6 Bit encoding non-Leica lenses

boojum

Mentor
Local time
6:04 PM
Can non-Leica lenses be accurately encoded for Leica cameras? I have had some weird results with flange 6 bit encoded lenses giving me dark, moody and interesting results. But I know they are not accurate results. I have encoded non-Leica lenses manually through the camera menu and have used the flanges and flat black and flat white paint pens to mark the grooves on the flange.

I just shot a series of three photos with my M9 and the Amotal, uncoded and coded, for each of the 50mm f/2.0 lenses the M9 menu offers. No great difference in the little "seat of the pants" effort. So need I bother with the Amotal and the Jupiter-8 at all? Has anyone done testing on this and assembled a list of what settings work best on non-Leica lenses? Can non-Leica lenses mate well with Leica firmware?

Write your answers on the back of hundred dollar bills and mail them to me. LMAO Any actual answers would be welcome, even without the hundreds.

Thanks

In fact, all of my lenses are 6-bit coded - most are after-market. Don Goldberg ("DAG") has two sources for 6-bit coding flanges. Cost is around $100 per flange with shipping.

I've found - but not often - that the "obvious" 6-bit code isn't always the one that works the best on an after-market lens. For example, the Zeiss 25mm Biogon ZM coded as an Elmarit f/2.8 Asph. produces terrible cyan shift around the edges; coded as an Elmar f/3.8 Asph. eliminates this color shift almost completely, so you may have to experiment a bit.

In fact, all of my lenses are 6-bit coded - most are after-market. Don Goldberg ("DAG") has two sources for 6-bit coding flanges. Cost is around $100 per flange with shipping.

I've found - but not often - that the "obvious" 6-bit code isn't always the one that works the best on an after-market lens. For example, the Zeiss 25mm Biogon ZM coded as an Elmarit f/2.8 Asph. produces terrible cyan shift around the edges; coded as an Elmar f/3.8 Asph. eliminates this color shift almost completely, so you may have to experiment a bit.

I think I said I have the eBay LTM > M flanges with the little scoops for paint and code them. I agree that the closest lens on the basis of focal length and f-stop do not always work. So it is a crap shoot, I can go through the indicated lenses on the camera, an M9, or try painted flanges from my stock until I find one which works. I was just hoping that some propeller-head had worked out a translation table for those of us who have not.

"I never said most of the things I said." Yogi Berra

I think I said I have the eBay LTM > M flanges with the little scoops for paint and code them. I agree that the closest lens on the basis of focal length and f-stop do not always work. So it is a crap shoot, I can go through the indicated lenses on the camera, an M9, or try painted flanges from my stock until I find one which works. I was just hoping that some propeller-head had worked out a translation table for those of us who have not.

"I never said most of the things I said." Yogi Berra

This site has coding recommendations for the more common 3rd party brands.

Are the DAG 6-bit flanges genuine Leica part? That’s interesting. I have a lens I want coded but Leica is pricey. I know DAG had at one time sent out uncoded flanges to a machinist for the notches.

Are the DAG 6-bit flanges genuine Leica part? That’s interesting. I have a lens I want coded but Leica is pricey. I know DAG had at one time sent out uncoded flanges to a machinist for the notches.
You send Don the lens (or just the flange) and he sends it out for milling.

I have the lens codes to encode Leica lenses. No problem there. It is a translation to non-Leica lenses that I would like to find if anyone has done them. OTOH I am doing alright with no coding so I wonder how much of an improvement I will see. I'd like to find out.

I have the lens codes to encode Leica lenses. No problem there. It is a translation to non-Leica lenses that I would like to find if anyone has done them. OTOH I am doing alright with no coding so I wonder how much of an improvement I will see. I'd like to find out.
You'll find 6-coding affects wide-angle lenses the most (color saturation and distortion). For the most part (there are some exceptions), 50mm lenses and longer are affected the least. However, personally I like to see some lens info in my EXIF data.

You'll find 6-coding affects wide-angle lenses the most (color saturation and distortion). For the most part (there are some exceptions), 50mm lenses and longer are affected the least. However, personally I like to see some lens info in my EXIF data.

Likewise. But why bother if it is wrong? If it is just for the focal length I can agree. I try to remember the lens used but I am getting to where I need to look at my driver's license to remember my name. ;o) And I usually use a 50 and have a few so focal length is interesting but not always enough info. These are the prices we pay for not dying young.

Back