Contax IIa/IIIa CLA recommendations

Well, I'm the Vic Stewart that Henry Shearer seems to be featuring on his site. I had the very best experience with Henry, and got my camera back in a WEEK! (plus a couple days for shipping. He worked absolute MIRACLES on my camera, and later on some lenses I sent him. The camera is absolutely glassy smooth! I'd get on the waiting list. I'm sorry to hear it's taking so long now. I guess I was one of the first. Still use the IIIa all the time. The Sonnor is my best lens!
VS

With one of my Contax IIIa cameras being at 16th of Mr.Scherer’s waiting list after more than a year , I sent out two other IIIa bodies to Steve S. (http://camera-care.com/). In fact, I didn’t expect much, considering some negative experiences posted in this thread. But, What I received each time is a meticulously CLAed camera in less than a week. Astonishing workmanship, indeed. It might be just my luck, but want to add one more positive feedback for him.

Brightfinder glad you got your camera fixed there, My camera and money were stolen by the same guy, caveat emptor.

Recently I had my Sonnar lens CLAed by DAG Camera but the experience was really bad. I had waited about one month for him to CLA my lens. After he received my lens he did not reply my email anymore even he had replied very quickly before I sent the lens. The Result was entirely unacceptable: problems are still there and he even dented some aperture blades and damaged the press rings and its threads. I have never had my lens cleaned before, but I don't think a professional repair man will scratch the press rings when he open the lens. I really regret having his service, because I cannot see any improvement on my lens after the CLA but damages.

John at Focal Point did a CLA (complete) on my Contax IIA 18 months ago.

Two weeks after I got it back from another "technician", using the self timer caused the whole camera to "lock up", this was after a supposed "CLA".

Rather than send the camera back to the original repair party I decided to send it to John as he had overhauled a few Nikon rangefinder lenses for me and I remembered that he did CLAs on screw-mount Leicas and Contax. So I sent it to John. He reported that the camera had locked up because it was very dirty inside and that to overcome this the shutter was adjusted tight..so tight that it caused the self timer to lock the camera.

After a thorough cleaning, the camera is silky smooth with that familiar very gentle Contax shutter release and accompaning sound. After a year and a half it continues to work well.

I would have to recommend John, google him and ask if he is still doing the camera CLAs.

The following might be of interest to any llA/lllA owners in the UK who need repair work performed on their camera(s). I have just had my llA repaired by Ed Troszka, Euro Photo Services, 150 Harrowgate Drive, Birstall, Leics. LE4 3GP, tel. 01162674247.

The camera had been plagued by a rangefinder which was vertically misaligned and shutter speeds that were way off. All problems have been resolved most satisfactorily and the camera is in excelllent working condition. Ed did a fine job and his price was very reasonable. I will certainly use him again whenever the need arises.

Needless to say, I have no association with Ed other than that of a very satisfied customer.

Ted.

JohnM said:
I have purchased a Contax IIIa which while it is in usable condition, could really use a CLA.

Now, I understand that Harry Sherer is considered the cream of the crop in terms of Contax technicians, but his waiting list is measured in years and that's a little longer than I would like to wait. (I may put this camera on the waiting list and have it CLA'd elsewhere in the interim - who knows.)

Does anyone have any experience having older Contax repaired/serviced in the US? Someone mentioned to me that CameraQuest or Essex may do it - other recommendations?

Do you need a 85mm f2 Sonnar? or maybe a 21-135 optical finder?

I used Steve S. for my service need despite the comments here because I could not wait for Mr. Scherer to get to my camera. While my service might not be up to Henry's standards, it certainly is up to mine. I paid my deposit with Henry and still have my place in line, so when he calls me in 11 months, I'll send it to him. In the meantime, I have a fully functioning IIIa that is as quiet and smooth as ever.

I also got this camera back in less than 10 days.

Happy New Year to all. I just received my Contax lla which I had sent to a Mr. Edward Smolov in Brooklyn ,NY on recommendation of a fellow RFF member. A friend had given me the camera a month or so ago.. all shutter speeds were the same and it was kinda dirty from sitting in his garage for who knows how long.There was also a dime size dent in the top cover.Well the camera is back,operating and looking like a jewel.And yes the dent is gone. Mr. Smolov went above and beyond anything I had expected.Regards,Bill

ALPSSNOW said:
Recently I had my Sonnar lens CLAed by DAG Camera but the experience was really bad. I had waited about one month for him to CLA my lens. After he received my lens he did not reply my email anymore even he had replied very quickly before I sent the lens. The Result was entirely unacceptable: problems are still there and he even dented some aperture blades and damaged the press rings and its threads. I have never had my lens cleaned before, but I don't think a professional repair man will scratch the press rings when he open the lens. I really regret having his service, because I cannot see any improvement on my lens after the CLA but damages.[/quote

Just thought I had better mention I had a recent good experiance with DAG that was much diferent as what was reported above. As I had had good experiance with a few Leica lenses af ew years ago I sent two Sonnars to him for repair, a 85mm that the lubrication had seized up in from 30 years of not being used, and a 50mm that had kissed the sidewalk and the aperture could not be moved. I was in no hurry to get them back as I assumed he would have too much going on around Christmas time and when I had not recieved a email back from him I just called him up. after talking to him he emailed me the cost of repair within the hour and I sent him payment the next day Jan 18 and the package was returned to my house last fri Feb 1st, 13 days after sending payment (much faster than I was expecting)
Now the exciting part...... he did a great job. Both lenses focus and change aperture with a silky smoothness that I would find it hard to belive was any better when they were new. ME VERY HAPPY!!!!!!!

Tedley said:
The following might be of interest to any llA/lllA owners in the UK who need repair work performed on their camera(s). I have just had my llA repaired by Ed Troszka, Euro Photo Services, 150 Harrowgate Drive, Birstall, Leics. LE4 3GP, tel. 01162674247.

The camera had been plagued by a rangefinder which was vertically misaligned and shutter speeds that were way off. All problems have been resolved most satisfactorily and the camera is in excelllent working condition. Ed did a fine job and his price was very reasonable. I will certainly use him again whenever the need arises.

Needless to say, I have no association with Ed other than that of a very satisfied customer.

Ted.

Ed is very good. I have bought a Contax IIIA/ 50mm f1.f sonnar and a Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 533/16 from him. Both cameras were serviced by Ed prior to purchase; both are excellent. If you are in UK, I'd strongly recommend Ed.

--
Monz

Steve still offers CLA for $115 for the Contax. The link offered in this thread stillworks.

For $125 or less, Master repairman Eddy Smolov will repair your Contax. I don't see the point in paying more than 3 times as much.

As noted in the above post, I think the reason to pay two or three times as much is to get that service that does not take short cuts on your camera.

It just depends if you want to get it working or if you want a camera that works better than new.

Last edited:
As noted in the above post, I think the reason to pay two or three times as much is to get that service that does not take short cuts on your camera.

It just depends if you want to get it working or if you want a camera that works better than new.

I would assume that Raid is recommending a service that does not take shortcuts, but is far less expensive. No matter what, some people will always believe that the most expensive must be the best, but they often end up paying for hype.

We shoot contax cameras with Zeiss lenses because we want the best glass available. If we didnt want the best possible lenses with cameras to use them, we should shoot Canon FD (or something) SLRs because they work well and have more than decent glass, and are cheap.

If we wanted the best service we would go with zeisscamera.com, if we wanted less than the best we would go with anyone else. But why shoot an expensive camera with exotic glass if you are going to go the economy route on trying to get the camera to work well =/

To each his own.

Last edited:
Back