fujifilm X-T5 is it really worth it?

Beemermark

Mentor
Local time
8:46 AM
I got suckered into the X system years ago when a gentleman in NYC swapped me an X-E1(E2?), then moved up to an X-Pro2 which I sorta like and then an X-Pro 3 which I hated. Sold that and bought a new X-E3 and really like it. Big plus is that it's small and easy to navigate the menus. So I'm taking some European trips next year for our 50th anniversary. I'd really like in body stabilization, weather sealing (so-so) but do I really need the 40mp sensor? It's the in body stabilization I really want but I don't want a big, heavy, camera. Maybe the X-T4 or even the S20. This isn't which is more affordable, can afford them all.

I have an X-T5 and I don't find it that cumbersome, but it is somewhat bigger than your X-E3:

The X-T4 is actually bigger and heavier than the X-T5.

40 megapixels is sometimes useful, but at high ISO it does not compete with full frame. On the other hand noise reduction software is now so good that maybe this is't important.

I have XT5 amd have had the xe3 and XPro2…the XT5 is the best of the three, excellent EVF, good IBIs, still small, fast operation…if those things are important to you then i would recommend it.

You wont really see significant benefit from the 40MP vs the 24 on the camera you have, IQ is maybe marginally better but hardly noticeable

XS20 is another option, but is not that much smaller than XT5 and loses the nice EVF. For my use case i wanted a big EVF, makes the experience of shooting much nicer.

Join the club. My 'relationship' with Fuji cameras is similar to yours. Love and hate.

I decided to go with Fuji three years ago (an act of Covid madness, perhaps!) and initially bought into the XT line. An XT1 I disliked as it stubbornly refused to do what I wanted it to, mostly give me reasonable colors in the mid-tones which were all over the place. A loaned XT1 produced the same results. So out it went, traded for an XT2 which I then found had sharpness issues. Ditto. Sold.

Reluctantly, I came to the conclusion (entirely for myself, I'll add) that while I like the Fujinon lenses, for the most part the Fuji cameras do not suit me. Unfortunately, I learned this at considerable cost, but then most useful lessons in life have a price anyway.

By then I had acquired five Fujinons, including TWO (yes, two) 18-55s which I loved. Ditto an 18/2.0, a lens most users think is meh! but for me it works. A borrowed 27/2.8 did nothing for me. Ditto the 35/2.0, both are lovely lenses but almost never used. So they got marched out to my camera dealer on consignment (and sold quickly, I have to say).

By sheer luck I picked up an XE2 from a friend. This small beast does everything I want it to do, tho' I will admit the learning curve with it took time. Colors were hit and miss but finally I worked out a system that suits me. Online you can find several good Fuji web sites with much useful information, particularly so if you are into film simulations (which I'm not).

Recently I had an opportunity to buy an XE2 and an XE3 and passed on both, mostly as these cameras while (I'm sure) are good, they are not made in Japan. This is a particular fetish of mine. QC in Japan has always been superb. In other Asian countries, well. Notably, the XE4 is made in Indonesia, and users have reported massive quality control problems with them.

There is no end of crap posted on the web about Fuji cameras. Too much reading often leads to overthinking, confusion, analysis paralysis. One thing I've learned from all my Fuji experiences is, megapixels are like much of so-called adulthood - overrated.

If you like the XE range, I strongly recommend that you stay with it. An XE3 can do (almost) everything a larger (and certainly more expensive) XT model will.

My suggestion is to take your XE3 and two of your favorite lenses to Europe with you. Enjoy your trip and look at places and things with your own eyes, not through a Fuji viewfinder. Enjoy some good food, drink too much champagne, rekindle the romance. Half a century is a good run with the same partner, you are a lucky man indeed!

My choices in travel lenses would be the '14/2.8 (or the '18/2.0 if '14 is too wide for you) and the 18-55 kit lens. Lens hoods, UVs, a spare card, maybe a portable tripod. That's it.

Purely my thoughts. The ultimate goal is to enjoy the trip, after all.

