Can you help out a newbie: Travel Camera

Dave, be careful since you said you're "about to go" on a trip. Apologies if I'm stating the obvious to you..... Any new camera (new to 'you' even if its a used one) should be learned first, AND whether its new or used you'll have to be absolutely certain that it's 100% working and reliable. After all, what do you do if it breaks in the middle of your trip, or you discover a flaw? Or worse yet, you find out you took a shot or two of that flying saucer with the lens cap on. Other than that, you've received good suggestions for what camera to take. I agree that the XA is "good enough" for your trip. I'm still mourning the theft of mine from my truck (with A-16 flash attached) last September...

Very good point, George -- reliability takes on more importance far away from home.

I've done some nighttime shots with the XA, shouldn't be any more difficult to do than select the aperture, set the focus, set the self-timer, and then press the shutter. I would not try it without a tripod or a support of some sort though.

Good point George... whatever camera you choose, make sure you'll have time to run a test roll through it before you go.

Thanks so much to everyone for the great advice - still can't believe how helpful folk are on here!
So I should let you know what I've plumped for... since a few of you made the very good point that my XA fits the critera I set out in the OP in so far are being small and quiet I decided to go for a 2nd large & noisy camera but with more flexible range of optics available... so am currently waiting for a new Bessa-R with a nokton 50/1.5 to arrive. Different focal length from the XA to play with and hopefully pretty good in low light.
My just-about-to-go means around the beginning of April so I plan on shooting off as many rolls as I can in March to make sure everything's in order cos this will be quite a different kettle of fish to what I'm used to.
Thanks again all!

Interesting. I just ordered the Bessa R with the 35/2.5 Color Skopar (I think it's called that).

It actually isn't so big, about the size of a Leica M body, and the lenses are quite small due being made for RF cameras. The shutter noise? I hope no noisier than a Pentax Spotmatic.

At least you won't be getting that whirr-katschung-whirr that you get with Maxxum 7.

You can never have enough cameras . . .

The G1 seems to be a screaming bargain right now. You can afford a body and a couple of lenses. Just be aware that the bodies with a green sticker inside the film compartment have been modified to take the wider lenses that came out later.

Take a look at KEH - they usually have G's on hand.

Robert

Back