first trip to London

mich8261

Well-known
Local time
5:46 AM
I'll be traveling to London next month for business and will tag on a weekend of R&R. This is my first trip to London if you don't count the 12 hour layover I had back in the 90s where I basically grabbed a pint and dinner.

This will also be my first trip traveling only with a rangefinder, no SLR crutch allowed. I am hoping for some recommendations on neighbourhoods that are worth visiting that may not be on the regular tourist agenda. Also is there any point shooting colour in March? I am planning on bringing along some Tri-X, maybe a roll of Scala and some 3200 film (undecided, I might just push the Tri-X).

And finally, any place cheap to stay (hotel, B&B, etc.)

Thanks in advance.

hey! welcome to my playground.

As for you tips - London has LOTS to offer so it's going to be down to what you like shooting. Can I suggest you have a look my shots in flickr (tagged with "London") and give me some ideas what you like. I will then try my best to suggest areas.

As for light - come march, you will (if lucky) get the some lovely sunny mornings which will look fab in colour so i would bring a secondary body loaded with colour or a few rolls if it takes your fancy. Otherwise, we're at the tail end of winter so high asa film is a good idea definately.

Hotels/b&b - try the various sites for starters and come back to me if you have any more questions. PM if better.

Last edited:
You may want to try and get a shot of the former Swiss Re building (the gherkin) it is unique and pretty photogenic. I happened to glance up and quite by chance snapped this.

swissre.jpg

Not on your request list - but try to visit Aperture Photographic ( no connection! ) sit and drink coffee surrounded by glass cases full of old cameras and lenses!....beware of GAS!
Dave.

a Barnes and Noble but with camera gear instead of books. Fantastic. It's on the list!

Not on your request list - but try to visit Aperture Photographic ( no connection! ) sit and drink coffee surrounded by glass cases full of old cameras and lenses!....beware of GAS!
Dave.

boy_lah,
I really enjoyed your London set. You have a great eye for shapes and composition. First thing that struck me was how many of your pictures feature modern parts of London. I am not naive and know that the city is dynamic, but when I think of London, I think of old buildings.

So if you can recommend areas that have great modern architecture and others with more "traditional" feel. I especially like "real" working neighbourhoods.

Cheers.

hey! welcome to my playground.

As for you tips - London has LOTS to offer so it's going to be down to what you like shooting. Can I suggest you have a look my shots in flickr (tagged with "London") and give me some ideas what you like. I will then try my best to suggest areas.

As for light - come march, you will (if lucky) get the some lovely sunny mornings which will look fab in colour so i would bring a secondary body loaded with colour or a few rolls if it takes your fancy. Otherwise, we're at the tail end of winter so high asa film is a good idea definately.

Hotels/b&b - try the various sites for starters and come back to me if you have any more questions. PM if better.

Depends what you're after, but if you visit the "City" (as we call the financial district) at the weekend, you will find a mix of modern and ancient buildings, and it's virtually deserted. In fact, even on week nights, it completely empties out after about 8pm.

I would recommend the areas around Spitalfield and Smithfield Markets. They're interesting architecturally as well as providing lots of 'people' shots. Covent Garden would be worth a visit too, for similar reasons.
The South Bank is always interesting and in good light provides some classic shots. Under the National Theatre, there is an area that has been spraypainted with graffiti and gives some interesting shots, but you would need flash for that probably.

If you want a really nice full day out, head up to North West 3 (NW3). Start at Hampstead Tube Station (Northern Line), taking in the small hilltop village that during the plague and Great Fire functioned as England's capital (hence: Parliament Hill etc), and has historically been the home of great painters (Constable is buried in the pretty cemetery on Church Row), writers (including Keats, Robert Louis Stephenson, Aldous Huxley, Dorris Lessing, Kazuo Ishiguro etc, etc) and thinkers (the Coffee Cup on the High Street was a favourite of, amongst many others, Marx and Freud). Cut through Downshire Hill to Hampstead Heath (the capital's largest woodland) and cross Parliament Hill (for the best and most famous views of London) to Kenwood House (an old stately home in gorgeous grounds with a Henry Moore sculpture garden) to have a fantastic lunch of 'bangers and mash' before heading up to Highgate Village and cemetery where you'll find the graves of Marx, Douglas Adams, George Eliot and Henry Moore himself (amongst many others)...

