Bags for Micro Four Thirds

Chriscrawfordphoto

Real Men Shoot Film.
Local time
6:39 AM
As many of you know, I sold all of my Canon fullframe digital gear a few months ago and switched to a Micro Four Thirds system with an Olympus Pen-F body and several Olympus and Panasonic lenses.

I made the switch because of my health. I like to carry a camera everywhere I go, because I often see things when I am out that will not be around long enough for me to go home and get a camera. The problem is, the Canon 5DmkII I had, and the two lenses I carried with it (Canon 24-105mm f4L-IS and Tokina ATX-Pro 17-35mm f4) weighed a ton. It was becoming painful and difficult for me to carry all of that weight all the time.

So, I switched to Micro Four Thirds. Problem is, I had a closet full of bags made for larger cameras. I had owned some great bags suited for small cameras with small lenses back when I was shooting Leica, but I had to sell all of my Leica 35mm gear years ago after I suffered a stroke and lost my teaching job. I sold the bags, which were expensive Artisan & Artist bags, at the same time.

Now, I needed new bags, but I am not earning a teacher's salary anymore and couldn't afford to re-buy the A&A bags I used before. There aren't a lot of bags really suited to a small mirrorless system, and I see a lot of threads on RFF asking for recommendations.

Here's what I ended up getting:

1: Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 25i

tt-mm25i-1.jpg

While Think Tank bags are popular on RFF, I've never seen anyone here mention the Mirrorless Mover series. They're small, lightweight, very nicely designed as 'working bags,' and very inexpensive. The one I chose, the 25i, was only $69.

tt-mm25i-2.jpg

This little bag carries a lot of stuff. I have my Pen-F with the Olympus 25mm f1.8 in the center compartment. The two small lens compartments on the right hold a Panasonic Leica 15mm f1.7 and an Olympus 45mm f1.8 lens. The larger compartment on the left holds a Panasonic 45-150mm f4-5.6 lens.

tt-mm25i-4.jpg

My main complaint about this bag is that my big Sekonic L-758DR light meter just plain won't fit in it. If I remove a lens, I can fit in a smaller light meter, like the Gossen pictured above.

tt-mm25i-3.jpg

Larger lenses will fit, too. I removed the 15mm lens and moved the 45-150 to its place in one of the small compartments to make room for Olympus's gigantic 7-14mm f2.8 Pro zoom.

In Part II, I'll show the other bag I am using for my Micro Four Thirds system.

Think Tank Retrospective 6

The Think Tank Retrospective series bags are very popular on RFF. There is a large range of them from very small ones suited to Leicas and mirrorless system, to very large ones more suited to big DSLR systems.

These bags are a lot more stylish than the Mirrorless Movers, and look less like a camera bag, if that is important to you. It comes at a price, though. The Retrospective bags cost a lot more! The one I chose, the Retrospective 6, cost $154.

tt-retro-6-1.jpg

The Think Tank Retrospective 6 in Pinestone color.

tt-retro-6-3.jpg

This bag holds a lot more lenses than the Mirrorless mover in my first post. It comes with enough dividers to make four of the small-lens compartments, though I have mine set up with just two of the compartments.

The Retrospective 6 was designed specifically for small mirrorless systems, and it works well. The bag isn't very large, but the way I arranged the dividers in mine allows it to hold the camera, 25mm f1.8 Olympus, 7-14mm f2.8 Olympus zoom, 45-150mm f4-5.6 Panasonic zoom, plus one more small lens.

More importantly, it holds my big Sekonic light meter. It also has a large back pocket, which the Mirrorless Mover lacks. I keep a 7 inch Samsung tablet in it most of the time.

Hard to go wrong with Think Tank. I ended up with a Hadley Small for my compact, mirrorless kit, but would have happily gone with either of the bags you chose.

These bags are a lot more stylish than the Mirrorless Movers, and look less like a camera bag, if that is important to you.

What does this actually mean? It's a comment you see in bag reviews and discussions all the time, and generally in reference to a bag that look very much like a camera bag to me...

I alternate between a Tenba Cooper 8, and a Peak Designs Sling 5L for m4/3. Happy with both bags, but the Tenba was fairly pricey.

have you looked at the tenba dna 8?

I don't like the Tenba DNA bags. They're incredibly ugly in my opinion, and aren't really sized well for the equipment I have. I also like that Think Tank's bags that are made for mirrorless had the smaller lens compartments, since many Micro Four Thirds lenses are so small in diameter.

Hi Chris,

I also use a Micro 4/3 system and found the Tamrac Apache 6.2 to be a useful bag. It fits a Panasonic GX7, 2 zooms(12-35,35-100), a 25mm. a 20mm and a flash. Plus there are a bunch of pockets for accessories. I think it is well thought out.

After having used M4/3 for 2 years I have begun to sell my Canon DSLR system. For the photography that I do M4/3 is actually better.

I mainly use a Billingham Hadley pro, someone listed it in completely the wrong part of Ebay so it was silly silly cheap. I tend to carry two cameras and two lenses depending where I am going . There is a nice bit of room round the cameras which makes them quick to get out and on the odd occasion a third camera and lens (17,25,45 or 60). I do like the Retrospectives, have a ten as a store virtually all the stuff bag and it can take nappies etc along side cameras if need be.

For those who prefer soft bags, CourierWare offers custom bags in their Micro & Mini product lines. You get to choose inside and outside pocket configurations, flap closure method and strap options.

Back