Film for Travel

Ponsoldt

Established
Local time
6:31 PM
I am traveling out of the country and am thinking about taking my mp as opposed to a digital. I would appreciate any comments or suggestions concerning recent experiences with film and the airport/travel.

I took some Elite Chrome 200 through security last fall when I went to New mexico. No problems. I'd avoid anything faster than 400 though, although I think the TSA claims 800 speed will be fine.

Take both

Take both

That's what I'm doing now, whether in, or out of country. I am paid to do digital, but now, with a resumed passion for film, I can afford to take both, and if anything from the film shots peek my clients interest, I can charge extra for that, also.

If you are just doing it for yourself, I would still take both. You never know when you may get "THAT" shot. Just trim down your gear till you get that comfortable carry kit.

they will hand check your film if you ask for it, just have it in a zip lock bag and hand it to the person at the security check and ask for hand check

that said, my choices would be ilford xp2, fuji velvia 100f

I have traveled all over the world with various 400 speed films and had them scanned multiple times with no problems. Just never, ever put it in your checked baggage. And, for what it's worth I've heard from a NYC lab tech that specializes in b&w hand-processing and works for many int'l photogaphers that the carry-on x-ray machines in FRANCE are notorious for ruining film. But I have not experinced this - never had any film ruined by carry-on x-rays

I pack my film in ziploc bags. At the security checkpoint, I'd hand them over for manual inspection. In Japan, there's a sign that indicates that films at iso 400 and below are quite safe to pass through their X-rays for hand-carried luggage.

Perhaps you could try sending your film via Fedex to your hotel ahead of time? That way, you wouldn't have to worry about carrying unexposed film. ;)

If I were to travel anywhere tomorrow, I'd be packing Plus-X & Reala. In Ziplocks for hand inspection. If I need faster I'll buy & develope locally.

William

Avotius said:
they will hand check your film if you ask for it, just have it in a zip lock bag and hand it to the person at the security check and ask for hand check

that said, my choices would be ilford xp2, fuji velvia 100f

With the way the Scanners are programed, you will find a GREAT variance between airports as far as actualy screening happens. I have recently returned from Vegas, and before then Jamaica. I was stopped at Vegas, but not when leaving Jamaica. I was "black lensed" in Vegas. Nothing in Jamaica.

Seattle will hand screen, Atlanta won"t. Go figure.

Definitely do the zip-lock bag thing (film cassettes only, of course, out of their plastic cans!). Last time (over a year ago) I had to fly out of LaGuardia, they had a machine just for film inspection, which I thought was fascinating; the TSA guy operating the machine was quite helpful as well. Just arrive ahead of time and be well-prepared, and things should work out okay.

(Addendum: one trick is to tuck in a roll or two of ISO 1600/3200 film; in this instance, even the more reluctant inspectors (most of them, anyway) will go along with a hand-inspection request.)

- Barrett

Question for the more experianced memebers - what about 120? Should you take it out of the foil or is it ok to leave it in it?

William

wlewisiii said:
Question for the more experianced memebers - what about 120? Should you take it out of the foil or is it ok to leave it in it?

William

I'm not the more experienced member, but I have done some serious travelling with the 120.

I left it in the foil, in boxes, and stuffed into a lead bag without any trouble. I'd suggest leaving them packaged, since they are going to see it either way, and if they want to bother you, they will.

and just to be gloomy, I have NEVER met a security person at an airport, tran station, museum, etc., who was willing to hand check my film. Maybe my eyes give me away as an anarchist.

I second the previous vote of support for Ilford XP2. Never let me down.

I get it processed locally -- develop only, maybe scanned, and an A4 size index print made -- and bring, or ship, the negs home.

AusDLK said:
I second the previous vote of support for Ilford XP2. Never let me down.

I get it processed locally -- develop only, maybe scanned, and an A4 size index print made -- and bring, or ship, the negs home.

XP2 is a good idea if you want only B&W images. That makes it harder for some clumsy lab to blow your pics (since C41 processing is more controlled from what I hear).

But, if you are going to shoot C41, you might as well shoot color and convert to B&W when you want to lose the colors. No reason not to. Not that I can think of, at least. Especially if you are scanning your work yourself.

>you might as well shoot color and convert to B&W

sf --

I hear you but I previsualize in b&w and don't want to be tempted otherwise. This would be a distraction for me since I have very little interest in color images. Seeing something in color anywhere in the post-processing process would not be good.

