Camera comfort with wife's cancer .

Thanks everyone .

My apologies for nor responding to your good wishes , but I found myself a bit out of it for a while . Not that the is new as I am ever distanced - using a camera as a way of being a part and apart .
We are awaiting some tests to decide if she is living with cancer ... or recovered .
It's a strange limbo land in keeping somehow with the isolation of over 70s .
I hope that you all keep safe .
Jut before lockdown , I was going to London with my wife taking shots from the bus , as you do , faced with a ghost town which was unsettling.

I was musing on the OTT excitement of being able to acquire new of ex-dem Fuji cameras at much less than the original price .
It's about the money ... but it isn't .

In another , pre-retired life , retirement forced by what we might have called a 'nervous breakdown ' and and early end to my career and enjoying London with a camera , i had my Leica M8 and the Leica Digilux 3 from an inheritance .
Because they had an analogue feel .

Post that I was in entry level territory with what turned out to be a dreadful Minolta A35 which managed to ruin the joys of an SLR with mirror and an EVF which was dreadful ! Either that or the boxy A290 with CCD but allowing the continuity with my Minolta lenses .

I played with the Fuji X-Pro 1 in a camera store - remember them ? - and loved it , but £1400 was just a dream .
In 2016 Fuji seemed desperate to clear 1st Generation attempts , so I found a new boxed body @ £168 .I picked up a 27mm for £150 and it transformed my trip to Malaysia .

I was not the money - it was the opportunity of finding another analogue styled camera which just feels right .
I had heard of that special sensor - and how slow and awkward it is - and I am unsure about the kit zoom gathered in when I found an X-T1 .
The 27 just fits perfectly .
OK i caught an X-M1 and Champagne X-T 100 on close out probably because I know that if my X-Pro dies on me , I would not attempt to get it fixed .

I have no desire , or intention of looking out for the next generation Fujis , I am amazingly content , as i was with my Minolta XD 7 and SRT 102 / 101 way back .

The wierd element is that I am grounded in this uncertainty by my Fuji family .
Not apologising , just how it is / I am .

Respect
dee

Thanks for being back! By the way my first "serious" camera was a Minolta SRT 101, I still have it!
Nice to know you have a camera and a lens you are content with them, no need for anything else.
Wish all the best for you and your wife.

I wish your wife a total recovery, Dee.
I am still pre-retirement, but I have been having thoughts on how to lead my life when I will be retired. It may become an enforced retirement due to health reasons, but I can be optimistic that it will not be that way :)

Stay healthy and happy. You need both.

Dee, loads of prayers and good vibes going out to you and your wife.
Take each day as it comes, try to stay positive and, of course, take
pictures now and then. Stay well, be careful.

Dee, this shut down isn't too hard for me; I'm a complete loner. I do have to say the RFF has been my one venture to the outside world. So keep in touch; RFF has a very nice group of people with which to communicate. We, of course, are concerned for your wife so at least give her my best. But you possibly can find some solace by 'hanging out here.'

Dee, this shut down isn't too hard for me; I'm a complete loner. I do have to say the RFF has been my one venture to the outside world. So keep in touch; RFF has a very nice group of people with which to communicate. We, of course, are concerned for your wife so at least give her my best. But you possibly can find some solace by 'hanging out here.'

Very well said.

I am apart anyway - I can't relate to 'real' - read connected - people due to a n ASD type glitch , so I actually prefer the quiet and lack of bissiness [?} which disorientates me .
I do like dropping in on this forum even though the M8 is retired I cannot bring myself to part with it .
It comes out , now and again with the CV 35 f2.5 and the results still please me .
Thanks for listening and keep safe
[ I actually swapped a new Olympus OM1 for the SRT 102 - backward step ? but the fiddly controls of the OM1 did not work for me - The used SRT culminating in a brand new SRT 101b on close out . never looked back .

Dee, you and your wife are in my thoughts, as with many others here, I'm sure.

My Dad's first SLR was the SRT Super, which I now have, along with the 50/1.4, 35/2.8 and 135/2.8 that he got with it. What a camera, and what lenses!

I'm moving in the opposite direction with digital cameras for now, using my Panasonic G9 for general shooting instead of the M9 I've had for ten years. Autofocus is disturbingly convenient, haha.

Wishing you a happy and relieving result, and a healthy and safe life.

Hi Dee, Minolta are good cameras! here is my 101. I left the book on the background because the SRT 101 was the first camera of Annie Leibovitz as well!

srt-101-1.jpg

Back