First walk with Quattro H

sinapps

Local time
8:39 PM
Trying hard to like the camera. Viewfinder is awful. Autofocus is iffy. Takes a lot more care to get a sharp image. But hard to argue with colors once all else is ignored.

45668444752_36c093e223_z_d.jpg

31847387088_62d965ba51_z_d.jpg

31847396308_5b3fecf35b_z_d.jpg

44805156065_fdc61b805a_z_d.jpg

44805165445_2ed5d46978_z_d.jpg

High res here:
Flickr

Vibrant contrastful colors !

Is it right out of the camera, or shot in raw and edited?

Seems a nice neighbourhood, for your next walk, try to find a basket court, a gas station and a corner building too ^^

Try Raw+JPEG in the natural color setting. The JPEG engine in the sdQH can be fantastic.

Shawn

I agree with Shawn. The natural color jpegs are excellent. I don't use RAW due to Sigma's slow RAW processing software. But I do use the DNG setting from time to time.. works great.

Thanks for posting these images. Its nice to see what the 21:9 format looks like. I haven't tried that format yet, but may give it a try now. :)

Those files look as good as film. Wait, did I say that?

The ergonomics are a bummer, and not everybody is gonna like that image ratio, but the colour is really good.

Thanks for posting these images. Its nice to see what the 21:9 format looks like. I haven't tried that format yet, but may give it a try now. :)

21:9 is fun and the camera gives two options for how it displays that. You have have solid black bars in EVF/LCD or you can set them to be translucent but darker which lets you see a little outside of the 21:9 frame. If you are shooting RAW that is also handy to see the entire 3:2 sensor area so you can just shoot as is. In SPP you can then just change the AR from 21:9 to 3:2 to get back to the full sensor data.

Shawn

21:9 is fun and the camera gives two options for how it displays that. You have have solid black bars in EVF/LCD or you can set them to be translucent but darker which lets you see a little outside of the 21:9 frame. If you are shooting RAW that is also handy to see the entire 3:2 sensor area so you can just shoot as is. In SPP you can then just change the AR from 21:9 to 3:2 to get back to the full sensor data.

Shawn

Thanks, Shawn. Re: SPP, I'll likely not dip my toe into that. I'm happy enough with jpegs and DNG. For me, SPP is another learning curve I can do without.

With DNGs in 21:9 the whole sensor data is there too but it is difficult to get at it in LR. I think you need a plug in. I just used a different program.

Hear you about SPP. It is kind of wacky (and slow) but it can do a nice job. It also offered some corrections that were needed with adapted lenses to deal with color casts. Loved the Rokinon 14mm on the sdQH but it needed SPP for corrections.

Shawn

I bought this camera specifically for the 21:9 in the viewfinder. This is the main reason I'm struggling - the viewfinder (functionality) is awful. I hate how it drops to low res when focusing.

I'm used to walking around with a tiny Olympus and hand-holding at 1/15 with sharp results. This camera is forcing me to slow down which, after a painful transition, will not be a bad thing. I know it would when I was researching it.

The SPP software is not too bad. I don't usually do batches and work on one image at a time. I like the idea of getting every last bit of sharpness out of each image and can deal with the slow speed.

With DNGs in 21:9 the whole sensor data is there too but it is difficult to get at it in LR. I think you need a plug in. I just used a different program....

Shawn

Hi Shawn,

The above is an interesting read. I'm quite a simple guy and assumed that because the 21:9 aspect ratio was a crop, then the IQ would be proportionately lowered as a result?

Have I read your post right? Is this not the case? I'm mega confused (doesn't take much!)

Back