UK Region Any good camera shops in York ?

Peter_Jones

Well-known
Local time
3:06 PM
I'm off to York for a couple of days at the end of the month, anyone know of any good camera shops (i.e. with the type of equipment we know and love) ?

Peter,

Assuming that is York, UK, not NY NY, then the answer is still no, sadly.

There is a Jessops, but I don't think they do S/H anymore - I missed 2 bargains on the day they sold off thier stock - a Nikon F3HP for £85 and a Summicron M 50mm f2 at £155 < grr, mumble, moan, gripe>

there is also Cathedral Cameras, but their s/h stock is normally expensive and on comission, so not easy to get a bargain, but you never know!

If you are there on a Wednesday, it would be worth checking the market, as Simon Chesterman (Collectable Cameras) normally has a stall near the fountain. Now he does carry the sort of stuff we like to look at, plus you can haggle with him too :D. Alternatively, you could make an appointment and drive out to see him if Wednesday is not an option - he has a huge showroom attached to his house.

Don't forget to visit the Railway Museum (free) and the king's Arms, to see how high the floods have been in the bar!

TTFN

Last edited:
York Camera Mart has nothing of interest.
I go up every now and then to visit my other half who studies there, and they have nothing.
I may have to look out for Cathedral Cameras next time I'm up,
and the market on a Wednesday (if I'm ever there on a Wednesday).

:D York, Yorkshire, UK.

Won't be there on a Wednesday sadly, so will miss the market, but will be taking my camera bag :)

John Neal, thanks for the tip on the railway museum and the King's Arms, I'll certainly have a look (and a pint too) :D

Peter, a few weeks ago I had to be dragged away from York Camera,-before harming the pension any more!! - a lovely unused, ltd. edition Ziess Ikon with 50mm, lay in the window, with a tag of around £800, (commission sale)....but apart from a few lenses, not much else of interest, and no other shops! :(

Cheers, Dave

john neal said:
If you are there on a Wednesday, it would be worth checking the market, as Simon Chesterman (Collectable Cameras) normally has a stall near the fountain. Now he does carry the sort of stuff we like to look at, plus you can haggle with him too :D. Alternatively, you could make an appointment and drive out to see him if Wednesday is not an option - he has a huge showroom attached to his house.

I also recommend a visit to Simons stall if you get the chance, he has a load of stuff you can pick up & play with !!

It`s also worth having a drool over his website :D

http://www.collectablecameras.com/

Ken.

Back