X2D Photos

I was wandering around Seaside, OR today. Had a fine lunch of eggplant and deep fried tofu in garlic sauce. OK, not everyone's fave, and walked out to watch the goings on in and around the merry-go-round. Young moms and their kids. Here is a young lady and her two cowboys, 1 and 3. Yes, she was busy but she was also devoted.

B0000816rff.JPG

Wandering through the Alderbrook section of Astoria (OR) I ran across this ready to move-in fixer-upper. X2D, ISO 200, F/4.0 with the XCD 55V lens.

B0000887rff.JPG

The Glovis Arrow, a Ro-Ro ship (Roll on Roll off car carrier) The dark boat in the foreground carries the river pilot, the yellow boat astern the Glovis Arrow is to retrieve the Bar pilot. Once the river pilot is aboard the Bar pilot will be retrieved. IIRC maritime insurance carriers require pilots for coverage to be active. I caught the light right on this one. The bridge is the Astora - Megler Bridge.

B0000862rff.JPG

Walking around the mooring basin here in Astoria this evening freeing electrons from bondage. Out of what I shot here are the two most acceptable.

B0001264exp2.JPG

B0001267exp2.JPG

Out wandering with the X2D + Bertele. I really like the sensor and color science of the X2D. It may well be the best I have. Perhaps a test head to head with the M9. Anyway, tonight I was poking around the mooring basin, again, in the drydock. I like this hull. I like how the Bertele works with the X2D. F/5.6. Reduced in GIMP, not changed otherwise.

B0001313rff.JPG

Made a trip to Nevada with hopes of photographing the desert from US 50 where it crosses the state. Unfortunately the shoulders are about 3 feet wide, OK for the motorcycle in '82 but not the car in '23. So I got few photos, and the desert is harder to get close than I imagined. But here is a desert plant out by the Naval Air Training range just east of Fallon. Reduced in GIMP.

X2D with XCD 55V

B0001410rff.JPG

Head shot of my old friend, Tony, whom I was visiting on my way back home from a swing through SoCal. We were on our way out to dinner and a BS session with a friend. SOOC

B0001456rff.JPG

It's just past a year of banging around with this camera. I have my highest batting average with it. The combination of excellent color science, a really good lens and excellent 5 axis, 7 f-stop IBIS I have a good chance of getting something. Wandering around the harbor tonight on the way back from a meeting I ran across this lighted building and took a shot, parked in the stop area island at the intersection with my flashers blinking. Anything for art. ;o)

B0001463rff.JPG

The Acer Palmatum in my front yard has gotten its fall red, more bright and vibrant than its usual red. This is the best of a few I took. I'll try again tomorrow if we have sunshine.

B0001486rff.JPG

I meander around the waterfront here in town. It is not as romantic or exciting as a noire detective story but it is colorful and well lighted at night. The drydock is not so well lighted but the camera makes up for that. These are some boats in the drydock. The lens is the XCD 120 3.5 macro. SOOC, reduced in size by GIMP and exported.

B0001609rff.JPG

Crab season soon. It is opening later every year. It cannot open until Fisheries certifies the crabs have filled out a certain percentage of their shells with flesh. It takes longer because there is less to eat. There is less to eat because, . . . The crab is Dungeness, a fine eating crab although there are those close to the Chesapeake who might contest that. Crab had been a holiday treat eaten for Christmas and New Years. No more. The season opens 1 February this year. It has changed that much in the last ten years or so. But, here are the photos of two different crabbers.

B0001684rff.JPG

B0001694rff.JPG

Good work with the X2D!

Why in the world would you post that first picture as an example of this camera? It is out of focus and not sharp due to camera movement. Embarrassing!

I'm kinda baffled as to why that photo looked so soft. I looked at it on Flickr and it's sharp as anyone would wish for. Maybe RFF software had a hiccup during the transmission.

Glad you're enjoying the camera. Photos look great.

Good work with the X2D!

I'm kinda baffled as to why that photo looked so soft. I looked at it on Flickr and it's sharp as anyone would wish for. Maybe RFF software had a hiccup during the transmission.

Glad you're enjoying the camera. Photos look great.

The images, even as JPEG, are very large and have to be reduced in size to post here. I reduce the, scale them, in GIMP, and then upload them to RFF.. Each of these images are larger than 60meg SOOC. When I view the original alongside the GIMP scaled image on my computer there is no immediately perceptible difference. I have to assume it is RFF. Assume. I will be uploading these images shortly to Flickr and make them public so you will be able to see that they are not degraded there. I think it might be wise to always include a Flickr link in the future.

This also explains the difference of opinion on the sharpness of the image that fueled the past discussion.

I just reread the post above. I had promised a link so here it is: X2D XCD55V 2024 Remember that Flickr takes a few seconds to snap into focus when you zoom in. What I find interesting about the images from the XCD 55V is that they do not look that sharp until you zoom in and see the level of detail. I have no idea how this is done, of course. It does eliminate the eye-bleeding effect that some super sharp lenses have. These photos have a softness to them regardless of being quite sharp. And the HB color science is as good as any I have seen.

Maybe I can do an M9 - X2D comparison test. I have a 40mm CV which is close to the XCD 55V's effective 43mm focal length. But I would like to try it with the Bertele Sonnar and the Cooke Amotal. And then I have that very nice CV 35mm f/1.7 which is surprisingly better than I had assumed. It seems to have a magic of its own. Check this link to see it on an M240: M240 2024 A very sweet lens that fell into my lap. I was very lucky with that one. I never would have picked it as a good lens. Fortunately there are folks on this board who know heaps more than I.

Last edited:
Back