If you can have one 50mm, which would you choose (all collapsible)

If you can have one 50mm, which would you choose (all collapsible)

• Summicron

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • Summitar

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Elmar

Votes: 13 10.2%
  • Elmar M

Votes: 29 22.8%
  • Heliar

Votes: 14 11.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 7.1%

• Total voters

jett

Well-known
Local time
7:06 PM
If you can only have one 50mm lens as a main lens for b&w film, and it had to be a collapsible, then which would you choose? And it has to be f2.8 or faster.

50mm f2.0 Summicron
50mm f2.0 Summitar
50mm f2.8 Elmar (classic)
50mm f2.8 Elmar M
50mm f2.0 Heliar
Other (did I miss any of the non-collectable ones?)

The Elmar-M seems the most practical choice with its flare resistance and sharpness, though for me it would just have to be the Summicron, with the Elmar 2.8 v1 and Summtar tied in second place.

I guess we are talking about 50mm Rangefinder (Leica and other) lenses. For some perverse reason I love my Summar it's not the sharpest it is flair prone but it has the certain something.

Arrgh I forgot about the Summar and the Canon 50mm f1.9. I guess those two can be lumped into other as I'd imagine the other 5 to be more popular.

I voted Summicron, but CAVEAT EMPTOR! Keep looking til you get a really clean one with no scratches or haze or fungus. Mine is a KEH BGN lens, and it's really clean!
EDIT: ALWAYS use a hood with this lens.

I've had most if not all of the lenses on the list and I'd have to go with the Elmar M (if you don't need the speed). It renders beautifully and the Tessar like design always pleased me with the results.

If you really are only looking at daylight shooting the VC Heliar 50/3.5 is worth a look. The ergonomics are a little funky and require getting used to but the lens is a truly spectacular performer. Very unique signature and incredibly sharp.

One other lens....the Konica 50/2.4. Many very knowledgable people here on the forum swear by it.

Mine is a pre-1932 uncoated, unnumbered, feet-scaled, no-infinity lock, 11 o'clock, nickel Elmar (HA! Try and beat that!:D).

I haven't got any of the other lenses in the poll and do not have the urge to try them either, this little Elmar has it all:

458061_583048638376913_628212886_o.jpg

Here on the Ricoh GXR-M​

I'm mostly thinking about the Elmar M and Summicron myself. I want that f2.8 aperture. I just wanted to hear which you guys prefer. Ofcourse this does not mean that your lens is the one that i should pick.

I'm dismissing the Summitar because of filter thread, heliar f3.5 because of speed, and heliar f2.0 because of size. I hadn't thought about the Hexanon but it last sold for ~$700 which is comparable in price with the Elmar M and I'd rather get an Elmar M if I were paying more than $500 (average price for a Summicron).

The Summicron is classic, the Elmar f2.8 classic is attractive too but the Elmar-M is undeniably a good lens.

Somedays I feel that I outta snap that Elmar classic, other days the Summicron, and the rest of the days the Elmar-M. When the time is right, I'll go with any that I find a good deal on, then I'll go with the next ;)

I like collapsible lenses and I really like the Summitar for B&W, it just works for me and there is no need to worry with filters
For colour, then my go to would be the TTH 2"f2.. I would take it against the contemporary Summicron any day.

I've owned both the newer and older elmar 2.8 as well as the summicron. The summicron is such a unique lens that it would be hard to pick against it. The newer elmar 2.8 is the lens among the three that I would pick to pick against the summicron...

Summitar gets my vote! Just take a look at the "Summitar the Star" thread. I have tried several coll lenses but kept coming back to it. Presently, Summitar is my ONLY Leica lens.

If I had the pick of the litter, I'd go with a thorium glass Summicron. After that, the Konica. Of course, if it doesn't have to be on a Leica, I'd choose either a collapsible Nikkor (in Nikon RF mount, 'cause that's what I mainly shoot) or a mint version of my old 5cm f/2 Schneider Xenon that was the collapsible fixed lens on my Adox Adrette II. My Xenon was scratched but it was a fantastic lens in spite of that.

Phil Forrest

Back