Fixing Thread Binding

chuckroast

Well-known
Local time
6:22 AM
I have a just acquired beautiful (like new) Vogtlander Color-Skopar 21mm f/4 in an LTM mount. The front ring acts as sort of a mini lens shade and is intended to be unthreaded to accomodate the VH-1 hood.

The problem is that getting that ring to initially let go is really tough. Once I mange to get it to release 1/10 turn or so, it comes right off. I've tried wiping a very light coat of silicone grease onto the ring threads and also onto the threaded portion of the lens that receives it, but that was little to no help. Threading the ring all the way on - even very gently - results in it binding and become difficult to unthread.

I've also seen this with filter threads from time to time on other lenses.

Does anyone have the magic sauce for fixing this sort thing?

The ring is too flexible to be gripped from both sides of the outside; it only squeezes it tighter onto the lens threads when you do that.

To unscrew the ring do not grip it on both sides. Just hold one side of the ring (thumb and forefinger gripping the inner and outer part of one side of the ring) to unscrew it.

I hope this makes sense to you. It would be easier to show you than to tell you.

All the best,
Mike

Standard equipment in all of my bags is a fat rubber band (the kind that's used to bind together broccoli in the supermarket). As Mike said above, the binding can come from the distortion that occurs when you squeeze the hood or filter ring or whatever. The rubber band allows a firm grip without squeezing.

The ring is too flexible to be gripped from both sides of the outside; it only squeezes it tighter onto the lens threads when you do that.

To unscrew the ring do not grip it on both sides. Just hold one side of the ring (thumb and forefinger gripping the inner and outer part of one side of the ring) to unscrew it.

I hope this makes sense to you. It would be easier to show you than to tell you.

All the best,
Mike

Pure genius. A gentle grip and it comes right off. It only took me 50 years of shooting film to find this out .,.. old dogs, new trix, etc..

Thanks!

Standard equipment in all of my bags is a fat rubber band (the kind that's used to bind together broccoli in the supermarket). As Mike said above, the binding can come from the distortion that occurs when you squeeze the hood or filter ring or whatever. The rubber band allows a firm grip without squeezing.

A very good idea, methinks. But I gotta ask, doesn't the broccoli get all over your lenses???

Back