Autocord vs Tessar Rolleiflex (now that they cost about the same)

I would prefer a sound Rolleiflex T over any Japanese TLR.

Me too. I have (and often use) two latermodel Ts (black bodies, mid 1960s) which ergonomically are as good as they get. They are light and easy to use but the speed and f/stop settings are via two belts which seems rather flimsy. I use them carefully and have not had any problem with a belt breaking.

The Ts and the 'cord Vb have accessory 16 exposure kits for additional images if smaller negatives/slides. With careful cranking you can easily get 17 images on a 120 roll.

Negatives from my Ts and the Vb are contrasty and sharp and print easily to up to 8x10" which is as big as I want.

Rolleiflex T is my all time favorite TLR though, even over F's. I'm keeping one X for nostalgia but ditching my MX for lack of use now.

Mine too. I had several very clean 2.8 F and I prefer the character of the T's Tessar

49590942627_bc25f57333_c.jpg

Flickr

I have not tried all the Rollei models, but I can add my voice to say I'm very fond of the Rollei T. I like the lens, the more ergonomic nature of the shutter release button, the 75mm focal length, and the fairly light weight. Like Ozmoose, I'm a little concerned about the belts; but with careful use I have had no problem.

Do you prefer a Rolleiflex T over a late model Automat? Why? Why not?
Do they have the same Tessar taking lenses?

The only thing about the T is repairability. I understand Harry Fleenor doesn't work on them. I don't know how hard it might be to get them fixed.

The only thing about the T is repairability. I understand Harry Fleenor doesn't work on them. I don't know how hard it might be to get them fixed.

Maybe Harry isn't working on them now..... but when i got mine originally 6 or 7 years ago, it went straight to Oceanside for a full refurb and a Maxwell screen and has been working flawlessly since then.

Raid, honestly i couldn't tell you re: Automat or T. I'd always had 2.8F w Planars and i had traded my last one on a new 90mm Rodenstock Super Angulon XL...which was a pricey lens. I always liked the small packed size of the Rolleiflex so when i found a used T on *bay for $300, i thought if it didn't work out, i could get my money back. It was supposed to have a lens separation... but doesn't. It was clean on the outside & lenses...not heavily used. I didn't care for the dim screen. So I sent to to Harry for the works...including Maxwell Screen. The bill w shipping was about $650.

Harry did a great job and i've used it a lot, including two trips in Europe where it was my only camera w/ no back up: one hiking & doing via ferratas around Cortina in the Dolomites & another on the 160km Tour du Mont Blanc through France, Italy & Switzerland. I've sold 20"x20" BW custom prints from that camera. The Tessar is a beautiful lens. On trips where i'm using 35 as well....the T is compact and light for photos that benefit from a big negative. I might part with my 4x5 or my Plaubel 670, but I will never sell this one.

51404988531_a12f0bb76f_c.jpg

39820315615_5a68fa1b1f_c.jpg

I have cleaned a few Rolleiflex T and a couple of Tessar Rolleiflex MX. The older Rolleiflex MX is much better built than the Rolleiflex T and does inspire much more trust once you have seen its innards. The improved Tessar or the T might be marginally better but I would choose the MX over the T anytime, especially considering the T is usually sensibly more expensive.

But I also agree with Brett in that the handling of the old Rolleicord with the right-hand advance knob is much better. I have a Rolleicord III and it's a delight to use: a light, robust and superbly efficient camera with a sharp Xenar lens. And it's selling for much less money than any Rolleiflex model.

As for the Minolta Autocord, I would rate it on par with a Rolleiflex MX, with equally good.lenses. The Minolta is a bit easier to use but I think the Rolleiflex is better built. But I still prefer my Rolleicord III...

Cheers!

Abbazz

Do you prefer a Rolleiflex T over a late model Automat? Why? Why not?
Do they have the same Tessar taking lenses?

At some point after the WWII Carl Zeiss recomputed the Tessar and the T is said to have this recomputed lens. In theory it could be that some of the later Rolleiflexes equipped with a Tessar could have been fitted with the recomputed version, but I have not encountered anything but speculations in this regard.

If I understand correctly, the last Rolleiflex with a Tessar left the factory in 1956 (3.5B) and the first T's began shipping in 1958 so the production did not overlap.

You could also argue that if it is unclear if later Rolleiflex Tessar's were recomputed or not, then it probably doesn't matter.

I own a MX-EVS (Tessar 1954) and a 3.5E (Planar 1958) both are great. My Rolleiflex T is however one of the very last from the early 70's when Rollei changed to the Xenar lens, thus I cannot compare Tessar lenses. (well, I have an old Automat from 1937 with a Tessar, but that lens is uncoated so no point in comparing).

Thank you all for the feedback. I owned at first several Rolleiflex 2.8 models, but I sold the 2.8E and 2.8F. At one stage I got an MX. it be is lighter than my 2.8D or 3.5F.

Minolta Autocord Low Tripod by Nokton48, on Flickr

I bought this Autocord at a local camera auction. I was outbid, but then the buyer came over and started asking questions. The focus lever was broken off and he did not want to deal with that. So I bought the camera from him. I paid $70 for it and send it for complete CLA/upgrade.

The Tessar type lens is lovely to look through, it provides great enjoyment to me.

Here is my "Irving Penn" setup with Hasselblad Stovepipe (fantastic by the way) and lowboy retro tripod.

Autocord R1 No 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Joes Crab Shack Minolta Autocord wide open 5 sec camera propped up on table ADOX Borax MQ Arista 5x7 #2 Multigrade dev

Unusual to see a Great White Shark in Ohio. :)

Back