How Low Can You Go? Camera Neck Strap Length Preferences...

I like to wear crossbody when walking around with the strap at 100cm length (sits on my abs). Switching to neck carrying when I am actively taking photos!

I always use a non-stretchy thin nylon strap (like Nikon AN-4B) adjusted to the length that allows tension when camera is held to eye.
This is an old-school device to help steady camera and allow hand-holding at slightly slower shutter speed.

EDIT: This usually places camera just below chest height.

Chris

Last edited:
It depends on the camera, for an SLR it's the Jimmy Page long guitar strap look but for a rangefinder I go for the geeky surf guitar high on the chest look. Each is actually more about how I carry the camera when I'm not pointing it at a scene. I was taught at college if you carry a camera on your shoulder the lens should face inwards so if the camera swings out it's only the back of the camera that can make contact with something. A short strap on a light camera like a Leica means you only need your upper arm to hold it secure lens inwards, but for a heavier SLR it's good to use your elbow to do the same.

I used to be a low hanging fruit guy but realised my camera / lens gets banged up more than I'd like. So chest height is more my range now. To each their own

Michael Markey’s avatar here has the high chest carry. Good for umbrella in the rain. Avoids resonant frequency in the pitch plane walking. Lower is better for jacket. I like the length to be right for wrapping around my wrist and taking some of the weight through my wrist and hand.

I carry a Rolleiflex a bit lower than a Leica, w the focusing screen at the middle of my chest, at a place where my eye can still focus, (without having to lift it)...that way i can pull down on the strap at slower shutter speeds and still get a sharp negative
40523964784_fb08c218b8_z.jpg

Back