Leica LTM Best ever Barnack?

Leica M39 screw mount bodies/lenses
All my Barnacks are fun to use buy I am very fond of the early models. This includes my Leica Standard and Leica II because they are so compact and simple to use, but I also enjoy working with the reproduction of the Leica Null.

Haven't tried a Leotax, but I have a Canon IVSB and a Tower 46 that are both good. Had a few other exotics, but those I kept.

I prefer the Leica III black/nickel. I like black painted cameras, that is one point, but the other point is the enlarged rangefinder (compared to the Leica II). The image of the rangefinder of the Leica II is life size, but that of the Leica III is larger and therefore more precise and much easier to use.

Erik.

43555499531_d5ebaa8baa_z.jpg

Had a good day out yesterday - a 21km hike with this kit:

IMG_6495.jpg

I've used (or at least fondled) most Barnacks at this point, and I have to agree with OP: The Leotax is as good as it gets. I went for the T2L Elite over the other models as I hate self-timers (they just get in the way), but yeah - these late Leotax models are fantastic.

The engineering is great, the viewfinder - while not quite as good as the IIIg, I have to disagree with that point - is a big improvement over all over Barnacks, and it's a very useable camera while not deviating too far from what made the Barnack design great.

The biggest improvement for me is the rewind lever; the fact you get a fold-out rewind crank is a huge improvement, and it's a damn sight better (both in use and aesthetically) than the canted one Leitz used on most of the M models.

It honestly boggles my mind that Leotax failed while Canon went from strength to strength. I've yet to use a single Canon LTM camera that I didn't hate for one reason or another - including this IIIa here. It's actually got the 15mm Heliar on it just so I don't have to interact with that god-awful combined RF/VF!

I've got to say any of the later LTM Canons are my choices. Sane loading, multiple lens - paralax corrected BIG viewfinders, Lever-wind and crank rewind, visual indicators for film transport and cocked shutter. I still lust after a Leica I though.

I've got to say any of the later LTM Canons are my choices. Sane loading, multiple lens - paralax corrected BIG viewfinders, Lever-wind and crank rewind, visual indicators for film transport and cocked shutter. I still lust after a Leica I though.
My personal argument against the Canons is that they have all the features I purposely pick a Barnack to avoid: the flappy swing back of the SLRs that I hated, the size of an M, and no 1.5x magnified rangefinder. Even the early ones which avoid a lot of that annoy me - the IIIa has the smallest viewfinder with the worst eye relief I've ever seen. I'd take a FED 2 over that Canon, which is saying something.

Also, FYI... those late Leotaxes have a visual indicator for film transport and shutter cocking. I forgot about that as I never look at it, but it's there.

Barnacks are the best deal in Leica or Leica-like cameras these days. Back in the day I had a couple Leica IIIf RD with Leicavit and those now precious LTM lenses; rigid 5cm Summicron, 35mm Summicron, and 90mm 3-element. Sold recently my Leica III black-paint/nickel because I just didn’t use it. But, couldn’t resist this Leica IIIb war-time 1940 paired with a very early Summitar (Leitz blue-amber coated in the 1960s). Always wanted a IIIb, the last of the original smaller sized body, with improvements. Compact, beautifully built and to look at, and just fun.1679392426991.jpeg

Back