Instax Evo Mini "hybrid" - Any thoughts?

Yup, about two weeks ago. B&H got them in, and they were sold out almost immediately, but I managed to nail one. Some thoughts:

1 A real hipster toy. So many of the options are silly (to me) Instagram-oriented gimmicks.
2 A serious artistic tool. Just as the Holga spawned a new genre of photography decades ago, the Evo could follow in its footsteps. Results are unique, with a quality not found in other (non-instant) photo processes. It demands a different approach and a new way of seeing. And, unlike other instant processes, results are repeatable. An infinite number of identical prints can be made. Pretentious Fine Art photographers (I confess to those tendencies, though I try my best to resist) could make numbered editions, if they so choose. I don't intend to sink to that, however.
3 As a Retro-Grouch, I don't own a smart phone (GASP!!!). Images loaded into my computer from the SD card just look like crappy lo-res digital files from a cheap flip phone, so the only way to get an Instax print, for me, is from the camera memory or the card. This is significant, since the "secret sauce" in the process is the actual Instax film. That crappy lo-res image undergoes a change into something "rich and strange" when it hits the film, that creamy, dreamy, and unique instant film look.
4 The camera's monochrome option, when used with standard color film, isn't really monochrome. It's a sort of very dark warm greenish that looks monochrome until you print the same file on actual monochrome film (which is itself not really monochrome, either, but richer, with deeper blacks, and a cooler tone). Since I'm essentially interested in B&W images, I'll use the monochrome film. But having color film in the camera is like being able to switch backs on a Hasselblad. Sorta, kinda...
5 The live view is an accurate rendition of what your digital file looks like. But there's a learning curve to understand how that translates to a print. Highlights blow out, sharpness is lost, edges seem to bleed into the Instax emulsion. All pretty normal with instant processes, but not for someone locked into the f64 way of seeing. I love it.
6 I've yet to try filters on the camera. A 25A could be interesting, or a mess. The camera also offers blue, red, and yellow tints which, from the screen, seem to have something of a filtration effect. I have yet to try those with monochrome film. In color, they're just hipster gimmicks (to me).

The take-away? Get one!!! I've fallen in love with this thing. It's a real kick in the pants for me, since I mostly do a sort of edgy, medium format documentary thing. The Instax imposes a charming, lyrical quality on everything I shoot with it, so it's a very interesting challenge. It's great when a new piece of equipment pushes you to expand your seeing!

I'm totally getting instax prints charm.

I wonder if this one is working via Bluetooth with not too limited cameras. But it has USB port anyway.

https://instax.com/mini_link_2/en/spec/

I'm totally getting instax prints charm.

I wonder if this one is working via Bluetooth with not too limited cameras. But it has USB port anyway.

https://instax.com/mini_link_2/en/spec/

Unfortunately, the USB port is for charging only. Downloads directly to your computer are done by Micro SD card via a card reader. Bluetooth works only with the iOS or Android app on a smart phone. Fuji says that you should not attempt to download files modified in your computer back to the card, as it will corrupt the files and formatting of the card. Altogether rather awkward and I hope they will do an upgrade.

You can get Instax printers for Mini, Square and Wide, which connect to your phone via Bluetooth, using Fuji's Instax print app. You can then print photos stored on your phone, which could be phone photos or other digital photos transferred to your phone. The app down-rezes the file and crops it to fit the Instax format, but at least it's a way to use your own camera and print to Instax, if you're looking for Instax style and convenience.

You can get Instax printers for Mini, Square and Wide, which connect to your phone via Bluetooth, using Fuji's Instax print app. You can then print photos stored on your phone, which could be phone photos or other digital photos transferred to your phone. The app down-rezes the file and crops it to fit the Instax format, but at least it's a way to use your own camera and print to Instax, if you're looking for Instax style and convenience.

Yes, but I'm allergic to all that technology :) There's something about the simplicity and discipline of just using the Evo and printing SOC that appeals to me. Most irrational.

R-G, I totally understand. I am mostly like that myself. My comment was really more for Ko.Fe, if he wanted to Instax print from other cameras.

Two groups on Flickr, each is with fifty+ photos so far. I don't think the output is anywhere close to 5 PM. Good for small size on the screen and tiny prints.

How does the digital image on instax film feels comparing to original analog/optical Instax?

Daughter is asking for Mini 11...

Two groups on Flickr, each is with fifty+ photos so far. I don't think the output is anywhere close to 5 PM. Good for small size on the screen and tiny prints.

How does the digital image on instax film feels comparing to original analog/optical Instax?

Daughter is asking for Mini 11...

From the limited comparisons I've been able to make, the Evo prints look a good deal like analog Instax. I've read that Fuji uses a specific sharpening algorithm to squeeze the illusion of greater resolution out of the 5 mp file. The Instax film itself is overwhelmingly the source of the unique look in both cases.

From the limited comparisons I've been able to make, the Evo prints look a good deal like analog Instax. I've read that Fuji uses a specific sharpening algorithm to squeeze the illusion of greater resolution out of the 5 mp file. The Instax film itself is overwhelmingly the source of the unique look in both cases.

It looks like Fuji is optimizing those digital files for instax prints only. Or sensor is way to small to support real 5MP. I checked it against Olympus E-20 files (5 MP camera).

Back