thoughts on the fuji x100V?

I’ve owned an X100 series camera since they first came out. Started with the 100, then the S and now the V.

My first impression is that they’ve gotten progressively more complex over the years and needed dumbing down via the settings. I use the camera as I would a Leica M. Single focus using the central point and recompose. The camera is light enough to carry everywhere and I usually do. Before the Fuji my daily carry camera was usually an M or Barnack with 35mm focal length.

One thing the camera needs in my estimation is a good thumb rest that protects the exposure compensation knob from inadvertent changes. Had thumb rests by Lensmate on the previous cameras which worked very well, better grip and protected the dial. Have got to order one for the V.

In 2012 I revisited a number of places in India where I’d traveled in early seventies. Used one of a pair of M4’s I’d taken in 1970 and the X100 for backup. Had thought of getting an M9 to keep the M4 company, but glad I chose the Fuji. For street grab shots it was superb and complemented the Leica. If you’re carrying baggage in one hand there’s no way to manually focus a Leica. Guess that’s why I enjoy the 21mm SA, enough DOF to cover less than perfect focus on the street. The leaf shutter is extremely quiet, more so than any Leica I’ve owned.

I believe the V is also the best of the series for weather sealing, but you have to keep a filter on the lens. I tend to use a good quality UV filter instead of a lens cap. No wasted time pulling it off to get a decisive moment.

I was about to buy new a month ago but fortunately found a used camera almost new for $1700 Canadian. That was with lens hood , two extra batteries with charger. The owner decided to concentrate on video.

Glenn

I could not agree with all the points above more! I had the original then waited until the x100F to upgrade, the Fuji is only digital Ive ever owned, use for street which also compliments my M5/M6 35 Cron/50 Rigid Cron, thus a simple do more with less Zen approach to photography and while the flip down rear electronic screen can come in handy occasional I can not give up the D pad to which I have customized for quick access, I too use the X100F as simply as possible and customized all buttons for easy access to Meter, etc. can't say enough about the Fuji x100 camera line. I have the original Tele Conversion lens that I use occasional- last I have a perfection of imperfection philosophy thus never stressed about over thinking sharpness/pixel peeping....... if that meets your personal style. I would enjoy a MF Fuji someday if affordable for more of a street portrait project..... Happy Sunday and stay safe out there.....

But now that I read so much about the X100 I'm wondering if it wasn't me the one who was wrong for that little camera... Oh, well, good luck deciding, joe! :)

It was not you.

The original X100 had a very slow camera CPU and used AF algorithms from FUJIFILM's point and shoot cameras. The lens AF motor technology was also minimalistic. Some people always used the Power Save Menu option which made AF even worse.

The result was an AF system that was tricky to use. I adapted by using the AF manually - similar to the D200/300/700 AF button focus.

Staring with the X100T, the focusing experience improved greatly. Besides the OVF electronic rangefinder and real-time parallax correction, the AF system is much improved. However, there is a learning curve to set up a focusing system that works for you. The bad news is the there are many AF Menu options and settings to understand. The OVF and EVF modes are slightly different, so there are almost two AF systems to learn. The good news is the system is flexible and it is possible to set the camera up to suit your personal preferences. I almost always use the OVF mode, manual AF in MF mode and the electronic RF with red focus peaking.

There are several free X-100T S V AF user guides on-line. FUJIFILM's X100 web site is a good place to start.

Newer versions (F and V) have slightly better AF performance.

Does anyone use the corrected-AF rectangle feature when using the OVF?

I can see how it's useful within 10 feet - without it, many times the object I thought was focused on was in fact not focused on, but rather something nearby.

Even so, I don't like the clutter of that extra rectangle in the center of the OVF.

So my decision is to disable the feature and be aware of parallax and, if focus is close or critical, use the EVF instead in those situations.

I've owned all generations of the X100 and have to say the X100F is the one to get for value, AF and IQ.
The X100V is better but IMO not worth the full price unless you like the X100 series.

I use the camera like I would any camera with a 28mm or 35mm focal length, however the benefit of this camera is the size and weight as I can easily walk for hours with it.
It is lighter than the X-T2 + XF 18mm f2 that I've used in the past but will probably about the same as X-E3 + XF 18mm f2.

I'd choose the X100V over any previous model simply because of the reduced button clutter on the back and that the existing buttons are flush.

My biggest complaint with my X-Pro1 is that, even after 8 years, I'm still inadvertently pressing buttons at the most critical moment of composing a photo. It's aggravating.

I used to have an X100S. Viewfinder is bigger and brighter than the X-Pro1 and X-Pro2. The X-Pro3 and X100V share the same 0.52x viewfinder, but I haven’t gotten to try either of them in person. Compared with the X-Pro1, the size:weight ratio of the X100S feels more solid despite being smaller, and the X100F feels more solid still. The leaf shutter of the X100 series is all but inaudible to your subjects. The autofocus was slow and had a tendency to backfocus. I sold my X100S because my X-Pro1 and 35mm 1.4 autofocuses faster. However, I was very impressed by the autofocus improvements of the X100T when I tried it, and the X100F even more so. The X100 cameras are good for everyday carry, but I don’t get along with the 35mm focal length or its equivalents. Its coverage keeps making me want to use it for wide-angle pictures but it doesn’t suck you in like a 28 does. If I treat it as a normal focal length and take the same pictures as I do with a 50, I can manage. I generally make stronger compositions with a 50 and I almost always choose a 50 over a 35 unless I’m expecting to cover an event, in which case it’s easier to zone focus with a 35.

