Anyone else prefer their XT to their X series rangefinder

lxmike

M2 fan.
Local time
11:44 AM
I have owned and still own an X-Pro 1, XE-1 and an X100 , however last year I bought a mint example XT-2 and I love it, in fact I currently shoot more on it than any other camera I own. does anyone else prefer their Fuji SLR to their rangefinder. I love the fuji film kit, so much so I am considering selling my film gear, I am going to shoot all my film cameras this year and decide which cameras to cull.

I was a dedicated X-Pro and X100 user until a few years ago when I picked up a NOS X-H1 at a great price.

I liked it [the X-H1] so much that it soon became my favorite Fujifilm camera. I recently sold my X-Pro3 because I was rarely using it. I still have my X100V and a X-E4 that I use mostly for travel. And, I recently bought a NOS X-T2 Silver Graphite Edition because the price was right and it looked so darn cool! My GFX 50R is rangefinder style but that doesn't play into the equation because I almost always use it on a tripod.

The short answer to your question would be that I now prefer the Fujifilm SLR style more than rangefinder.

All the best,
Mike

P.S. it's easy to hold the XT style one handed; that's a big plus in a country where it rains a lot and an umbrella often occupies my other hand.

Last edited:
Nope, I am still an X-Pro3 and X-E4 user (and a GFX-50R user too). I've used most of them over the 10+ year history of X (except the ones released this year) and I know I am an X-Pro guy at this point. I will not buy again until the X-Pro4. If there is not X-Pro4, then I will see what I do later.

Last edited:
I bought an X-E1not long after they came out and a few months ago bought a NOS X-T3. Disregarding the obvious improvements in technology I prefer my X-T3 hands down.

Never tried an XT but just bought my second copy of the Xpro-3, the hybrid OVF/EVF is just perfect. For SLR-style I use the Nikon Z7ii.

I did a major camera reshuffle at the end of the year to get a pair of X-T5s with dedicated 18 and 33 fujilux lenses ; but I still grab the X100V eight times out of ten ( often accompanied with a M-A ).

For me, a first edition XT1 is still a brilliant camera. I still found myself turning to it when I got the newer XE cameras and the first edition lenses such as the Fujinon 35mm F1.4 also rendered much nicer on it than the later camera models (something to do with that first X Trans sensor?).

Never really warmed up to the XT series. I use XP2 and X100S as my main Fuji cameras. I did pull out my old XP1's recently and started using them again. Really nice except for the lack of an adjustable diopter. I retained one XT-1 when I was selling stuff. The XT-1 mates very well to the 14mm and it's sometimes kinda neat to try something different. Still prefer OVFs over EVFs.

I was a dedicated X-Pro and X100 user until a few years ago when I picked up a NOS X-H1 at a great price.

I liked it [the X-H1] so much that it soon became my favorite Fujifilm camera. I recently sold my X-Pro3 because I was rarely using it. I still have my X100V and a X-E4 that I use mostly for travel. And, I recently bought a NOS X-T2 Silver Graphite Edition because the price was right and it looked so darn cool! My GFX 50R is rangefinder style but that doesn't play into the equation because I almost always use it on a tripod.

The short answer to your question would be that I now prefer the Fujifilm SLR style more than rangefinder.

All the best,
Mike

P.S. it's easy to hold the XT style one handed; that's a big plus in a country where it rains a lot and an umbrella often occupies my other hand.
I must admit I am leaning towards the Fuji slr style more too.

Nope, I am still an X-Pro3 and X-E4 user (and a GFX-50R user too). I've used most of them over the 10+ year history of X (except the ones released this year) and I know I am an X-Pro guy at this point. I will not buy again until the X-Pro4. If there is not X-Pro4, then I will see what I do later.
The X-Pro series is quite special an I still use my X-pro1 a lot but there is something about the XT-2 that just ticks boxes for me. How is the build quality on the X-Pro3?

I bought an X-E1not long after they came out and a few months ago bought a NOS X-T3. Disregarding the obvious improvements in technology I prefer my X-T3 hands down.
Thanks for your reply, I find the XT series to be very special.

I did a major camera reshuffle at the end of the year to get a pair of X-T5s with dedicated 18 and 33 fujilux lenses ; but I still grab the X100V eight times out of ten ( often accompanied with a M-A ).
thats a nice set up of cameras you have there

For me, a first edition XT1 is still a brilliant camera. I still found myself turning to it when I got the newer XE cameras and the first edition lenses such as the Fujinon 35mm F1.4 also rendered much nicer on it than the later camera models (something to do with that first X Trans sensor?).
I must admit there is something so special about the first X Trans sensor

Never really warmed up to the XT series. I use XP2 and X100S as my main Fuji cameras. I did pull out my old XP1's recently and started using them again. Really nice except for the lack of an adjustable diopter. I retained one XT-1 when I was selling stuff. The XT-1 mates very well to the 14mm and it's sometimes kinda neat to try something different. Still prefer OVFs over EVFs.
Thanks for the reply, Fujifilm 's OVF is such a great piece of kit

