Another Sigma DP-1 Review: Shutterbug

bmattock

Mentor
Local time
8:03 PM
http://www.shutterbug.com/equipmentreviews/compact_digicams/052908sigma/index.html

Sigma DP1; A Compact “Full Spec” Camera

George Schaub, May, 2008

A funny thing happened to me while I was shooting and reviewing the new Sigma DP1 compact camera in New Mexico. I had taken a lunch break in a local taqueria and in came a couple that sat down at the next table. Next to the guy’s backpack and hat he set down the Sigma DP1. I did a double take, and asked him how he liked it. “Great,” he said, “the picture quality is terrific, although it does make you think.”

Click the link to read the rest.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].......Because the lens is fixed focal length there is no vignetting problem......[/FONT]

You can learn a lot from the article

Not half as puzzled as I am, and I've been writing for 'em for 20 years. My wife's response is the same: this is a very strange comment. She's been writing for them since '92.

Cheers,

Roger

It's "Bob Shell Derangement Syndrome". The man is no longer the editor. I don't hold his it against those who work there for the sins of a former editor.

Dear Al,

Bob photographed young women (very rarely under 18, because of US law -- the paedophilia charge is nonsense). Although Bob is a dear friend, I have to admit that I preferred almost all his other pictures to his nudes (and, far more usually, semi-nudes).

Besides which, there were really very few of Bob's nude pics in the magazine. Anyone who was offended by them would have had to WANT to be offended, and to look quite hard to find enough pics to be offended by them.

Infinitely more 'sexualized' pictures of young women are to be found in almost any European magazine; and besides, as my wife pointed out, how do you 'sexualize' a picture of a young woman? Some men will see everything as 'sexualized'; some won't. What she saw was pictures that neither of us can readily imagine as turning anyone on.

Cheers,

R.

Dear Al,

Bob photographed young women (very rarely under 18, because of US law -- the paedophilia charge is nonsense). Although Bob is a dear friend, I have to admit that I preferred almost all his other pictures to his nudes (and, far more usually, semi-nudes).

Besides which, there were really very few of Bob's nude pics in the magazine. Anyone who was offended by them would have had to WANT to be offended, and to look quite hard to find enough pics to be offended by them.

Infinitely more 'sexualized' pictures of young women are to be found in almost any European magazine; and besides, as my wife pointed out, how do you 'sexualize' a picture of a young woman? Some men will see everything as 'sexualized'; some won't. What she saw was pictures that neither of us can readily imagine as turning anyone on.

Cheers,

R.

Well, some Europeans think we in the US are prudes. And they may be right, in some cases. Bob posted a lot of his more adult stuff on CompuServe years ago, and some were good, some not so good. I agree the stuff in "Shutterbug" was tame compared to his other work and what one might find in European advertisements, but such is life that we all don't agree on this.

I still subscribe to "Shutterbug", as the better European mags cost too much to subscribe to, but I do buy a few European mags from time to time if they have a review I want to read. Borders isn't the library...

;)

What happened to the comments on the Sigma camera? To hell w/ Shutterbug (good magazine. I read it whenever I can get it for free), let's see some pics from/reviews of the camera.

Back