I got suckered into the X system years ago when a gentleman in NYC swapped me an X-E1(E2?), then moved up to an X-Pro2 which I sorta like and then an X-Pro 3 which I hated. Sold that and bought a new X-E3 and really like it. Big plus is that it's small and easy to navigate the menus. So I'm taking some European trips next year for our 50th anniversary. I'd really like in body stabilization, weather sealing (so-so) but do I really need the 40mp sensor? It's the in body stabilization I really want but I don't want a big, heavy, camera. Maybe the X-T4 or even the S20. This isn't which is more affordable, can afford them all.
Well, the difference printing at 300 dpi is a 3 inch by 5 inch difference. That is what the 40mp gets you vs. 26mp. A 26mp image is 14x21" at 300dpi (and of course you can print at lower DPIs and get away with it too at the expense of fine detail up close and personal). If you do not print larger than that, you will not need 40mp. Really, megapixels come in handy for printing large with fine detail and for cropping (all other sensor attributes aside).

Nothing wrong with being a Fujifilm sucker. I'm one too... I use the X-E4, X-Pro3 and GFX-50R currently (and will not buy anything else until the X-Pro4).

Honestly, go X-T5 or just bring your X-E3. As others have said, the X-T4 is the biggest / ugliest of the series, but it is a cheaper way of getting IBIS in a higher end, recent Fuji. The X-S20 is PSAM and has the X-E3 style EVF size....it´s probably very nice, but not for a Fuji purist like me. ;)

An X-T5 is a real upgrade in Fuji being a very recent camera, it is refined. Even if you do not need the 40mp sensor.

Last edited:
I'm a proud Fujifilm Sucker! I've got more Fujifilm sucker gear than the law allows.

I'm currently in love with my X-T2 camera / 16-80mm f4 lens combination. I take this rig on travel and to locations around where I live. I use this combo with a tripod and a 10 stop ND filter. There's no end to the joy this gear set brings to me (and my photography adventures).

I also like the X-S20 camera but I'm not inclined to recommend it. It works for me but I bet many others will find the EFV a bit shity.

BTW, the X100V is the ultimate travel camera - no lie!

All the best,
Mike

There’s no real downside to having more resolution. My digital camera is a Panasonic S1r. It makes beautiful pictures that look better than any previous digital camera I’ve had. That’s not all resolution but it helps by smoothing things out even when they are downsamples for smaller viewing. If everything else about the cy-5 works for you don’t worry about the 40Mp instead of 26.

Rumours are that a few new Fuji cameras will be released early next year. Maybe it would be worth waiting a few months if you can. There may be a new camera that would suit you better than the X-T5. I'm hoping for an X-Pro4.

I've been off on a cruise so a little late in replying. One thing I've learned (but already knew) my 18~55mm lens does everything. I end up carrying primes I never use. I like wides and have always been in undecided to take the old kit lens 16-55 or the newer better 18-55. Solution is I need to buy the the new 16~55/4. The posts on this forum have made me decide the X-T5 is the correct camera = mostly for the IBS. I'm not taking my trip until next June and I'm hoping Fujifilm comes out with a new X-E5

I've been using the 18-55 for a bunch of years now and I'm sorta considering the 16-80 as a replacement. F4 is a win/lose deal and I shoot more at wide than anything so the lose is there, I do like to extend my lenses and the constant f4 and the extra 25mm are the win.

Mark: I am still using the 90 I purchased from you about three or four years ago. I upgraded to the X-T5 from the X-T4 and don't really see much difference in output or handling. On my last trip with the X-T5 I left the primes at home and had the Sigma 18-50 f2.8 on the camera. I loved it. I think Fuji nailed it as for the ergonomics, film simulations, and camera size. X-T4 or X-T5 would be your choice but the X-T5 is smaller and that Sigma zoom super small.

I have been in the Philippines scuba diving since Oct, 2023, with visits to Hong Kong and NZ. I will be back in USA to do my taxes in April but walking 95 miles in Scotland in May. I will be carrying a film body with 35/90 lenses and a GR3 which has been my only camera for the last six months. Both the Fuji and Leica have been living in Alaska.

