Firmware v3.0 for Leica SL now available...

Godfrey

somewhat colored
Local time
3:19 PM
And it's a big update:

New top features

Up to 35% faster writing DNG files to SD card
§ Optimization of the writing process allows to reduce the time needed for saving DNG files up to 35%. This allows to be quicker ready to continue shooting after a burst session.

Optimized Autofocus

§ MF-/AF-control optimized
§ Autofocus reaction time is shortened
§ Improved AF tracking of objects with SL lenses
§ Improved: zooming while recording video
§ Improved: AF field chances while recording video
§ Improved: AFc while recoding video
New firmware for lenses is included

§ Improved accuracy of the focus position
§ Improved AFc accuracy if an object moves towards the lens
§ New firmware for the VARIO-ELMARIT-SL 24-90 f/2.8-4 ASPH.
§ New firmware for the APO-VARIO-ELMARIT-SL 90-280 f/2.8-4
§ Bugfixes
Additional improvements

§ Store DNG and JPG on separated SD cards
§ Independent exposure control for video and photo mode
§ New vide frame rate 24fps for 4k resolution 3840x2160
§ White balance 'flash' improved for use with studio flash system's modelling light
§ Electronic shutter mode for shutter speeds from 1s - 1/16 000s for silent shutter release (ISO50)
§ Exposure preview in M-Mode improved for continuous preview
§ Improved usability in play mode when zooming to 1:1 (100%) , location gets stored to easy access
the same location
§ Improved flash behaviour for AutoISO setting
§ Improved behaviour of flash units in continuous burst shooting mode
New options for customization

§ Swap the dedicated exposure controls of the front and back dial
§ Current control setup of the front and back dial is shown on the top display
§ Renaming from T-Mode into S-Mode
§ New option for AF Tracking "RESET": Start position of the AF tracking is fixed on a specific
location which can be adjusted by the joystick.
§ Graphical User Interface of the multi selection and delete functions improved
§ AE-/AF-Lock Button can be assigned to magnification for a quick visual check of focus position
§ New option to show the focus distance in feet or meter
§ Automatic detection of Leica M and Leica R lenses can be turned off
§ Video resolution/framerate can be assigned to the personal favorite menu
§ User experience increased: the "OK" button on any keyboard input screens is touch sensitive
§ Audio in/out levels can be controlled directly by left/right joystick on the histogram screen
§ Several minor improvements made on graphical user interface
§ New default behaviour: the function "Access menu in EVF" is enabled by default. This function
enables the upper left button while looking through the electronic viewfinder. Either menu access
and quick access to custom functions is available now by default. For users experiencing
accidental presses of the upper left button by their nose - it is recommended to disable this
function in the "Customize Control" menu.

Bugfixes

§ Any shutter speed limitation for any manual focus lens is deactivated
§ Improved stability for tethered shooting with Leica Image Shuttle 3.6
§ If an USB connection is detected by the camera, the warning of a missing SD card is hidden. This
allows to use Leica Image Shuttle and Adobe® Lightroom® Plugin without an inserted SD card.
§ For Leica M and Leica R lenses the real-time display of the established aperture is hidden

Red Dot Forum videos about it: http://www.reddotforum.com/content/2017/05/leica-sl-firmware-3-0-released-major-updates/

Get it from Leica here:
http://de.leica-camera.com/Service-...subcategory=128336&type=108942&language=93871

enjoy,
G

Godfrey,

I downloaded V3.0.

This firmware really sped things up. My 50 Lux had deadly accurate AF, but was kinda was relaxed in speed. Now it is mucho hyper and just as deadly accurate.

I was testing under dim lighting and everything just seems more responsive. I feel like I have a new camera.

Anyways my 50 Lux is slow no more. My SL is a deadly rig now.

Happy-Happy. Brutal I say.

Cal

Glad you're liking it, Cal!

I thought they did a fine job of responding to most of the input from users from the various Leica forums. It's a good value-add for the SL system.

