America's Black Holocaust Museum - Milwaukee

navilluspm

Well-known
Local time
6:14 PM
Hi all,

Today I went photographing in museums to test HP5+ at 1600 souped in Microphen. I just developed the negatives, and they look great, but they are still drying,

Anyway, on my museum tour I went to the Black Holocaust Museum here in Milwaukee. If you go to this museum, which I think is worth the $5 for the history, don't expect it to be big and filled with artifacts or propaganda against white people. Instead you will see photographs and written history. A lot has to do with the civil rights movement. There is a display of slave life housing. The is a really disturbing section on lynching in America - and the photographs are moving to say the least.

The museum was founded by Dr. James Cameron, who survived a lynching for a crime he did not commit. There is a movie about him there.

Anyway, don't expect a lot of high class art - it's not the Gugenheim - but if you want to see a hidden aspect of America history brought to the light through photography, I would recommend going to this museum.

I will try to post some photo's later on, but I will be moving to Canada on April 8th, so I probably won't get to scanning them until after my move.

Here is the link: http://www.blackholocaustmuseum.org/

Last edited:
Back