whatever they are interested in photographing, and that some of them are very good photographers, but I cast my net a bit wider than that and notice all sorts of things.

Cheers,

R.

I was at the zoo yesterday and brought along a Werra and an Agfa Optima-Parat half-frame. I didn't see anyone else using either of these cameras.

What are we to conclude from this? Nothing, really.

I was at the zoo yesterday and brought along a Werra and an Agfa Optima-Parat half-frame. I didn't see anyone else using either of these cameras.

What are we to conclude from this? Nothing, really.

Dear Mike,

Simply that you would probably have noticed if someone else had been using one. Werras are pretty distinctive, though I can't say I'd immediately recognize an Agfa Optima-Parat half-frame. Then, I've had Werras but not the Agfa.

Cheers,

R.

I live in Halifax, Nova Scotia, a small to moderate sized port city on the east coast of Canada. Since aquiring my first Leica (M4-P) in January, I've seen two other Leicas on the streets. M6 and M7, I believe.

I've known six people in the past 20yrs who were Leica users in the city. All of them use Canon/Nikon digital now, but all have kept their Leica gear.

There seem to be a few people, apart from me, in HFX using film cameras, but they are mostly the young Art School Hipster crowd.

Saw a guy with a Horizon Panoramic today!

Saw a spectator using a chrome m8 on the FA cup semi final on TV today, surprised, not the camera you expect at a football match. No stranger has asked me about my leica in over a year of owning it.

When I backpacked around Europe for the better part of 3 months a few years ago, I only saw one Leica during the entire time I was there. A middle-aged man using a black M8 in Venice. Saw lots of DSLR's though, which was to be expected - even a few backpackers had some really nice cameras. I'm talking 5D's with L lenses and D200's. Probably explained why they were staying in hostels!:D

HCB at MOMA

HCB at MOMA

I went to the opening day of the HCB show at the MOMA in NYC today. No Leicas present, with the only film camera being my Bessa R4. Guess everyone else knew "no photography" was allowed. How ironic.

Back