It's my home (well, as well as Tel-Aviv), so I'm just a little bit proud of it :)

Parliament Hill (looking towards Highgate):
2731456161_894a961a1b_o.jpg

The Heath in the evening:
2820804868_9170ee4a81_b.jpg

Kenwood House:
2731455615_1623b09329_o.jpg

Flask Walk, Hampstead Village:
3278040757_a8b26916dd_o.jpg

Hampsead Tube:
3278863094_e87354f6b0_o.jpg

Last edited:
I can second Hampstead, the Camden Arts Centre is worth a visit there too, and Fenton House is worth a visit (http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-fentonhouse).

My recommendations would be:

Monmouth Coffee http://www.monmouthcoffee.co.uk/ourshops.htm for excellent coffee:

638753409_b526b2ac17_d.jpg

Scooterworks on Lower Marsh in Waterloo for (much more picturesque) coffee, also a nice bar in the evenings now:

2831327802_f751769c1c_d.jpg

The Barbican (in the city, which as wintoid mentioned is especially worth visiting at the weekend):

363369034_9e6994093b_d.jpg

The Seven Stars pub, Carey St. WC2A - it's run by a woman called Roxy Beaujolais, which is reason enough to go there, excellent food, beer and atmosphere too.

The Museum Tavern, on the same street as Aperture, my favourite beer Old Peculier on tap

Kew Gardens, mmm, I could go on but I'm getting homesick...

Agree about the Camden Arts Centre - and if we're talking about Monmouth Coffee, head to the one beside Borough Market and you can take in London's best food market at the same time. Don't eat IN the market (instead buy loads of little treats like cheeze at Monz, sea-salt fudge at Burnt Sugar and Truffle Honey), but instead eat at Wright Bros - one of London's largest oyster importers, they do some of the best fish and seafood in London.

http://www.wrightbros.eu.com/

For coffee, though, I prefer Flat White (Berwick St., Soho) to Monmouth - a bunch of anally retentive Kiwis and the best coffee I've ever had.

http://www.flat-white.co.uk/

Oh, and if you're already up in Hamstead, you can try my local pub - the Hollybush. Perched on the upper slopes of the Village, it has a great atmosphere, with old wood panelling and a really quiet, cozy feel.

http://www.hollybushpub.com/

If you're up for food, London has some of the best restaurants in the world.

For Japanese, the best sushi I've had outside of Japan is at Defune (George St., Marylebone, W1), whilst for amazing traditional Japanese cooking, Ikeda (Brook St., Mayfair, W1 - opposite Claridges) is unbeatable - with their 'counter' facing the kitchen, you can see all your food being meticulously prepared. Jin Kichi in Hampstead (Heath St. NW3) is probably my single favourite restaurant in the world - a traditional Izakaya (Japanese pub) with a charcoal grill for skewers and a great, fun, cozy atmsophere ( http://www.jinkichi.com/ ) and you can follow it with a film at the Everyman cinema also on Heath St. - huge comfy sofas with wine and cake service to your seat http://www.everymancinema.com/cinemas/index.asp?ci=2&ln=1 )

For Indian, Tayyabs is an ultra-cheap North Indian (Pakistani) in Whitechapel with the best Indian I've ever had. http://tayyabs.co.uk/

Whilst for Chinese, Royal China Club on Baker St., W1 has the best Cantonese and dim-sum (midday - 5pm) I've had outside of Hong Kong. Less trendy than the famous Yauatcha, but from experience, much more original and consistently excellent.

For Italian: pasta Oliveto's (Elizabeth St., Belgravia) takes some beating, whilst for Pizza you can't get better than Red Pepper (Fomosa St. Maida Vale) - a nice spot to walk around the canals of Little Venice afterwards...

