UK Region Chemicals in Berkshire

kully

Happy Snapper
Local time
4:48 PM
It's getting harder and harder to buy chemicals in Reading, Jessops have a very small selection (I had to go to Windsor to buy the last bottle of DDX within reasonable driving distance) and the only other shop that sells chemicals (Station Cameras) has some very grumpy staff who I won't be giving any money to (and their selection is tiny too).

So, is there anywhere else in Berkshire where I can buy chemicals? As a last resort I may end up driving into London one day and stocking up at Silverprint...

Or is there another company that stocks stuff like fixer in medium sized containers and mails them?

When i'm back in the UK, i'm based in Yorkshire, so everything has to be ordered online -
I use the same online resources as the ones Jin has listed above as well as Silverprint, Process Supplies and Speedgraphic. Gone are the days of stocking up at Silverprint and loading it in the boot of my car.

Cheers Jin, Simon,

Those links were exactly what I was looking for.

I wish I hadn't seen that Jobo lift though...

You could try http://www.fotospeed.com/. They are local to me where I've found them very helpful. I've not used the film dev yet but the paper dev/stop/fix is fine. There own paper is pretty good too although I found it can be lower contrast than Ilford in the same developer mix. This can be very useful though.

Hi Kully. I Have the same problem, I live in Hertfordshire and I’m surrounded by Jessops stores yet all have seen fit to reduce there chemical (and film) stock. Bought the last 2 packets of ID11 from there Harlow store a few weeks ago. Anyway: www.thedarkroom.co.uk (AKA) R K Photographic. Nice people and another string to your bow in these times of dwindling supplies :(

All the best.
B.

The supplies are not dwindling. They are there for anyone to buy, you just won't be seeing much on the High St anymore. If you want to let Jessops know what you think see this thread over on APUG.

QUOTE.
' Incarnation as Curries Mk2.' Nice one :D

Hi Andy: At least you got an email from Jessops :eek: I sent their head office one ages ago asking if they had any (were continuing/discontinuing) their bulk 400SX; nothing, not a sausage! I used email because, when I phone the stores I seem to be asking questions that the staff know nothing about :confused: 'Hi, do you have in stock a bulk, as in thirty-meter roll of 400sx ?'
'Yes sir, plenty!' 'Thanks, I'll pop in.' Twenty minutes later I'm handed a box containing one roll of 400sx 36 exsposure! 'Oh, sorry, thought you meant this?' 'No. thirty meter roll, like the Ilford you have on the shelf.' Oh: no, that's all we have at the moment, can order it for you---------------

Customer relations at its best ;) Still; their loss and another retailer’s gain IMHO.

Take care.
B.

Lucky I live in Windsor and use DDX, I knew it was pretty amazing to find it at my local Jessops, but I hadn't realized it was THAT amazing!
Oh and it's cheaper than Silverprint, too (!) (not even mentioning silverprint "amazing" delivery prices)

Well, that Windsor Watering Hole is gone. Went there today and they have redone the shop, no more chemicals, scanners etc. A small shelf somewhere for film.
I asked if they still had a fridge and yes they had, but... it was.... warm inside when they opened it after I asked what they had in it... doh.

Guys

Lorrells in Oakley Road @ Luton, had paper, fixer, tanks and some other things, (e.g. a cheap box with real finds, like a Patterson reel, for 50p) as of a few weeks ago.

There ad says parking is easy, well if you like yellow lines maybe, but not impossible.

I'd give them a ring before I set off.

Both Jessops in Worcester (only 200 m apart) had chemicals & film 9/05, but all gone now.

Noel

Kully, being in Reading too I have the same problem - so I also buy from the usual suspects already mentioned below. However for when you like the idea of actually walking into a proper shop and coming out with a full bag, next time you happen to be in Bath you may try Avon Film Productions (Bath) Ltd. They have a relatively decent stock of chemicals and papers (it is not Silverprint though....)

Buze said:
Well, that Windsor Watering Hole is gone. Went there today and they have redone the shop, no more chemicals, scanners etc. A small shelf somewhere for film.
I asked if they still had a fridge and yes they had, but... it was.... warm inside when they opened it after I asked what they had in it... doh.

Jessops in Swansea is now the same,it has been remodelled,and feels like a computer store,rather than a photographic retailer.I doubt if the had more than 75 rolls of film on a small shelf in the corner behind the counter,I wasn't looking for chemicals,but as the told me that their own brand B/W 120 is discontinued,presumably that may will apply to their chemicals as well!

Brian.

Back