Found my old Fuji F10 and it works!

x-ray

Mentor
Local time
5:22 AM
I was recently going through a box of forgotten camera “stuff” and found my Fuji F10. I didn’t have much hope that the batteries would be any good and wouldn’t have been surprised if it didn’t work at all. But I was really amazed after charging the batteries, it works and still makes great photos.

Anyone else have one of the F series pocket cameras?

I had forgotten that the F took XD cards. If you want a real shock look up what these sell for. I guess they’ve been out of production for some time but luck me I have 5 including 2 2 gig cards.

Post your comments and images.

Attachments

• IMG_4576.jpeg
    IMG_4576.jpeg
    342 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4577.jpeg
    IMG_4577.jpeg
    329.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4578.jpeg
    IMG_4578.jpeg
    270.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Skull.jpeg
    Skull.jpeg
    166.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Pigly.jpeg
    Pigly.jpeg
    121.9 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF0153.jpeg
    DSCF0153.jpeg
    179.1 KB · Views: 14
Dear x-ray,

Like you I still have a few old cameras laying around. No Fuji's other than an X-20, but I have a set of perfectly working Olympus C-2040, Olympus C-4040, and an Olympus C-5050's. I even have a couple of 128 mpeg Smart cards and a working card reader. I use them a couple of times each year to make sure they still work, using ISO 64 and pretending I'm shooting Kodachrome!

The C-2040 was a given to me by a dear friend to prompt me into digital photography. Little did he know how much money I'd blow following up on his gift! ;)

The old things still work, and still take fine pictures, which is rather amazing since they were made almost 20 years ago. In this day and age it's tough to get 20 years out of a washing machine or a refrigerator. Twenty years out of a digital camera is a real plus.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg PA :)

I occasionally look back at digital images I’ve made since 2000 (Nikon D1) and they were pretty good if you gave them good light and shot in raw. While formatting the cards for the F10 I discovered one that had images from a trip my wife gave me to Point Lobos California for my 60th birthday 15 years ago. I’m going to download them tomorrow.

I have the Fuji F30, which is coincidentally sitting on the desk in front of me right now. It was purchased in 2007, the first of the stock that came to my local camera shop; the F30 photos by Hugo Poon on flickr were what prompted me to buy it. The xD cards are a bit of a trip, but like you, I have two xD cards. The battery in the F30 is the same as used by the Fuji X100 and Ricoh GXR, so there would be no problem with spare batteries. If you are after spares for the F10, aftermarket products are readily available.

I also have a Fuji X10, the first of the 2/3 inch X-Trans sensor cameras. It has a fully manual 28-90mm f2-2.8 zoom, unlike any other compact camera I've seen. It shoots raw, unlike the F30.

If you have any photos from one of the old F series post them. The F10 certainly wasn’t perfect but was capable of some nice images.

The attached images were shot 16 years ago.

Attachments

• DSCF4289.jpeg
    DSCF4289.jpeg
    234.4 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF4321.jpeg
    DSCF4321.jpeg
    194.8 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF4227.jpeg
    DSCF4227.jpeg
    260.5 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCF4257.jpeg
    DSCF4257.jpeg
    353.9 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCF4218.jpeg
    DSCF4218.jpeg
    332.3 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCF4215.jpeg
    DSCF4215.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCF4152.jpeg
    DSCF4152.jpeg
    487.8 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF4186.jpeg
    DSCF4186.jpeg
    515.7 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF4197.jpeg
    DSCF4197.jpeg
    295 KB · Views: 15
My wife still has her Sony Mavica 300 CD as well as her first digital, a Casio QV100A. Both work still, the Sony uses a small CD disk which is probably unplayable on modern disc readers now, the Casio has only it's onboard storage so I imagine it is still a viable shooter.

My wife still has her Sony Mavica 300 CD as well as her first digital, a Casio QV100A. Both work still, the Sony uses a small CD disk which is probably unplayable on modern disc readers now, the Casio has only it's onboard storage so I imagine it is still a viable shooter.
I’m not familiar with theCasio but remember the Mavica. The one I was familiar with was the one that recorded on a floppy disc. I never used one but knew people that owned them.

I think my first really good point and shoot was the Canon G10 which I still have. Shooting in raw it’s capable of making very good images. Unfortunately the video it produces is pretty bad.

Photos made with the G10 in raw.

Attachments

• 2460.jpeg
    2460.jpeg
    262.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 2570.jpeg
    2570.jpeg
    402.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 2348.jpeg
    2348.jpeg
    417 KB · Views: 7
I’m not familiar with theCasio but remember the Mavica. The one I was familiar with was the one that recorded on a floppy disc. I never used one but knew people that owned them.

I think my first really good point and shoot was the Canon G10 which I still have. Shooting in raw it’s capable of making very good images. Unfortunately the video it produces is pretty bad.

Photos made with the G10 in raw.
The G10's raw files were surprisingly good. I recall looking at raw files processed with Canon's DPP and thinking how great they were for a small sensor camera. In good light, the photos were very lifelike.

Here are a few F30 images. I have loads more, but not many in my flickr account.

F30 - letterbox at 550 by Archiver, on Flickr

F30 - Aliens among us by Archiver, on Flickr

F30 - Southbank by dusk comparison by Archiver, on Flickr

A few more F30 images:

This was taken in Hong Kong in 2008. One 2GB card over a few days, and I don't think I needed to charge the battery at all. Today, my pocket camera for an overseas trip would be the Panasonic LX10 for its 24mm equivalent f1.4 lens and excellent 4k video.

F30 - The Coming of the New by Archiver, on Flickr

This was taken in the morning at an old girlfriend's house.

F30 - Morning Light by Archiver, on Flickr

Not the best photo, but this is the late Japanese composer Ryuichi Sakamoto, live in Melbourne performing Insen with Alva Noto, back in 2006. Has it really been 18 years since then?

F30 - Ryuichi Sakamoto in concert by Archiver, on Flickr

This was taken at the end of 2006, immediately after some major bushfires were sweeping through country Victoria. The smoke drifted for hundreds of kilometres and made the sun bright red. But this image doesn't show the red sun. The image is from the F30's black and white setting.

F30 - St Kilda Pier Smoke by Archiver, on Flickr

Back