Help me choose my travel gear!

sockeyed

Well-known
Local time
11:02 PM
Every year I make a point of somewhere new; last year it was Vietnam, before that it was S. France, Turkey, India, China,...

This year is no exception. In just over a month I'll be heading to Indonsia and Malaysia for 4 weeks, to Bali, Lombok, Kuala Lumpur and East Malaysia.

The trouble is, I can't decide what gear to take. In Vietnam I carried my F-1 + lenses and found it manageable, but now I've got some RFs to consider. Here are my options as I see them:

1. Canon F-1 New + 24/2.8, 35/2 & 85/1.8
This kit is proven and reliable. It's heavy-ish. Good lenses.

2. Bessa R3A + Nokton 40/1.4, 75/2.5 & 25/4
Smaller, lighter, great lenses, but valuable. Also, the R3A has jammed 2x on me (not lately, but it's something to worry about).

3. Bessa R + 35/2.5, 75/2.5 & 25/4
Smallest, lightest kit, moderately valuable, great (but slower) lenses. No AE.

I'll be shooting Reala, NPH and probably Tri-X. I'll also bring 1 or 2 Stylus Epics to have handy and my digicam.

Any thoughts?

Bessa R3a + 40Nokton
Bessa R + 25 and 75

That way, you will still have options if the R3a locks up. The R is so light it will hardly make a difference, plus you will waste less time switching lenses.

The Stylus will come in handy. October is still monsoon season there, right?

Thanks, Ray! The 2-bessa option is something to consider.

Good point about the monsoons. They don't usually hit Bali/Lombok until later in November, but Malaysia might be wet.

Two camera bodies from the same system always makes a lot of sense. I had a Nikon FM2 jam up in Somalia in 1992-3 and shot the rest of the trip on one body. I'd personally stick with the rangefinders ... they're so small and light compared to the SLRs, and you're looking at comparable lenses.

Point and shoots, digital or film, are also good backups to carry. Because my primary work is no longer photojournalism, these days I usually travel with one film body and use the digital point and shoot (a Canon G1) as backup. I've actually published a couple pictures in my newspapers taken by the G1, a couple others taken by the Nikon RFs. Most of the time I travel with a company photographer and so am just taking the pictures for my personal satisfaction.

No, don't sell the F-1, I hate to be tempted.

Yes, two Bessas and lots of film.

yeah two bodies - R as backup or second body - they are relatively light anyway, ain't they?

Last time, I took 20D and 10D with me and 4 lenses to East Malaysia - Sabah :)

Both Bessa's, all four CV lenses and pickup a J8 50/2 before you go as a lowlight backup for the R.

F-1 with the 85 for portraits, people, long landscapes
R with the 40 on it for lowlight / street / candid
stash the 25 in you pocket. You lose some redundancy but still have the P&S for that.

Back