I’m 74 and retired last year after almost 55 years as a commercial photographer. I kept two of my Nikons, D800 and Df and most of my G series lenses and all of my primes. I used G series on the D800 and AIs primes on the Df. Love the primes on the Df. I deal with arthritis now and wanted a small lightweight kit to take on the vacations I missed. That’s the price of owning a business. So I considered the Nikon Z equipment and already had the X-E1 with a 18-50 and 50-230. I could have stayed with that setup and been perfectly happy with the kit and the images but my wife and I were planning to take a vacation across the country in a new Mini Cooper S we just bought and wanted a little newer camera and a couple additional lenses. Space in the car was a huge consideration and weight due to arthritis.

Things I dislike about the X-E1 having used SLR cameras for many decades was the low res VF and slow AF and shutter lag when pressin the shutter button. I started looking and reading and found a NOS X-T3 and bought it. I added a Rokinon 12 and an 8mm Rokinon.

The T3 lived up to my expectations and gave me what I was looking for. Coming from a direct view SLR viewfinder took getting used to but the T3 made it easy. Resolution in the vf is good and refresh rate is fine. Size and weight are perfect and I especially love the iso, shutter speed and exposure compensation on top. It pairs quite well with my Df kit.

After returning from our 5000 mile trip over almost 4 weeks I’m very pleased with my choice. Matter of fact I traded some film equipment and put together a prime kit and added another zoom. I picked up a 16 f2.8, 23, 35 and 50 F2’s and a 50-140. The 50-140 will mostly stay in the trunk but the prime kit is really nice and more to what I used in my professional life. Let me say I’m very pleased and would buy the same kit again.

A few points to consider if weighing Fuji vs FF Nikon. I also bought a Fringer adapter and use my 70-290 f2.8 VR II, 24-70 f2.8, 24 & 85 tilt shift on my Fuji ( sold my 16-35 but it worked great too). They work perfectly.

A consideration, a Fuji kit will be smaller and lighter than a FF kit. I know quite well how much difference there is and my joints are suffering for it now.

Image quality is a little better with FF but the differences are minor and can be worked around. I got into digital in early 2000 when the Nikon D1 came out then moved up in cameras until I bought Hasselblad digital. I found that you reach a point in quality that the improvement in quality can’t be reproduced on paper. You can see it possibly on a fine monitor but you can’t retain it in print. Same he’s with aps-c vs FF vs medium format. Where the larger sensors excel are in dynamic range, color depth and printing to huge sizes. Let me put it this way, if I’d started shooting assignments on my Fuji my clients would never have seen a difference.

Matter of fact I used to use the Fuji when I’d scout locations for a shoot. I snapped images and made a storyboard of what I’d do on the actual shoot. Planning! I did this in an industrial facility where beans were canned and had good images I’d shot in raw. Turns out the particular process is shot was needed for some huge display prints and the process line had been shut down tooling up for a different product. The process needed wouldn’t be setup again for several months. Well I presented full res tif files retouched and they wound up being printed quite large and looked great. My client was happy and it made me look good too. My little Fuji was plenty good and saved the day.

Here are a few images shot with the T3 from the trip. All were from raw files.

Attachments

• DCF328ED-268F-44FA-B92E-C59344582970.jpeg
    DCF328ED-268F-44FA-B92E-C59344582970.jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 926FD528-3412-446B-8F8D-D1A68729D5E8.jpeg
    926FD528-3412-446B-8F8D-D1A68729D5E8.jpeg
    370.6 KB · Views: 17
  • B38A792C-BAEE-4053-960E-CDEAAD3B08D8.jpeg
    B38A792C-BAEE-4053-960E-CDEAAD3B08D8.jpeg
    167.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 59382400-DB22-43CC-B576-AB0BA4AF79A4.jpeg
    59382400-DB22-43CC-B576-AB0BA4AF79A4.jpeg
    202.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 206AA056-0F20-41DD-9553-05F5DF91ACDF.jpeg
    206AA056-0F20-41DD-9553-05F5DF91ACDF.jpeg
    353.5 KB · Views: 17
  • F2B48833-903D-43AF-AE80-4BBCF320E125.jpeg
    F2B48833-903D-43AF-AE80-4BBCF320E125.jpeg
    348 KB · Views: 16
  • 06262A91-9BD0-4896-8822-89A67B90F2B8.jpeg
    06262A91-9BD0-4896-8822-89A67B90F2B8.jpeg
    272.8 KB · Views: 16
The X-Pro series is quite special an I still use my X-pro1 a lot but there is something about the XT-2 that just ticks boxes for me. How is the build quality on the X-Pro3?
Other than the screen issue (cable breaks and needs to be replaced which Fuji did on mine for free), it certainly feels good enough to me. It isn't Leica, but I haven't had an issues other than that defect. That said, I do not use my cameras in tough situations like war, horrible weather, climbing things, etc.

Reactions: dct
Back