F0.95. A Tale of Two Fifties.

Sonnar Brian

Product of the Fifties
Staff member
Local time
9:28 PM
I took my Daughter to the Skating Rink today, decided it's a good place to bring some Fast lenses. And the two fast lenses that have been waiting for comparison are the Canon 50mm F0.95 for the Canon 7 and the TTArtisans 50mm F0.95 for M-Mount. I have adapters to use both on my Nikon Z5. The latter- I've used mostly on my M Monochrom. I use a color contrast filter, usually a 1-stop Yellow Y48. Used with a Rangefinder camera: I can get it well calibrated for "about" 1meter to infinity. Anything closer will produce back-focus, which needs to be compensated. With the RF- means shifting the focus closer. With Mirrorless: No Problem. If you get this lens- be aware. The Canon 50/0.95- mine is perfect on the Canon 7, close-up to infinity. I am not going to convert it to M-Mount. But- for $40 or so, bought a Canon 7 breech mount to Nikon Z. It's great.

With the Canon 50/0.95, all shots wide-open. It was Dark. I can focus the M9 in these conditions, but the Z5 produces a higher keeper rate. My daughter is skating past me. Just Move the focus ring and keep the Red Highlights on, take picture. Easy. ISO 6400.
DSC_2353.jpg

I will never complain about the colors on the TTArtisans 50/0.95 again. TTArt 50/0.95, wide-open.

DSC_2315.jpg

She moved. I picked these out as they are relatively close in composure.
SO-

Last edited:
Now some from the TTArtisans. All wide-open. This lens was $550 from Popflash. Close-Focus is to 0.7m, but get really good at mental corrections with an RF, or use it on a Mirrorless camera. Mine is the "Titanium" Finish and uses 62mm filters. The standars version uses 67mm filters. The nose of mine is Tapered, and imposes less on the RF window. If you use a hood- make sure it is vented- or else the hood will obstruct the RF window.
DSC_2312.jpgDSC_2276.jpgDSC_2315.jpgDSC_2426.jpgDSC_2279.jpg

Back