Any love for the x30?

colker

-
Local time
4:48 PM
It´s so good looking in silver. It is small AND has a zoom. It has manual focus on a point and shoot. It´s viewfinder it´s in between the xpro/x100 and the xt.. so it favours left eye photographers while still looking classy as RFs always look.
So light. Right now it´s my fave... but then it´s my only Fuji.

I have just bought one of these, after reading a lot of reviews. The modest 12MP seems to be balanced by many reports of great pictures, and the built in zoom is pretty useful if you're not trying to be terribly serious. The VF is a big bonus, and it's not a large camera. Mine is also silver and black, very retro! I'm sure there are better cameras along the same lines but their price tags are rather higher.

Yes, I also love the X30! My only criticism is that because the sensor is rather tiny the low light performance leaves something -- OK, quite a lot -- to be desired. However as a small P&S that can shoot RAW it's fab. One of its nicest features is the manual zoom lens. Personally I hate power zooms as I can never get them to exactly the FL that I want so this is an essential feature that, as far as I know, is not available in any other P&S. Sad it's discontinued but I guess the small sensor and limited wide angle (28mm equiv.) doesn't have enough of a wow factor in today's market.

Funny, I've just been rediscovering my X10. The jpeg output is very usable, and I'm happy with how generally handles. It's not as good for image quality as a 1" sensor cam like the Panasonic LX10, but it's certainly fun to shoot, and produces decent results. I haven't tried a X30, yet.

been lusting getting another X20, in daylight it beats phones cameras IMO and I like OVF more than EVF, never really got interested on the X30 but maybe I should reconsider it.
if it has usb charging then i’m sold

One of the coolest things about the X10/20/30 is the mechanical zoom. Far better than a motor zoom, fast and reliable. No motor to go kaput! And the zoom range of these cameras is good, too. 28-112mm equivalent. It's enough for most purposes.
There was an even smaller Fuji cam with the same sensor and manual zoom, wasn't there? XQ1 or something?

been lusting getting another X20, in daylight it beats phones cameras IMO and I like OVF more than EVF, never really got interested on the X30 but maybe I should reconsider it.
if it has usb charging then i’m sold

Yes, X30 has USB charging. It's also possible to buy a separate charger that connects to the mains via USB.

One of the coolest things about the X10/20/30 is the mechanical zoom. Far better than a motor zoom, fast and reliable. No motor to go kaput! And the zoom range of these cameras is good, too. 28-112mm equivalent. It's enough for most purposes.
There was an even smaller Fuji cam with the same sensor and manual zoom, wasn't there? XQ1 or something?

Yes, XQ1, although I doubt it has manual zoom. There was also supposed to be an XQ2 but I'm not sure if it was ever actually released.

Can't argue with this. I have the x20 and quite like it. When/if it eventually fails, I'll be looking at whatever closest featured camera is then available.
If I were buying now, the x30 would be what I spend my $ on.

I'm organizing my stuff for family trip to Tybee Island, Ga. on the Atlantic coast--leaving early Thursday! :) --and I'm taking one 35mm camera and the Fuji. Maybe. Not sure I'll bring the film camera to be honest.

Rob

I'm organizing my stuff for family trip to Tybee Island, Ga. on the Atlantic coast--leaving early Thursday! :) --and I'm taking one 35mm camera and the Fuji. Maybe. Not sure I'll bring the film camera to be honest.

Enjoy your trip! I often go out with the Contax T3 in my bag along with a digital camera, and to be honest, I hardly use the Contax because the scarcity mentality with film, and I feel like I'm babying it. In your case, take a 35mm film camera anyway, because if you do end up using it, the images will have a very different look from the X20.

There is a phenomenom with the X10/20/30. You can read a lot of critical things in reviews
or comments. If you have one yourself you don´t understand why. They are simply wonderful small
photographing machines.

Sold mine only because of a different personal setup where is
a Fuji F900EXR now for the pocket. Sure this ultracompact does not bring up the same performance
but as a backup while using bigger cams this is more versatile all in all for me.

I have the X10 and the X20. I use them both, with some preference for the X20 because of the focus confirmation in the viewfinder, and because my apple computers have a RAW converter for the X20. I'm not so tempted by the X30. I'd like an X20.1 (or X22) with a zoom range of 24-90, like my Leicasonic D-Lux 6 has. I'd sell my D-Lux 6 the instant Fuji came out with a 24-90 zoom.

And I'd love it if it could have a finder like the X100 has, accurate and with framelines!

Okay, I found it. The Fuji XQ1 and XQ2 are zoom compacts with small X-Trans sensors. The one I was thinking of is the XF1, which many appear to have forgotten.

Didn't know about that one and it looks interesting but don't think I can justify yet another camera ;)

The X30 makes a great travel camera. I took mine on a family vacation to Scotland a few years back and got some great pics for the wall. Haven't used it in a while, I need to pull it out and give it some exercise.

I had the X10 when it first hit the market and loved it's performance, manual zoom, and viewfinder, even though there was no information. Alas, it failed as the On/Off function being on the zoom lens feature, stopped working, or would only sporadically turn on.
I was really bummed as this camera was my "Go to" for compact digital.

I eventually purchased an X20, somewhat used, for 1/3 the price of the X10 new. I felt like I was back in business again with a slightly better camera. So far, it's still working great, but of course the On/Off is still the same way and I'm waiting for this to fail also.
( I hope I didn't just jinx myself).

Haven't even looked at the X30 but I assume it's pretty much the same and if the X20 gives up the ghost, I'm not sure I will continue, although I love the complete design of this camera, and image quality is just fine by my standards.

I hate to say this, but with my new Iphone 11, I'm questioning why I need any digital camera??? Of course, it will never replace my antique film camera collection, even though I may only shoot a few rolls a year.

Gary Hill

Yes, I liked the X30 when released but not now. If Fuji ever made a 1" sensor version, I would most likely have to have it.

I had the X10 when it first hit the market and loved it's performance, manual zoom, and viewfinder, even though there was no information. Alas, it failed as the On/Off function being on the zoom lens feature, stopped working, or would only sporadically turn on.
I was really bummed as this camera was my "Go to" for compact digital.

My X30 stopped working the other day and I wrongly thought it was a gonner. The battery indicator looked fine but when I changed from the cheapo generic battery in the camera to the original Fuji one it started working perfectly. The moral is, of course, that cheapo batteries are cheapo for a reason.

Back