BTW -- I've read that you're a big-time RF645 guy. I just joined this small (elite?) club last week and would like to keep up with what you are doing with this camera and sponge some know-how off along the way.

AusDLK said:
>you might as well shoot color and convert to B&W

BTW -- I've read that you're a big-time RF645 guy. I just joined this small (elite?) club last week and would like to keep up with what you are doing with this camera and sponge some know-how off along the way.

ask away. I love to talk about it.

I agree with shooting in colour if you plan to scan in your negs for digital post processing.

As for film speeds, I usually only bring 400 or below. I brought a couple rolls of 3200 and the security guy just ignored my "Can you handcheck it? I have 3200 speed film." and just ran it straight through the scanner - I even handed it to him too!

Good thing this was BEFORE the trip started and not after. I didn't even bother w the film afterwards.

Ponsoldt said:
I am traveling out of the country and am thinking about taking my mp as opposed to a digital. I would appreciate any comments or suggestions concerning recent experiences with film and the airport/travel.

I found that France was the most pleasant. London was horrid. USA is horrid. I am glad I didn't even try to bring film in and out of Turkey or Greece (they took me into a small room and made me strip because they found a hand sanitizer in my pocket and I couldn't effectively explain what it was for).

Bring a lead bag. Sometimes they pull it out and scan the film anyway. Sometimes they don't even notice it (or don't care). But it gives you a chance to act nonchalant about the film. I wouldn't bother carrying it in a plastic bag. I did this at LAX and was forced to open 39 rolls of film, wrapper and all, anyway. I use the lead bag in Europe, and they often never even asked me about the dense blob in my bag. I had Delta 3200 in there and it wasn't fazed too much after MANY scans around europe.

maitrestanley said:
I agree with shooting in colour if you plan to scan in your negs for digital post processing.

I brought a couple rolls of 3200 and the security guy just ignored my "Can you handcheck it? I have 3200 speed film." and just ran it straight through the scanner - I even handed it to him too!

they are jerks.

Ponsoldt said:

Agree with all that's been said - you'll be fine with 400ISO or lower, don't expect a hand inspection of film - many places simply refuse and stuff it thru the scanner (I gave up asking a long time ago)...use a lead bag as suggested - many places won't be interested when your bag is scanned - unless you have something else interesting in there.

Australia is by far the worst place I've been for security checks - point blank ridiculous and obnoxious. Kenya and parts of India often scan your carry on multiple times (3 in Kenya) before you board. (Nairobi can be over zealous in general - my girlfriend was told to open her two tiny contact lens sachets for inspection - disposable lenses, so they had to be binned immediately.) Most of the US I've found more than polite, parts of Africa are a lottery because of calibration of machines - try the lead bag there.

Europe is usually fine - unless there's a major football tournament on...just kidding :) well mostly...

Well, up until not too far ago, in my SLR days, I used to stock up on Sensia 100 as my main travel film - excellent universal slide emulsion (rumors that this is "consumered" Astia) - found it is good as all-around slide film, be it architecture, nature, general views or people. So it took a major workload on trips abroad when I anticipated lots of all-around shooting in daylight.
Now however, I'd be hard pressed to make my choice for all-around film bearing RF as my main tool (putting my 4x5 LF aside) - I'd like to stay with slide for general travel photography, but would also like to keep ready with ASA 400 B&W C41 and a limited amount of high-speed B&W for low-light situations.
The best solution IMHO would be two bodies - one with slide, the second with ASA 100 color slide (say, Sensia 100 for color all-around scenic during daylight), the second loaded with some ASA 400 B&W C41 - mainly for street situations and reasonably lit in-doors. Then, approaching evening (or if a long-term not very well lit in-doors experience) - a B&W ASA 1600 gets loaded.

With single RF body - it's getting tough. Perhaps both scenic and street get on ASA 100 slide (Sensia 100) at daylight, or if there is less then bright daylight conditions (cloudy) - Sensia 100 pushes very well to 200 and even to 320 (tried that myself few years back). For street B&W will have to rely on post-processing after scanning. The fast B&W (1600) gets loaded for particular reasons only.

So right now I would do as follows:
1. A bunch of Sensia 100 or 200 as main media (with the option to be pushed by 1-2 stops).
2. A moderate amount of ASA 1600 B&W (perferably C41 if such exist at such speeds).

All that however if not B&W is considered as solely the case. If only B&W is desirable - ASA 400 B&W C41 makes it up for me long way (and the easiest solution).

Alex

Back