Camera and Coffee

On most days, I start off with fresh tea leaves in the morning, and re-steep throughout the day.
I'm going to have to give that a try next Saturday (or, heck, maybe I'll just bring my yellow tea leaves and single cup glass pot/infuser to work). I like successive brews of tea, and something about it mellowing out over the course of the day into evening sounds very relaxing!

I'm going to have to give that a try next Saturday (or, heck, maybe I'll just bring my yellow tea leaves and single cup glass pot/infuser to work). I like successive brews of tea, and something about it mellowing out over the course of the day into evening sounds very relaxing!
It works better with some teas than others, but puehr and oolong teas in particular can be pretty entertaining when re-steeped, as the character changes somewhat, and often, the first isn't the best.

The last of the day's tea dregs. Limiting my caffeine intake, and eating less after mid-afternoon has done wonders for my sleep.

Several years have elapsed since it arrived, and I don't recall why I felt compelled to acquire a Minoltina-S, but at the time (pre-pandemic), it seemed to matter, and I probably paid too much for a poorly-photographed specimen. I did usual tidying-up of the camera soon after it arrived, but the slow speed escapement proved vexing: It's very lightly sprung, my usual lubricants were too viscous for it, yet it didn't work properly when dry, either. Finally it dawned on me to dunk the entire escapement into a solution of molybdenum/graphite/lithium mixed with naptha, which I figured ought to work as a dry lubricant. And so far (knock wood) it seems to be working very well.

Selenium-powered light meter is dead, but it certainly would be handy if it worked. If the problem is merely a dead selenium cell, then I ought to be able to re-cell with a longer-lasting silicon solar cell readily enough. The replacement can be just a fraction of the size of the original, as silicon can produce a heck of a lot more current than comparably-sized selenium: Milliamps versus microamps.
Minoltina-S.jpg

I admit that the background clutter is distracting, but I was trying to catch the last beams of early morning sunlight streaming through the blinds. Salyut-S plus a new-to-me Minox IIIs.

I previously built a 16 mm / Minox film slitter, and think I may wind up modifying a Jobo developing reel to work with the Minox film. Still need to obtain film cassettes, and the camera itself feels sludgy, so a CLA is in order (hopefully an easy 1-afternoon project). And as luck would have it, I already own a Minox chain, which used to be part of my dad's Minox C outfit.

Had actually been seeking a Minox A, with it's metric distance scale, but thought this IIIs was priced very decently! In any event, it'll probably have the lens in the hyperfocal position most of the time.
View attachment 4823254
Very nice! ... and reminds me of my Minox RIGA that I had sent to repair to DAG for an overhaul of slow shutter speeds in February 2021...

Bought a fresh roll of BW film for the first time in maybe 7 or 8 yrs, Ilford Ortho Plus. Keen to see how this film works for me, never tried an orthochromatic BW film before. Loaded my Leica IID with this film and hoping to leave work early enough to take some photos with the camera. Coffee is my daily lunch-at-work canned coffee...IMG_3233.jpeg

A freshly-brewed cup of lapsang souchong from Fujian province. Not at all familiar with this sort of tea, but I'm glad I finally tried it because it's not what I had expected from a smoked tea: Seems more floral and reminiscent of dried fruit.

Alpa 5 is in need of shutter repair or replacement, and I'm taking it slow, because the design of this camera seems unlike anything else that I've worked on to date, and the level of detail is exceptional. But some details are non-obvious to me, such as why it needs a pair of spring-loaded ball bearings and a finely-milled toothed wheel for the rewind knob. I hadn't noticed any ratcheting action or clicky feel, but then, the lubricants have dried out, and are in need of replacement. A number of screws were originally polished to a mirror sheen, and I plan on repolishing them.
_8112199.jpg

Very nice! What lens is it? Collapsible Elmar?
1934 3.5cm Elmar

43524758324_d6c2769ea6_c.jpg

Robert, in the mid 70s these were "the" camera for climbers. My friends and i all had them. The lenses were terrific. I always loved the camera but hated the way it handled. But they were tough and we got fine photos with them.... Real nostalgia for me.
Maybe I need to find one, and take it climbing in the gym up in the Wellman Harness. (I use my upper body to ascend). Adaptive climber inside!

Back