There's always more to go with cameras that have this much programmability in them. I'm glad they over-built the SL the way they did: It will last quite a while and handle a lot of updates like this one. It was designed for a longer production lifespan than the competition. I have no qualms about continuing to invest in this system, albeit that I've already pretty much got everything that I need. :)

G

Glad you're liking it, Cal!

I thought they did a fine job of responding to most of the input from users from the various Leica forums. It's a good value-add for the SL system.

There's always more to go with cameras that have this much programmability in them. I'm glad they over-built the SL the way they did: It will last quite a while and handle a lot of updates like this one. It was designed for a longer production lifespan than the competition. I have no qualms about continuing to invest in this system, albeit that I've already pretty much got everything that I need. :)

G

Godfrey,

Basically I think I have a new camera. I might even say I own a SL2.

My SL seems more like a military camera and I have to say I almost feel like a Navy SEAL because the AF with the 50 Lux seems optimized to the point that it is like a special forces weapon that is deadly accurate.

A while back when Leica lent me a 24-90 SL zoom I did all kinds of "Circus" shots fooling around, but was surprise and shocked by the in the lens image stabilization. I really wonder how Leica improved or optimized that further. Is it really possible?

So last night after downloading and installing the V.3.0 firmware I started doing dumb stuff like using single point focus in shadows under dim indoor conditions where basically there is no high contrast and only darkness that would challenge the AF system. Again I was surprised in the jump.

The AF with the 50 Lux was always accurate, but kinda relax as far as speed. The V.2.2 Firmware did not really improve things that I could notice, but V.3.0. I would say is deadly accurate. I would say my SL is kinda hyper, and seems more advanced.

The camera behaves differently in dim lighting, and because of this I would say it is drastic enough that it kinda feels like I have a new camera. When I focus in the shadows there is a initial flash of brightness on either the screen or VF'er that immediately is followed by the green focus lock indicator. I think Leica somehow boosts signals to speed up things.

The SL always had a fast processor, but now it is crazy hyper fast. Anyways to me a military vibe somehow now gets projected from this camera, and the added weight and size seems very appropiate. It just feels right. Focusing in shadows where there is no contrast or light is really impressive. It seems the SL has become the camera it was meant to be. The 50 Lux-SL basically has become reinvented and is really amazing.

Oh-boy. I don't think it gets better than this. I am deeply impressed. I am beyond pleased.

Please report on how V.3.0 has effected/advanced the 24-90 SL zoom.

Cal

Well, I can't do comparative studies but both the SL24-90 and SL90-280 have definitely perked up a bit in speed. I tried AFc and tracking too, and it seems much better. I'm not a big AF user, though, so my impressions are a bit suspect.

All in all, the SL's firmware feels like it's becoming very mature now and they can continue tuning it and adding subtle new features as time goes on.

I love this camera. :)

G

Godfrey,
Great information about the new firmware. I would like to ask, is there any information regarding compatibility of the new firmware with the Novaflex Canon lens adapter for the SL? Will the autofocus function be usable with the Canon-Leica SL adapter?
Thanks in advance.

Far as I'm aware, the Novoflex SL/EOS autofocus-capable adapter continues to work on the SL as with firmware 2.2, which is to say "well with some lenses, okay with some others, not very well with others".

During the beta testing program, I didn't see too many comments from those using the adapter saying that things were messed up, but there were one or two (as always). I don't own one or any Canon EOS lenses to test with so I can't do any spot checking myself.

G

Godfrey,
Great information about the new firmware. I would like to ask, is there any information regarding compatibility of the new firmware with the Novaflex Canon lens adapter for the SL? Will the autofocus function be usable with the Canon-Leica SL adapter?
Thanks in advance.

Godfrey,

I can report that my 50 Lux saw some heavy usage Saturday where I did an outdoor fashion shoot with a model that included thee "looks." I shot two looks that were covered by about 600 shots in Central Park's Conservatory Gardens; downloaded the files and topped up the battery; and took another 400 shots to cover the third look at the same location.

