Another question about travel kit

caila77

Well-known
Local time
5:21 PM
I'm going to go to Wien for 5 days and, for another time in my life, I have to decide which camer kit I have to use.
Generally I prefer medium format (6x6) for fil format and for high quality (hasselblad) but I'll walk a lot so, the hasselblad kit is out of game .
I have some slr camera:
nikon f801s - very nice camera but I have only a 35/70 zoom, I think that for my photos Af is not necessairly
nikon FE with a lot of lens (20 3.5 UD, 24 2.8, 35 2, 52 2 HC...) generally I prefer this one for my travel because I have a complete set of lenses.
This time I'd like tu carry with me a small, mechanical rangefinder camera for some reason (compact is the first) with 50 1.8 and 35/2.
What obout you?
Wich is your favourite traveller kit? why?

Ah! Leica M6 TTl and tri-Elmar plus 90/2.8. Smallest/lightest with maximum flexibility; Alternatively: Leica Digilux2. Still smaller/lighter, same versatility.But somehow I always take my M3/Summaron 35 loaded with B/W film with me on both kits-can't say why....

Last edited:
I was in Istanbul for 8 days last week - I carried a Leica M6 and Bessa R2 with 21, 35, 50 and 90mm lenses. I only had 3 of the lenses with me at any time.

I used the 21 the most, with the 35 and 50 being the other main lenses. The 90 was only used for a handful of shots. A lot of the time I'd have the 21mm mounted with either the 35 or 50 in a jacket pocket. I had ISO 400 film in the R2 and 1600 film in the M6.

What I'd like is the convenience of changing ISO without having to carry 2 bodies, but I don't want the bulk of the SLR body and lenses.

For cities in Eurpoe I would take an M body, a wide to very wide lens and a short tele photo, 400 speed print film and maybe ND filters to allow wider aperatures in bright daylight. That is for a minimal kit. Lens choice is personal so only you know what you like. If I took three lenses it would be a 21/35/90 combo. Funny thing is that this combo is very similar to my SLR travel kit. Great city, Wein, have fun.

Bob

I've just returned from three days and four evenings of walking and taxi-ing all over Manhattan, New York City. Had a Leica CL with 40mm Summicron loaded with Neopan 1600 on wrist strap; backup 1st-generation Olympus Stylus with Neopan 400 was in my packsack. Miniature tripod/window clamp and 25' bulb release completed the list.

The Leica was usually in my hand, and I never really got tired of carrying it. Also, nobody ever stared at it. (It's black, and it's small.) If I had to go back tomorrow, I'd take the exact same kit, but I'd add a 50mm lens- the 40mm made me walk up too close to some street subjects. Sometimes, I wanted to stand back a bit.

After several trips, I have settled on a Bessa L with a 21mm, and another M body with a 35 or 40 and a 90. The 90 is the least used with the 35,40 and 21 split 60/40. I 'm finding the 40 a good compromise between the 35 and 50.

Eric

Back