For anyone who is a member of Facebook

iSilentP

Local time
3:25 AM
Greetings. For anyone who is a member of Facebook, I created a new FB group called "Pimped-out Fujifilm-X" because I thought it would be a great place for us Fuji lovers to post images of how we have accessorized our beloved Fuji gear. Since my switch to Fuji about 4 years ago, I am always looking at ways to improve the usability (and looks) of my gear. I have found sporadic posts all over the internet that depict how others have done just that. Thought it would be a great idea to create this centralized group where its sole purpose is for members of the Fuji communities to post images of their gear. I think over time this can become a valuable resource for sharing our experiences with accessories that either worked out as expected or didn't live up to expectations. I am inviting anyone interested in joining to please swing by, sign up and participate. I hope this will grow into something that will add some value to the on-line Fuji community. The link is below. Thanks for your consideration.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/206059773312634

Facebook deletions

Facebook deletions

I realize that FB is not for everyone, especially with the latest news, but wanted to make as many Fuji users aware of this new group.

My girlfriend and I have been trying to delete her facebook account for ages, and so far nothing works. Facebook is evil. I can't stand that oh-so-smug owner of theirs.

Facebook is just one of thousands of companies that builds models of people that can be purchased. Assume anything you put online can be attributed to you in some form.

At least people have had the opportunity to know Facebook gathered and sold data for a long time. Other profiling companies - used mostly for marketing with data available to anyone with money - are more nefarious.

At the most extreme, a simple ad displayed can read all sorts of innocent information about your PC - resolution, your region of the world, etc. The ad can store the data and then compare it against other 'profiles' pulled from other sources. While it can't be 100% sure it is the same individual, tracking and comparing enough variables can provide improve the probability of a match.

Users in Europe will have much more control about their profile and identity due to legislation about to go in to effect. It requires true data deletion and identity removal - and fines for failing to comply - that are downright scary and potentially difficult to completely implement. Its a step in the right direction though and hopefully will spread.

I deleted my facebook account about 7 years ago. It wasn't easy by the way.

Are you sure you deleted it 7 years ago? I tried around the same time and I agree it was not easy - either to find out how to do it or to actually do it. What is more, years later I found out it was never actually deleted. It was only deactivated - my account was still there in the aether. As a "service" to users you understand. Just in case you ever changed your mind. (Cough)

Apparently it is now easier to do permanently (after pressure was placed on FB) and this article gives the link to do it.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/20/17142806/how-to-delete-facebook-page-account-data-privacy

Facebook is evil. I can't stand that oh-so-smug owner of theirs.

How can anyone resist that smile? What's not to love?

zuckerberg0716.jpg

Can't do facebook (I gave up my account when they started to claim absolute ownership of everything posted on their site) but I'd take a long, hard look at a flickr group.

Never been so happy that I never joined FB, What's App and Instagram.
I do not believe in their way to do...
robert
PS: of course I know other companies can profile you...

Never been so happy that I never joined FB, What's App and Instagram.
I do not believe in their way to do...
robert
PS: of course I know other companies can profile you...
I'm with you, Robert. I once read that when something is free, then you are the product. Turns out that was true.

My girlfriend and I have been trying to delete her facebook account for ages, and so far nothing works. Facebook is evil. I can't stand that oh-so-smug owner of theirs.

Just repeatedly post some photos that show female nipples and it will go away. Remember, Nazis and hate groups OK, exposed nipples bad.

Are you sure you deleted it 7 years ago? I tried around the same time and I agree it was not easy - either to find out how to do it or to actually do it. What is more, years later I found out it was never actually deleted. It was only deactivated - my account was still there in the aether. As a "service" to users you understand. Just in case you ever changed your mind. (Cough)

Apparently it is now easier to do permanently (after pressure was placed on FB) and this article gives the link to do it.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/20/17142806/how-to-delete-facebook-page-account-data-privacy
Positive. It took a lot of work but facebook has been fully deleted and will stay that way.

I had to have an account when the museum I was volunteering at requested it. As soon as I left the museum back in '09, I asked for it to be deleted, but likely it's still alive and well. I've never looked to see if it is still there, and threw away the password a long time ago.

And yeah, it is a strange time to try a start-up group on FB. You might not get many takers.

PF

Back