Compatibility of Nikon S / Contax RF lenses on Leica M with Amedeo Adapter

Hello Everybody,
I just pick an Helios-103 53/1.8 and I'm trying to mount it on my Contax/LeicaM Amedeo adapter. It just stop mounting at half run, does anyone had this same issue?

You must have the lens first set to infinity, then lock it to the adapter !

KEVIN-XU 愛 forever;2851526 said:
It has the focus shift problem at all range. Is it possible to adjust the adapter to get the accurate focus?

Hi Kevin, focus shift is when the focus position of the rangefinder matches the actual point of focus of the lens at f1.5 (for example) but the actual point of focus of the lens shifts backward away from the camera as you stop the lens aperture down to f8 (for example) without changing the focus position of the rangefinder.

I'm guessing you're experiencing front or back focus rather than focus shift. If you are experiencing front focus, you need to grind the cam of the adapter a little to the correct focus position. If you're experiencing back focus, you need to make the cam on the adapter thicker somehow.

The Helios 103 is an internal mount lens, so no focus ring and no infinity to set

Is the lock tab on the lens getting stuck on the adapter before locking into position?

I'm trying to find a way to use my small collection of Nikon rangefinder lenses on a Nikon Z6 or Z7. When I look at the table at the beginning of this thread, two of my lenses are listed as not working with the Amedeo adapter for this reason:
(NO - rear element too large, interferes with rangefinder mechanism)

But since the Nikon Z series of cameras does not use a rangefinder mechanism like an M body does, can one safely assume that even a lens that is listed as not working in the above mentioned table, when placed in an Amedeo adapter, linked to a Leica M-Nikon Z adapter, would function properly on the Nikon Z body?

Or does anyone know of an available adapter (seen many talked about online, but none available for purchase) that would allow me to mount my Nikon S mount rangefinder lenses directly to a Nikon Z body?

Thanks.

Best,
-Tim

I'm trying to find a way to use my small collection of Nikon rangefinder lenses on a Nikon Z6 or Z7. When I look at the table at the beginning of this thread, two of my lenses are listed as not working with the Amedeo adapter for this reason:
(NO - rear element too large, interferes with rangefinder mechanism)

But since the Nikon Z series of cameras does not use a rangefinder mechanism like an M body does, can one safely assume that even a lens that is listed as not working in the above mentioned table, when placed in an Amedeo adapter, linked to a Leica M-Nikon Z adapter, would function properly on the Nikon Z body?

Or does anyone know of an available adapter (seen many talked about online, but none available for purchase) that would allow me to mount my Nikon S mount rangefinder lenses directly to a Nikon Z body?

Thanks.

Best,
-Tim

You can try using a Nikon Z to Leica M adapter combined with Amadeo's various Nikon/Contax external/internal bayonet mounts to Leica M adapter to suit your various Nikon S lens mounts.

https://www.kentfaith.com/KF06.388_...KhOb2lAHLLzqv0PJllq3IvBnHpcAtW-caAmiOEALw_wcB

I have a problem with a Nikon PC 85mm lens. When I attach it to the Nikon S-M adapter then it sort of sticks and the whole turns very stiff. The adapter on itself is buttery smooth of course; also the lens turns rather easily. The combo fails.
The bayonet engages correctly. [So it is not like the video a few posts back]. It can be put on and off with relative ease. There is no play.

Having looked at it, it looks as if the lens lips or flanges that stick out in the back touch the inside of the adapter, and this way forces the two sides of the helix out of each other.
I tried it on a C-M adapter and there this sticking is was there too, albeit heavier, because I could feel the spring in the lens starting its action and it was hard to reach both sides of the distance scale.​

Is this known? How to remedy?

You can try using a Nikon Z to Leica M adapter combined with Amadeo's various Nikon/Contax external/internal bayonet mounts to Leica M adapter to suit your various Nikon S lens mounts.

https://www.kentfaith.com/KF06.388_...KhOb2lAHLLzqv0PJllq3IvBnHpcAtW-caAmiOEALw_wcB

Thanks. I was able to obtain an Amedeo adapter and tried it with my Leica M to Nikon 1 adapter on a Nikon 1 V2, and it worked spectacularly with all my lenses, including the 3.5cm f1.8 and 2.1cm f4. So once I've saved up for a Z6, I'll get one of the adapters you mentioned so I can use my Nikon S mount lenses with a digital sensor.

Best,
-Tim

I've read through the thread but don't see any reference beyond compatibility. Is anyone else using the millenium Nikkor 50mm on Leica digital?
How is your RF focus accuracy?

Hey -- just to follow up on someone's question above. Has anyone definitively confirmed whether or not the 1950s 21mm 4.5 Biogon will rangefinder couple and meter on a Leica M? I saw above that some said that it would not couple on a CLE -- just wondering if the same is true with the Ms. Does the rear lens element protector need to be removed for it to work on Ms as well?

Hey -- just to follow up on someone's question above. Has anyone definitively confirmed whether or not the 1950s 21mm 4.5 Biogon will rangefinder couple and meter on a Leica M? I saw above that some said that it would not couple on a CLE -- just wondering if the same is true with the Ms. Does the rear lens element protector need to be removed for it to work on Ms as well?

While I don't have experience with the original Biogon, the J-12 will meter on M9 (if you fit it very gently) but I had to dial in the max amount of exposure compensation because the meter cell is blocked by the deep rear element, so it can't directly meter of the front curtain. Capturing in raw is the only way to effectively get an image then working with it in post. When shooting with my M9, I always preferred to use a handheld meter with the J-12 as well as Super Angulon 21mm f/3.4. Same holds for the 2.1cm f/4 Nikkor. In a nutshell, it will give a meter reading, but it won't be correct.

Phil Forrest

Thanks Phil. That helps. I have a Biogon on the way and will see if it has the same issues you have observed with the Jupiter 12. Seems like it would. I thought I saw someone on here somewhere say that he or she used the Biogon with no issues. I guess we'll see! :)

Well, I can confirm that the Contax RF 21mm 4.5 Biogon does not seem to mount on a Leica M with the Amedeo adapter. At least not with Nikon S to Leica M adapter. Like the Nikkor 35mm 1.8, something is hitting something. Removing the rear flare shield made no difference. Anyone have any suggestions?

Back