Frivolous Purchase: 50/3.5 Helier or 50/1.1 Nokton?

3.5 is too slow for an all around lens;
1.1 is too big for an all around lens.

concerning utility -- that's all true of course, a commonplace --

but the question HERE is frivolity!

If I'd be an old flippant bachelor without children and so on, I would suffer, if I would not have BOTH ;-)

So, opinions vary - but if I had to advise a fast CV lens - it would be 50/1.5, 35/1.2. or 35/1.7.
As far as Heliar goes - I used to have a 50/2 version and while it was not bad and had it's character - I just have way too many other 50mm lenses I like better. . . .
So, if I had some money to burn - I'd get something challenging - like a CV 15 or even 12mm lens. Those are fun and photos I have seen from them impress me far more than ones from either Nokton 50/1.1 or Heliar 50/3.5.

Krosya: a thoughtful analysis, as always, and I agree with your advice generically. I agree with it so much, in fact, that I actually already have the CV lenses you describe. Now I am looking for something with a different flavor and, the more I think about it, the 50/1.1 will fit the bill. I have been very tempted both by the Canon 1.2 lens and by a converted 0.95 lens. But the prices on those in good condition approach the price for a new Nockton . . . so why not get the modern coatings and the warranty?

Thanks for all the responses.

Ben Marks

Back