Film, Film, and more Film. (Travel Light Part II)

No, Yes, Yes and nothing

No, Yes, Yes and nothing

sirius said:
Do you have to shoot the whole roll at one speed or can you change the ISO? Isn't it a 400 speed film? You can shoot it at 200?

One more question, what would a discriminating person have against what XP2 does?

Thanks very much for your response.

Me? Discriminating? Maybe. Sometimes. I do tend to be my own worst critic. I like XP2 Super a lot. So far, at speeds from 200 to 400, mostly at 400.

If you beleive the Ilford instructions, XP2 Super may be safely rated at any speed between 50 and 800. I have a roll of film shot at exactly that range of speeds ready to go to the lab now. Results soon. YMMV.

Last edited:
XP2 Super also can be used when you don't know how to meter correctly or have no meter and you are wildy guessing the appropriate exposure. I once tried changing the ASA from 100-1000 on one roll of the old XP, and all frames came out. The details and contrast levels differed a lot though.

I have never traveled without color film before, and maybe a March trip to Europe is perfect for B&W film since usually the weather in Germany is not great in March.

Raid

Agreed

Agreed

raid said:
...I have never traveled without color film before, and maybe a March trip to Europe is perfect for B&W film since usually the weather in Germany is not great in March.

Raid

If Germany in March is anything like Belgium in March, you are correct. However, sometimes color film in murky, foggy, misty conditions can be very interesting. Try it sometime.

I bulk buy and stick with ISO 100 Fuji Reala for the bulk of my work. It's a great semi-professional film.

But a local store has Poloroid branded 35mm 36exp film for well under what I pay for Reala and I'm tempted.

Raid: If your trip is to Europe and your like cheap deals look out for a Chinese shop, they sell anything and everything, are open all day everyday, and may have cheap film and batteries like my local Chinese shops have.

Wayne,
B&W film is relatively new to me. I am used to color slide film for most of my adult life.

Raid

Jon: Will do! Thanks for the tip. By the way, in my six-week trip to Japan, I almost exclusively used Fujicolor 100. No Xray damages such film easily, and the sharpness and colors are great.

Raid

Wow, with Ilford XP2 you can change the ISO multiple times while the film is in the camera!! That's amazing! So in other words, you can't have an exposure that would not turn out???

I quite like XP2 as a C-41 colour processing bl & wh film because the blacks always are black. With the Kodak C-41 b&w film I would get a lot of colour casts if my exposure were little off.

Sorry if I'm hijacking your thread. Have a great trip!

Last edited:
Raid: Your wife and kid will like Chinese shops also (if they have them in Germany), the clothes and shoes are unbelievably cheap.

I got reading glasses for about €2 and a camera bag for €5.

Wide latitude

Wide latitude

sirius said:
Wow, with Ilford XP2 you can change the ISO multiple times while the film is in the camera!! That's amazing! So in other words, you can't have an exposure that would not turn out???

I quite like XP2 as a C-41 colour processing bl & wh film because the blacks always are black. With the Kodak C-41 b&w film I would get a lot of colour casts if my exposure were little off.

Sorry if I'm hijacking your thread. Have a great trip!

Or, think of it this way:

Overexposure up to +3 stops.

Underexposure down to -1 stop.

Yes, I like it because it looks more like B&W film than BW400CN. However, BW400CN isn't shabby at all.

raid said:
Barret: No questions left here. I am benefiting from very useful tips in this forum. I will take the XP2 with me, with the hope that Xray will not damage it in Europe.

Raid
Hot tip: buy a few rolls of something like Delta 3200 or the like, and mix them in with the other rolls, preferably in a zip-lock bag, sans their plastic containers, and ask for hand-inspection on account of having extremely sensitive film in the mix. I've done this on the last handful of domestic flights and have had no problems. International travel might likely be another story, but if you can keep the number of "mandatory" X-rays to a minimum, it will have been worth the effort.

- Barrett

You _will_ notice differences between the exposures, when the film is rated from, say, 100-1000 on the same roll. Shadows will come and go, noise will come and go, etc. It's forgiving, but it's still film.

Some people won't accept the results when it's underexposed out at 800+. Some will. If you got it in the camera, and you've rated it at 200 so far and now you need 800, then doing that with XP2 is better than not getting the shot at all...

allan

raid said:
Taking any film faster than ISO400 on a plane is just asking for trouble.

Realy? I've traveled with Fujipress 800 and Delta3200 and never had a problem, even X-Ray at checkin.

venchka said:
Me? Discriminating? Maybe. Sometimes. I do tend to be my own worst critic. I like XP2 Super a lot. So far, at speeds from 200 to 400, mostly at 400.

If you beleive the Ilford instructions, XP2 Super may be safely rated at any speed between 50 and 800. I have a roll of film shot at exactly that range of speeds ready to go to the lab now. Results soon. YMMV.

If you want something very different, expose XP2 at EI80 and have it processed as E6!

Great results, realy!

Socke said:
Realy? I've traveled with Fujipress 800 and Delta3200 and never had a problem, even X-Ray at checkin.

Socke: It depends on how often the film gets X-rayed in a trip. Reports are always conflicting from travelers.

Raid

Actually, film gets exposed to more radiation that would increase base fog while you are _in_ the air than during the check-in scan.

food for thought.

allan

Allan,

There isn't much that I could do. If my trip were longer, I would buy film in Germany.

Raid

I know you'll be rushed, but you might be on the lookout for short dated or expired European film for a good price. Bring it home!

Back