If you want simple, contemporary European in an art-deco, relaxed atmosphere, try Le Caprice (http://www.le-caprice.co.uk/) - just off Picadilly and a lovely place for a night out with great food and a welcoming, speak-easy feel...

Anyway, hope that'll help. Now I'm getting ridiculously homesick as well :-(

(EDITED: If you're travelling alone and don't want to spend too much money, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Tayyabs, Jin Kichi (ask for a 'counter seat') and Wright Bros. - in none of them will you feel uncomfortable dining on your own.)

Last edited:
And for the camera 'thang' - March is probably the best time for colour film. The light is soft and delicate, especially in the mornings and evenings...

Minolta TC-1, Kodak 400VC, about this time of year...

2900273412_954af4b62a_o.jpg

(Heading to the South Bank Centre - you should check out what's on at the Hayward gallery - http://www.haywardgallery.org.uk/ )

I hope you don't mind so many recommendations - my girlfriend and I are both pretty sick in Buenos Aires having caught something nasty at the Bolivian border. We're ill bored, and a little fed up...

Depends what you're after, but if you visit the "City" (as we call the financial district) at the weekend, you will find a mix of modern and ancient buildings, and it's virtually deserted. In fact, even on week nights, it completely empties out after about 8pm.

It's empty all the time now :D

Hey - great thread this one has turned out to be. Some fab pix and i even learnt a few new spots in london!

Urban_A - I'm a Momouth coffee regular but always looking out for new places. Will definately check out this flat white place.

Historist - love your shots - very nice. I think I've been to Scooterworks but not sure - will check it out when i'm there next.

As for my own tips...

Borough Market - a definate. Best on Fridays when all the stalls are out (Fri-Sun) but the crowds are less, otherwise if Sat/Sun make sure you're there early (before 11, ideally 9-10 to avoid the crowds). Grab a pork belly roast roll from ROAST, or the english class fish&chips from FISH! otherwise, a chorizo bab from Brindisa (opposite Momouth coffee) - look for the long queues.

2763980726_94e5d422fa.jpg

Upstreet Market & Bricklane - Now that Spitafileds has been gentrifield, I find it boring/sterile. Instead, wander further eastward to Upstreet Market & Bricklane (on a Sunday only) - for a more traditional feel. My fav market in central London. (The Old Truman Brewery, Brick Lane, Shoreditch, London E1 6QL)

Have a pizza @ at Story Deli.
2728738139_a5116603e2.jpg

Check out the student wares on Brick Lane
2728737987_d262cf3f00.jpg

2729119316_b79f002ef6.jpg

Camden Market (below) is another good option. Forget Nottinghill Market tho - too touristy.

2146811367_d6e38d6e3b.jpg

One thing people haven't mentioned so far - is the English HIGH TEA. My recomendation ($$$) is the Lainsborough Hotel (top food, more modern decor) or The Dorchester (more period/egyption decor - pix below).

2865665167_781b7e7391.jpg

Last edited:
For the "old" London vibe....here's some pix.

Near Liverpool St/Spitafields market - on the way to Upstreet/Bricklane
374940736_1fe2bd7a3b.jpg

Covent Garden
2671046788_e5cab20a1a.jpg

If you're up near Islington/Angel, go visit Ottolenghi for a brunch/lunch.
374931797_34c75a5a5e.jpg

Sorry to contradict you boy_la, but please, OP, PLEASE stay away from Camden Market. I went to school (in the 80s and early 90s) around the corner from the market and have seen them systematically destroy what was great about it. The area by the tube was always a tourist disaster, but the Stables up by Primrose Hill used to be a treasure-trove of retro furniture stalls and vintage clothing.

Not any more. They've wedged in characterless glass-and-metal sheds throughout, selling all the same crap you get in rubbish markets everywhere else. The only difference is that the people (neo-goth-punk emo urchins) actually think they're cool and different "because we're in Camden".

PLEASE don't waste your time (same goes for Portabello).

Personally, I think the only market really worth its salt nowadays is Borough... but that's just me...

Agree with you about Tea though - just for me it's got to be Claridges... http://www.claridges.co.uk/page.aspx?id=1792

Last edited:
Back