Have you heard the rumor about the new Fuji MF digital?

would be really curious to it but me buying it will vastly depend on 3 things: size, focal length and price.

bonus would be if it's going to be a RF but the chances for that is like winning the lottery.

btw my guess is that it will be nicknamed Texas X100

As fun as a Texas X100 sounds, I'd honestly rather Fuji make a camera like this with the 135 sensor from the A7R/D800. The medium format sensor that we're talking about in this rumor is only 33x44, so I'm not sure it'd be worth a price in the stratosphere, when the Sony 36mp 135 sensor is so good and considerably less expensive.

Now, if we were talking a true 6x6 or 6x7 sensor, that'd be a different story, but, as it stands now with the 33x44, I'd rather have a less expensive Montana X100. :)

I don't like the direction Sony is going with its 44*33 sensor...or at least if they don't quickly release a similar 45*30 variant.

It would also likely be priced at the $6-8k level, which IMO is too expensive for a fixed lens body.

While I applaud the speed at which Fuji is putting out products, it also makes me want to be cautious about buying into Fuji at the moment. Im not convinced that they quite know where they are going yet. Perhaps Photokina will clarify things.

D**n! When I saw the title of your post, I thought a Manual Focus Fuji X camera was coming, with some nice small manual focus lenses! Oh well..

That's why I clicked on this thread... :(

As for medium format, I like shooting with Biogon formulation lenses and I doubt the sensor array could ever be optimized for such non-retrofocal wides. If so, one day we'd see a digital Hassy SWC (DROOL.) The lenses move so much from near to infinity that there is no way to optimize the microlens array on top of a sensor without having some sort of possibly organic medium which changes the light path with the focused distance to correct for the oblique rays. This is the whole reason I invested in a Nikon 8000 scanner. Specifically so I could shoot with that lovely 50mm lens on my Mamiya 6. A digital equivalent just isn't possible at this point in our digital adolescence.

Sorry for the digression. These aren’t the droids I was looking for.

Phil Forrest

There are some pretty astounding modern lens designs possible with aspherical elements, especially with a fixed lens, and, with a fixed lens, you can tailor the sensor to the lens. The lens in the RX1 may be the best lens I've used at the 62 degree viewing angle.

Sounds like it could be interesting, but with FF (and smaller) cameras delivering huge file sizes and some very fast lenses still sharp wide open I'm a little unsure as to who exactly it would be marketed for.

The Pentax 645 digital is the reason I somewhat understand why don't they have a full-frame single-digit K body yet.

If Fuji and Sony pulls this off, maybe one day we'll see a digital Rolleiflex (TLR of course).

Now that would get me excited about digital again :D

The A7r / D800e are seeemingly on the cusp of MF resolution already and sensors will just keep getting better / larger.
Compared to 645, yes they're very close but as you go bigger, digital is no match. Even the cutting edge 80MP FF 645 digital sensors can only match the 6x9 film resolution.

Also, sensors can keep improving but lenses will still be limited by things like diffraction, manufacturing costs and size.

Bring back some version of the EBC 90mm f3.5 from the GW690 series would sure be cool !
The 90/3.5 is a nice lens on 6x7 and 6x9 but on the small 44x33mm sensor it won't be all that interesting. They'll likely make something faster.

As for medium format, I like shooting with Biogon formulation lenses and I doubt the sensor array could ever be optimized for such non-retrofocal wides.
The Sony RX1(r) is a good example of a prime lens sitting virtually flush on a digital sensor and producing very good resolution. A lot of point and shoots also have lenses sitting right up close but they have zoom lenses.

The 90/3.5 is a nice lens on 6x7 and 6x9 but on the small 44x33mm sensor it won't be all that interesting. They'll likely make something faster.

Like an 80/1.9 or 180/2.8? Got some around of those :D Be prepared! But honestly if they can't at least get 45x60 then they shouldn't even try. There are already 70x70 sensors available out of catalogue so it is possible.

Compared to 645, yes they're very close but as you go bigger, digital is no match. Even the cutting edge 80MP FF 645 digital sensors can only match the 6x9 film resolution.

Also, sensors can keep improving but lenses will still be limited by things like diffraction, manufacturing costs and size.

The Sony RX1(r) is a good example of a prime lens sitting virtually flush on a digital sensor and producing very good resolution. A lot of point and shoots also have lenses sitting right up close but they have zoom lenses.

Interestingly, the new RX1 is rumored to have the curved sensor Sony has been showing off, which should really be special in terms of falloff and corner resolution. We'll see.

I think that the camera would use a 44x33mm sensor to keep lens designs smaller and more compact. Maybe f/4 lenses as well?

Back