X2D Photos

boojum

Mentor
Local time
8:55 PM
Got this on Halloween, fittingly. I have been playing with it since. It is a wonderful camera. It will run from full auto to full manual. Images at ISO 25600 are amazingly sharp. The color is great. It functions easily and is natural to use. The menu system is simple enough that I can understand it, well, most of it. And you know the back-of-napkin specs: 16 bit color, 15 stops of dynamic range, seven stops of stabilization. I have not marched for miles with it but the weight is not a problem. It falls well to the hand and is a joy to use.

Is it worth the money? It is to me. As usual, YMMV.

I am posting a few pics with links to them in Flickr so that the full 75 - 100MB image can be seen. Cheers.

The first image looks out of focus. The second image looks sharp and well exposed. The third image has a lot of "glow" with the lights on the shack. Did you use one of those diffusion filters you bought on this image? The face in the fourth image looks pretty sharp, but not razor sharp. Exposure is okay. The fifth image looks underexposed, but that may be your preference for the image.

The first image looks out of focus. The second image looks sharp and well exposed. The third image has a lot of "glow" with the lights on the shack. Did you use one of those diffusion filters you bought on this image? The fourth image looks pretty sharp, but not razor sharp, and exposure is okay. The fifth image looks underexposed, but that may be your preference for the image.

Get your eyes checked.

Why in the world would you post that first picture as an example of this camera? It is out of focus and not sharp due to camera movement. Embarrassing!

It is the second shot with the camera. I guess I got this one wrong. Do you need an apology? I am not in the least embarrassed but will accept yours in stead of mine.

I do not believe the problem to be camera movement as there is a quite sharp spider web on the left jaw fang. It is shot wide-open, f/2.5, as the ISO is 64, and very close. So the depth of field is very shallow as is with medium format cameras especially up close. As with so many, many things in this life there is a learning curve.

But thanks for the comments anyway.

Why in the world would you post that first picture as an example of this camera? It is out of focus and not sharp due to camera movement. Embarrassing!

Did you checked the EXIF? It is one sec exposure, hand held for sure.

The question is - does the sensor suffers like FujiFilm dMF does for moiré?

I am looking at the image on my computer and when enlarged a great deal that little spider web strand is sharp not smeared. Were there a motion problem it would be smeared. I just downloaded the image from Flickr and find the result the same as the image I uploaded: the spider web is not smeared. But this is really sort of pecksniffian. But have at it. Green can be flattering.

It is kinda obvious to be not OOF, but motion blur.
Could be both. Let's just say it is fuzzy.

Ansel Adams famously once said: "There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept." I think he was wrong. In my mind, there is nothing worse than a fuzzy image of a fuzzy concept. If you have a sharp image of a fuzzy concept, at least you know how to use your camera properly.

Hasselblad introduced an "eco-friendly" camera strap for the X2D and a couple of other models for a "not-wallet-friendly" price of $299. $299 for a strap? It comes in subtle shades of cream and international orange. Also introduced were CPL, ND and UV filters at prices that would make even Leica fans spit out their coffee.

https://petapixel.com/2022/12/08/has...-camera-strap/

Yeah I saw that strap too on Hasselblad’s FB page. Beautiful strap, but then I checked the price and uh, um, no thanks.

Actually if you want an interesting selection of straps, Etsy has some neat offerings. My personal faves are from Couch Guitar Straps out of California.

Yeah I saw that strap too on Hasselblad’s FB page. Beautiful strap, but then I checked the price and uh, um, no thanks.

Actually if you want an interesting selection of straps, Etsy has some neat offerings. My personal faves are from Couch Guitar Straps out of California.

Cute......

2c...The 100mb pixel peeping files are fantastic insofar that one is doing pp to take advantage of that extra data to use for such things as highlight/ shadow recovery, and or enlarging. Beside not getting the exposure right the first time it's just bloated storage space for the end user...YMMV
It's a system one is buying into. That's means the ridiculously priced lens to take advantage of the resolution. Otherwise using legacy glass is just magnifying the inherent imperfections

Reminds me of Leica m11 lol.

Anyway awesome nice looking clean images btw!

^ Ahoy there Boojum! It looks like you and the X2D are getting along just fine with each other. That's a nice set of photographs you've just posted. I hope you'll be sharing more with us.

All the best,
Mike

^ Ahoy there Boojum! It looks like you and the X2D are getting along just fine with each other. That's a nice set of photographs you've just posted. I hope you'll be sharing more with us.

All the best,
Mike
Thanks. It is all timing. Getting there when the light is good. And the camera, the camera is a honey. I no longer regret selling the wife and children into bondage in order to buy the camera. I hope they understand.

We are a fishing community. This is the harbor in Warrenton, OR, and the boats are quit likely shrimpers but I am not sure. They damned sure fish. The lamps at the top of the masts are sodium vapor and cast an orange light, bright as anything. They can be seen as they cross the Columbia Bar and all the way in to the fish processors in the Astoria West Mooring Basin, floating bright orange lights, especially delightful when it is foggy.

B0000676rff.JPG

Down at the RR restoration shed again. Women like shiny little stones, guys like shiny big mechanical parts. This one is part of the drive line on the locomotive.

B0000767rff.JPG

Back