UK Region Birmingham "Canal" Meet

Kim Coxon

Local time
3:08 AM
Hi All,
Sorry for the delay but I have been trying to work out the logistics. Moving an 18 ton boat around isn't quite as easy as jumping on the tube in London. Much as I love Birmingham, there are strecths on the canal where I don't wish to stop for the night. Parts of the canal are also likely to be full of the "wrong sort of leaves" :eek: I am limited to a max of 8 on the boat at any time to to insurance/legal limits which give space for up to 6 cruising.

A provisional plan. It will depend partly on what time the boat is ready on the Sat at Alvechurch (Jcn 2 M42) and whether I can get into Gas Street that afternoon. I will be getting to Alvechurch at about 12 and I am almost certain that I will be to get away by 2. In the meantime there is a pleasant pub on site to wait at. It's then about 3 hours into the middle of Birmingham to moor around the NIA/ICC just off Broad street. If anyone wants to join for this, the station at Alvechurch is 5 mins walk from the marina and on the line from Birm to Redditch to get back. There may also be a possibility of a couple of spare berths on the boat.

On Sunday, I need to leave by 10am. The NIA is about 20 mins walk from New Street. The idea would be to go down the Farmers Bridge Flight of locks which will take about an hour to 1 1/2 hours so any late comers could catch up. Many of the offices around here are built on top of the lock pounds on stilts. At the bottom by Aston, take the Digbeth branch to the Grand Union This will take us through Tysley, Sparkbrook and then Solihull. I would suggest anyone who wants to can jump off there and can easily get public transport back into the centre of Brum. The canal then gets into the countryside and I aim to stop outside the pub in Catherine de Barnes. Anyone is welcome to come the whole way but getting back might be more difficult. If others want to arrange a curry in Brum for the evening, I will leave it up to them. As we will be going through Francesco's neck of the woods, he might be able to Help/suggest with transport and ideas for the evening.

Kim

Wow, I would love to go to this as it would really take me back (I did post-grad at Aston U.). This is a wonderful idea for a meet!

It's been a while since I went up to the Midlands for photography, I 'll try and make this one. Would make a change from visiting family and seeing nothing of the area.

Kim Coxon said:
As we will be going through Francesco's neck of the woods, he might be able to Help/suggest with transport and ideas for the evening.

Kim

Kim

I ma up to it, but if I understand well the plan we will be in Catherine de Barnes in the evening, I am not much familiar with the "posh" Solihull area, I'll try and get some info about nice curry houses.

Another option is to take the 192 bus from Catherine de Barnes to Solihull city centre, and then the 37 to Birmingham city centre, and have a curry there, unfortunately I am not familiar at all with the public transport system in Birmingham so funnily enough I would need some help guys :D

Cheers

peter_n said:
If you want a great curry in the middle of Brum the Rajdoot on Albert Street is excellent!

Indeed an extremely good restaurant, however I believe we are looking for something less posh, I was thinking of the Balti triangle, maybe a place like King's Paradise on the Stratford Road, but I am open to suggestions.

Rajdoot has the advantage of being right in the city centre, so much closer to more photogenic places, if we are all prepared to pay about a fiver for a starter and more than a tenner for a main course we could indeed go there, but I need to know because it is highly advisable to book in advance.

Hi,
Sorry for the delay but been just a bit busy. I have also had a few thoughts partly driven by the recent weather and the fact that the clocks change so we lose an hour of daylight. It should also make life easier for all. If we start out at 10, it will prove difficult to get to Catherine-de-Barnes by the time it gets dark and difficult to get back.

A revised plan. The boat will leave the NIA at 10 on Sunday 29 Oct. We can then head up toward Tipton and the Black Country Museum by the "New" Mainline line and then return via the "Old" Mainline. This should put us back at the NIA at about 4 in the afternoon and right by Broad Street for an evening out etc and/or access to New Street for the return Journey. Also it gives the chance for anybody who wants to attend a Birmingham meet without the Canal trip to take part.

As to the Logistics, Please send me a PM if you intend to come and I will send my mobile number so you can check where we are. There is also a legal limit of a Max of 12 on board so it is more or less first come first served. My wife has agreed kindly to be "galley slave" for the day and will provide a bottomles teapot/coffeepot as well as a few snacks such as biscuits and cakes/buns depending on how much time she has this week for baking. It will probably prove to be too difficult to provide a full lunch for everyone so if you want more than this, please bring your own sarnies etc. there will probably also be some beer/wine on board. ;) There are only a few locks on this route (2 flights of 3) so there may be a short break in service while we do these unless you help with them.

Hopefully you should see Birmingham from a new perspective.

Kim

I think it's a small crowd. I'm gutted I can't attend!!

I expect you all to have a pint and a vindaloo on my behalf :)

Back