KTMrider, good to hear from you. My two favorite places are Glasgow & Northern Spain. You're doing a lot of traveling in the last 3 or 4 years. I have too but I hate (hate) flying so much of it has been in the USA . The European trips is because the wife wishes it so. Mostly I want IBS. How do you like the Sigma lens? BTW I just can't get used to anything wider than 50mm. Having a current love affair with 21mm.

I have not owned anything wider than 35 for Leica system since my 25 and 90 were stolen. That is why I purchased your 90. I picked up a new MP in Hong Kong for $1100 less than US price. And I added a Zeiss 21 f2.8 Biogon to my M mount lenses. I hope I bond with it more than I have with that focal length in the past. I also picked up a small 50f2.8 Elmar Ver2 Collapsable for travel. Hate having more than one lens/focal length but 50f1.2 or 35f1.2 are too big to carry on long distance walks. Am thinking 21/50/135 for Scotland if I can bring myself to leave the 35 and 90 behind (hotel luggage). The GR3 will be in the pack just in case.

I go round and round about owning too much equipment. If film were just a bit more convient, I would never touch digital. I still love the film process and the rangefinder camera but on other days nothing beats technology. I traveled all last summer with the X-T5 and the 18-50f2.8 Sigma zoom leaving all my Fuji primes (23,35,52 and fisheye) in Anchorage. Now I am not a zoom guy but that little Sigma is perfect on the X-T5, especially for travel (it is the only zoom I have actually purchased). It never comes off and f2.8 is fast enough with digital ISO. It is strange owning a lens that does not have an aperture ring. You have to set the f stop of the Sigma using the front control wheel of the camera while using the viewfinder for the value readout. For an old film user like me, that took a bit getting used to. But I am thinking of selling the primes and keeping the X-T5 with the Sigma 18-50 only. GAS sucks as I am wondering about trading all the Fuji stuff for a Nikon Zf. However, the Fuji is much smaller and lighter being APS-C and I use digital for travel, especially if I am feeling lazy. Honestly, technology is so good these days I put everything on "auto" and just monitor the shutter speed and f-stop to make sure I agree or that the shutter is set high enough for the subject. Have never even turned on the "video" of either the X-T4 or X-T5. The Nikon Zf is interesting (and cheap compared to Leica as I was eyeing the Q3 in Hong Kong (but $6000 I don't think so)).

In fact, both the Leica and Fuji are in my condo in Anchorage. I traveled to the Philippines last October with a Ricoh GR3 and a GoPro (for underwater photography). I don't like half ass photos and that is what I produce when I take photos scuba diving so I ended up giving the GoPro to one of the local dive crew as I did not even take one photo in the first month of diving. And I had not touched the GoPro in the three years since I left the Philippines due to Covid. I spent January in NZ with the GR3 and found it is the perfect travel camera. I purchased the optical finder for the GR3 and find I prefer to use the rear LCD. Now the optical finder has frame lines for 21 and 28. Guess where that finder is going to end up? On top of the M4 or MP when I have the 21 on the front. I have not owned a 28 for years preferring a 35 FOV but the GR3 is quickly becoming a favorite (sold my X100F on getting GR3) and I have not missed the X100f and am not tempted at all by the X100vi. If I had to do it over again, I would have purchased the GR3X instead for the 40 FOV (so close to 35). I purchased a cheap fisheye for the X-T5 to photograph slot canyons (Antelope Canyon in Page, Arizona specifically) but found it was way too wide but it only cost $150 so what the hell.

Also, I have never been much of a tripod user and have handheld the Leica at 1/15 and 1/8 successfully but I know both are pretty much luck of the draw to get something sharp. IBIS is revolutionary and I have not but need to do some night photo walks with the Fuji primes as they are all f2 except for the 52f1.2 (have not used it like I should). I really like IBIS when using one of the longer focal lengths hand held in marginal light (too bad IBIS can't be put on a film camera).

