23mm on X100T or 23/1.4

It wouldn't surprise me if they eventually produced a 23/2 WR, as they are doing the same thing with the 35/2.

@Rogue: "I wish they made the 23/2 that's on the X100T for their interchangeable lens cameras."

I wish they'd do that, too, but they' never will because it would cut into sales of the X100 series.

Vae mihi, subscriptionem tuam legere scio.

This is not practical. The X100/S/T lenses are designed specifically for the unique color-filter array/micro-lens assembly used in those bodies. The distance between the X100 lenses and the sensor is atypically short.

This is not practical. The X100/S/T lenses are designed specifically for the unique color-filter array/micro-lens assembly used in those bodies. The distance between the X100 lenses and the sensor is atypically short.

Obviously I don't need it to be precisely the same lens. Just a compact 23/2 would be appreciated - to give us a "normal wide" 35mm FOV equivalent that isn't enormous.

Update

Update

Today a large box of Fujifilm gear goes off to KEH (X-Pro1, 35/1.4 XF, 23/1.4 XF, XT-1 body).

For the moment I am down to one X-T1 body, along with 14/2.8, 18/2, 27/2.8, 56/1.2 and the 10-24/4/ Fujinons.

Yesterday I preordered the 35/2 R XF and will order a chrome X100T when the rebate program begins.

Is selling to keh a smart thing? They need to resell at a profit, so you get less.

IMO it's just less of a hassle than selling on a forum, eBay, Craigslist, Kiijiji, etc. I will be thinning herd and would love to sell by the lot.

Is selling to keh a smart thing? They need to resell at a profit, so you get less.

You are correct.

So in my case keep-it-simple-stupid applies. I sacrifice maximizing price for the sake of convenience.

KEH visits my city three or four times a year. I have sold a fair amount of gear to them in person. They have treated me fairly.

As far as I'm concerned KEH earns their profit. I shipped a 18 X18 X18" box full of stuff using a KEH shipping label at no cost.

I have had more camera sales with some hassle compared to smooth transactions. Where I live there were two Craigslist related murders in the past 12 months. As you know auction site fees and policies that impact sellers have become less favorable. I would split PayPal fees with buyers, which is also a cost. I refuse to ship uninsured which means the higher shipping costs and the buyer has to sign. Some of the gear was bought by a LLC I'm shutting down. So the some of the sale-price difference will be offset by a reduction in "capital depreciation recapture" at income tax time.

I am simply lucky the cost of convenience does not impede my photographic goals.

The x100's 23mm is like a classic lens. It has it's own little aberrations unique to it, and generally everyone that uses it loves it. The x100 itself is a beautiful camera to use. The 23mm f1.4 is much more like a canon/nikon 35mm f1.4 in use - more 'perfect' in character. Personally I think it's a better lens than either the canon or nikon equivalents, and the clutch manual focus mechanism is just sublime (much nicer than the olympus clutch MF mechanism which almost always has lateral slop in the actual movement).

Honestly, as I'm a 35mm guy, I'd have both. The x100 is just so good at what it does. However, get the 23mm f1.4 if you want 35 you can shoot wide open at f1.4 all day reliably.

Very true. The x100 lens has a particular character. While the 23 1.4 is supremely perfect technically. the 1.4 doesn't even have a lens correction profile, it's so well corrected. it's also sharper both wide open and at f2 vs the x100 lens

Fine.

But it is not redundant. Ordering an item is not formally released for sale is not the same as ordering an item that is for sale. The item was ordered prior to the formal release date.

I'm well aware of the usage of the term but it still bugs me. : )

Use of the prefix 'pre' would indicate 'before order' or 'in advance of order' which doesn't make sense in context (i.e., 'prepay' = 'pay in advance'; 'prewar' = 'before the war'.)

Praps it's an order for a prerelease product. ;)

Back