airline travel with film

thawkins

Well-known
Local time
3:16 PM
We have a family trip to Colorado in August. I plan to take a vintage SLR and two vintage Range Finder cameras. I haven't traveled on the airlines with a camera in many years. What is the drill for carring film and camera equipment through the security scanners now. I am takiing a numberf of rolls of color and B&W print film on the trip. Any tip will be appreciated.

Thawkins

I ask for hand-inspection, and usually get it. But unless you have super speed film, and pass it theough multiple x-ray machines, you should have no problems.

Make sure your camera(s) are empty of film. Get all of your film together and take out of canisters. Put all the film cassettes in one clear plastic bag and all the canisters & lids into another. When you get to the security gate at the airport ask politely for a hand inspection of film. The TSA is being good about hand inspections so you should have no problem. Produce your two separate clear plastic bags for inspection. You may be asked to fire your camera(s). When you shoot, do not point the camera at anyone. That should take care of it. It is not a big deal these days.

Just came through Logan (Boston) and Oakland CA airports. I got a hand inspection of the small amount of film I carried on without so much as a blink of an eye in Boston. Oakland told me it would be about twenty minutes because they were 'backed up' (eat more fiber guy). He asked what speed it was, and when I said '50' he said it would be fine. "1600 and over we won;t run through the machine" he said. I had only three rolls of Pan-F with me, unexposed, and just sent them through. I've marked them, so will see if there is any change.

I Fed-Ex'ed my raw films to my sister in Oakland, and then sent it all back the same way. Fed-Ex is great about carrying sensitized products- they had several big neon green stickers on the package that said to keep away from radioactive materials. You might check with the place you're going about a Fed-Ex location nearby.

DO NOT PUT FILM IN CHECKED BAGGAGE it will be fully exposed. I have at least one student every year who puts films in the suitcase and develops a roll of maximum density. Signs at the Oakland airport warned against film in checked bags. I have many students who travel during breaks and rarely see any fog on films. Sometimes 400 speed films run through four or more times will have a little fog, but sometimes not- I guess the machines vary in intensity.

In the USA, asking for and getting hand inspection is easy. I always throw in a role of ISO 3200 speed film (a throwaway roll) in case an inspector wants to argue. Overseas is another matter. Take lead bags if outside the US. And prepare for arguments.

I can't get hand inspection at Laguardia so I use a lead foil bag which seems to be OK. Just in case I take a digicam.
Kurt M.

Since you are traveling to Colorado buy the film when you get there. It is the safest. I have carried film in lead lined bags. The xray technician pulled me aside and explained that the xray bags do not work. He even demonstrated it to me. However, over the past several years one of them also explained that they use a different type than was originally available and it will not affect the film up to asa 1600. Before you leave Colorado you could mail the film to your photolab guy if pre-arranged. Also, you could get the film developed without prints at some places in an hour. But my experience has been don't worry about xray machines.

Thanks for the advice. I'll be traveling with multiple rolls of Fuji Reala and Tri-X. I will attempt the hand-scanned procedure and see what happens. The airport is DFW. Anyone had experiences with film at this airport?

Thawkins

Just had a bunch through the scanner, 200 and 400, no issues at all. I usually get hand inspection but it really isn't an issue.

Just came back from Europe on a 2 weeker. Film got buzzed maybe 10 times (multiple countries + connecting flights). Every place you go has a scanner....airlines, trains, and popular tourist sites like churches and museums.

I had ISO 100 and 400 film which seemed to turn out OK.

You might want to mention to the TSI guy that the film you have has been through a few X-ray machines since you bought it and that you're very concerned as they are "very important research or family photos"...
Please and Thank you's are in order too...

I have had 400 ASA go through several X-ray machines without problems...

thawkins said:
What is the drill for carring film and camera equipment through the security scanners now. I am takiing a numberf of rolls of color and B&W print film on the trip. Any tip will be appreciated.

The drill, mine anyway, goes like this, and last performed this morning very early:

1. Have everything all ready and convenient for them to do a hand inspection. No film in the cameras, all rolls out of those little canisters, in a plastic baggie, all ready for them to grab and take over to the nasty stuff detector machine.

2. Hold up the baggie when you are about to go thru the line, "may I have a hand inspection on this, please?"

That's it. 9 times out of 8 they will just take the baggie, inspect it, and it catches up with you when you are inside the checkpoint and getting dressed again.

Sometimes they quiz you about film speed and such. Asking them to please hand-inspect for the second times almost always works in this case.

I did have one inspector balk, not refuse, but he didn't want to do it. I was assertive, but polite. It turned out that he apparently didn't know how to hand inspect, and a supervisor intervened and inspected it.

I think what makes the difference is to have everything ready and convenient for them to do a hand inspection.

Back