I saw the Fuji X-T30 a couple months ago in a camera store in NZ. Wow, I had no idea how small it was. Does the XE4 have IBIS? Honestly, the XT5 is pretty small. Of course, you need to get to a Fuji dealer and handle each as ergonomics is the name of the game as every modern digital has more features than anyone needs. But it all depends on how those features are accessed. I did one long hike in northern England (C2C or Coast to Coast 212 miles about six years ago with the X20 (I think, fixed 28 lens) and then the following year my wife and I hiked 80 miles around Loch Ness. I gave her the X20 to use and it being Scotland, it poured. We found the camera in an inch of water in the bottom of her pack. I was NOT happy but marriage causes censorship if you want to stay married. The GR3 fills that roll pretty well.

Hope this answers your questions about the X-T5. I see B&H has used one's as well as used X-T4's. The X-T4 is cheaper but not by that much and with digital technology if buying new, I would rather have the latest.

And after writing the above post, I spent a couple hours on YouTube watching videos comparing the full frame Nikon Zf with the Fuji X-T5. It seems like it is six of one half dozen of the other. Both controls and output were rated better depending on the taste of the reviewer so that pretty much drives a stake through the heart of GAS for a Nikon Zf. I had just assumed that the larger sensor in the Nikon Zf would be better in all circumstances (like 35mm film and medium format). I assumed wrong!

Since I use digital mainly for travel, the smaller APS-C camera and lenses win. And the Ricoh GR3 has pretty much done the same for the Leica Q3 and Fuji X100VI. I might pay for a X100VI but not for a Q3 priced at $6000 for a point and shoot. Of course Leica's film cameras are $5600 for technology from 1953 or 1980 so go figure.

Last edited:
KTM I really like my X-E3, and I went through a number of Fujifilm cameras to arrive at this one. Small , light, and everything you could want. I still like my M4, M7, and, M9. The M9 is the newest and that's probably more than 20 years old. I was interested in IBS because I have essential tremors and can no longer shoot at slower shutter speeds. For my Leica's it's the 21mm ( have three - 21 SA, 21/3.4 and a 21 Avenon), a 28 Elmarit and 35 Summicron, both that I've owned for more that 20 (30?) years. Don't know how many 50' I own. Can't never decide if I like the 28 or 35 more. When I sold you that 90 I told you I had an older model on the shelf. Even though I pack it on trips I don't thing I've ever used it -:)

The extra resolution specifically from X-T5 in my opinion is not worth it. Currently I use the X-Pro3 with the A7rIII (42,4 MP) and the extra resolution is only important when you want to print very large or crop often. BUT, Fuji's high MP sensor for some reason (the x-trans?) is not very detailed. People have found this also with the new X100VI but that is also affected by the old lens.

So my vote would go for the S20/X-T4, or if you want to get a small bump in picture quality (and arguably a better camera overall) and don't mind the size go with the Zf. Of course if your style (aesthetics, handling) fits the X-T5 then by all means it is a great camera and probably faster with better construction than the S20, but then again there is the X-T4... I have the X-T1 and it is still rocking.

Here are some samples from DPreview:

1710223758729.png

1710223885322.png

Last edited:
After all my struggles with the Fuji system, I've decided it may be worth while hanging in with a new XT. All the more so as the six Fujinon lenses I own produce such superb images.

As my annual gift to myself in '24 I will look for a later model XT than the XT1 and XT2 I've had in the past, and didn't really get on with, for many reasons mostly personal but largely to do with so-so colors and mid-tones. Most Fuji owners I've spoken to about this all said I had three (secondhand) 'sucker' XTs but to me that seems to be a high number of flukes for such a reputable manufacturer.

Here in Australia prices for the XT5 are in the stratosphere. Given my budget, I will wait for a good secondhand one, and then consider buying after testing it. Mi seller kindly lets me do that on loan for one or two days.

This may well be easier (and I hope cheaper) than moving into the Nikon Z series as I've long had my usual vague plans to do, even with a Zfc and a kit lens which looks to be a top shooter. At my age, smaller cameras are the way to go, and in this Fuji outdoes Nikon by several bricks.

Last edited:
Back