So this was very fast paced and intense shooting; and the new speed of the camera was certainly noticable. The 50 Lux-SL autofocus was also mucho speedy and as always deadly accurate. The new firmware (V3.0) seems to have brought out the full potential of the 50 Lux.

One point of criticism is that we had a black man approach us while we were shooting. I use manual spot metering and had meter off the model's caucasion face so the metering was off by about a stop. We were under a trellis of Wisteria in shade so this black man's face was all shadows when basically a did a burst of 5 head and shoulder shots.

When I downloaded and added a F-stop exposure to the files I saw that the SL with the new firmware nailed all these shots.

The reason I mention the above is that with my model in doing close focus shots I did experience some hunting and vagueness. The conditions were all the same except focusing in darkness I would deem deadly accurate, and focusing on lights at times could be a struggle.

I'm not complaining at all, but I want to state the good, the bad, and the ugly for full disclosure. The new firmware is no subtle jump in inprovement, and the write times do seem about a third faster. Know that in fashion shooting I at times do fill the buffer, but this did not happen on this Saturday.

BTW I am so glad I bought the SL to cover fashion photography. It makes shooting at a fast pace so easy. In my case I demand a fast and accurate AF, and speed is everything.

Cal

1000 exposures for three "looks"! Would that be typical for a fashion industry shoot?

P,

That is a good question. I would not know because I'm not really a fashion photographer. Somehow I became an "Incidental Fashion Photographer."

I know some fashion photographers, the real deal, and it is a brutal industry, and to compound that it is very hard and stressful work.

I have been on shoots as an assistant, and also as a model. The photographer has a crew and is responsible for paying them.

Hair, make-up, stylist, a styling assistant/dresser, photographer's assistant(s), videographer...

Then there is all this gear, lighting, and don't forget the clothes. One shoot could involve just one model but 7-8 looks; or it could be many models...

Understand that it is typical to get first "optioned" which is just booking a possible date, but almost always it only gets firmed up a day or two before, and a "call sheet" disclosing the locations, lists of things to bring, and you find out who will be on the crew.

My gal who is represented by "Elite Models London" only found out the day before a trip to London that also included a side trip to Lisbon, and another return to London in her itinerary. Pretty much she had to wait until the last moment to pack. She did get a two day heads up that it would include a black tie event that required formal wear she did not own, and also a cocktail dress, so imagine trying to buy a gown in one day and not really having time to get it fitted.

So on my friend Mike's shoot with two models as he is shooting all these things are happening that are overwelming because of chaos and everthing is last minute. Mike is taking shots with a tethered Canon DSLR, people are monitoring how the clothes drape (you are really photographing the model, but the clothes are even more important), the hair, the light... and Mike's assistant is monitoring the tethered MacBook Pro. I'm pretty sure shots are getting deleted and a basic "rough cut" is performed by the trusted assistant. (BTW I was kinda the second assistant just stepping up to fill in wherever). When we review the shots it totally becomes obvious by the concentration of keepers that very serious deletion takes shape by the main photographer's assistant.

The crew reviews the results, and then there is a change in clothes, and again hair, make-up, styling... In real life the models are surrounded by the crew, and the crew is almost in the shot. It is not staged like on TV at all. Anyways all of the crew are creative people, problem solvers, and there is an amazing amount of collaboration. There is this great amount of focus and energy, and it is very hard not to get swept-up into all of it. It is so unreal, yet intense and concentrated when the shooting is happening.

The other side is the boredom and waiting that is part of the job. Kinda resembles combat duty: intense stress followed by boredom.

Anyways this life is both exciting and stressful. I can't stand how last minute everything is. It is really over the top and way crazy.

Sorry for the crazy rant. LOL.

Cal

Far as I'm aware, the Novoflex SL/EOS autofocus-capable adapter continues to work on the SL as with firmware 2.2, which is to say "well with some lenses, okay with some others, not very well with others".

During the beta testing program, I didn't see too many comments from those using the adapter saying that things were messed up, but there were one or two (as always). I don't own one or any Canon EOS lenses to test with so I can't do any spot checking myself.

G

Thanks, Godfrey!

Back