The short of it is that every model after the X100S is a substantial improvement. If you use a 35mm lens on a rangefinder and you get the pictures you want 90% of the time, buy it. If you enjoy using it, it is worth the money. It wasn’t for me, but I’m glad to have had the experience.

i had the original x100 and though i loved it i eventually sold it. im also looking into getting the v now. the resolution alone makes it worth the price over the F. the real question is black or silver?

the original lens has some problems with CA that i wasnt a huge fan of and im hoping its been addressed in the V

i like the 35 mm or equivalent...pretty much since i started photographing i have used a 35/75 kit...if i'm using only one lens then quite often it was a 35 so i think a 23/35 on the x100v will be fine for me.

i had the original x100 and though i loved it i eventually sold it. im also looking into getting the v now. the resolution alone makes it worth the price over the F. the real question is black or silver?

the original lens has some problems with CA that i wasnt a huge fan of and im hoping its been addressed in the V

black...with a grey lance strap.

or maybe a wrist strap

i like the 35 mm or equivalent...pretty much since i started photographing i have used a 35/75 kit...if i'm using only one lens then quite often it was a 35 so i think a 23/35 on the x100v will be fine for me.

Don’t forget that when shooting JPEG only mode the X100F and X100V have a two step “digital teleconverter” feature that crops the center to about 50 and 70mm equivalents and uprezzes the cropped image to 24MP (X100F) or 26MP (X100V). These can be combined with the WCL, which can give you a 40mm equivalent on the first step, or combined with the TCL, which gives you 70mm and 100mm equivalents. From what I've seen, the first step is pretty high quality but the second step is visibly degraded.

has the small portable camera made much difference to the way you shoot?
do you carry less gear if you always carry at least a camera every day? are you carrying less gear because the x100v is enough to meet your daily needs?
and last what are you impressions of the camera? is it worth the money you paid for it?

Depends on use case and previous camera history whether the x100 series is applicable for ones daily needs. I personally used the xpro and an adapter lens instead as there's no manual focusing for the x100 which i prefer in rangefinders. I cant 100% reliably rely on the autofocus and it slows one down when doing street photography which is my use case. Yes there are features with the x100v which makes for faster acquisition like the focus limiter, better lens etc, but imho nothing is faster than manual pre-focus and the good old hyperfocal distance scale. I know that the x100v has a distance scale, but the fly by wire focus on the x100 is not easy nor i looking at the screen constantly to check focus range. If only the x100v had a manual focus clutch with hard stops then it would be the perfect rangefinder camera imho

Don’t forget that when shooting JPEG only mode the X100F and X100V have a two step “digital teleconverter” feature that crops the center to about 50 and 70mm equivalents and uprezzes the cropped image to 24MP (X100F) or 26MP (X100V). These can be combined with the WCL, which can give you a 40mm equivalent on the first step, or combined with the TCL, which gives you 70mm and 100mm equivalents. From what I've seen, the first step is pretty high quality but the second step is visibly degraded.

i didn’t know that...

Agree with the positives mentioned above. I like it very much but have had some mildly irritating quirks with mine. The multi-function knob/stick on the back doesn’t work at start-up but starts working after a while of being on - the front wheel fills in some of it’s functionality. Focus error message is common with closer up subjects requiring a re-boot - at which point switching to manual focus is quick and works really well. The green central focus box frequently moves to the edge (I’m probably doing something to move it while shooting and can’t figure out what that may be) requiring a trip to the Menu to fix it.

I haven’t been out in the streets shooting with it as I am currently exposing film with the MP and the T2 but the 100V has done an amazing job around the house replacing all those quick shots where I used to use the iPhone. The ability to capture quality shots in any situation is remarkable - I often leave it all on auto (focus, shutter, aperture, ASA) and it performs magic with very little loss in quality even in very low light situations. Setting the lens wide open and manually focusing for effect is an efficient process. I also appreciate the ability to easily transfer images to a device using the app where the file size is also automatically and appropriately reduced.

And yes, it is a handsome piece of equipment as some have mentioned though it feels a little light in my hands compared to other cameras I use.

https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/X100/X100A4.HTM
... the real question is black or silver?

I prefer silver. Strangers do not take the silver body seriously. Occasionally people will start a discussion about film when I'm using my X100T.

...the original lens has some problems with CA that i wasnt a huge fan of and im hoping its been addressed in the V

The my X100 was a very early unit - one of the first sold in the US midwest. The lens had issues for sure. The worst was flare around bright, point-source lights at night. This artifact was aperture independent but highly angle dependent. The X100T does not have this issue. I don't think the S does either.

All X100 lenses up to the F are not designed to produce crisp close up images at apertures f4 and wider. Close ups are sharp at f 5.6 and narrower. I don't know if the V lens is different.

I saw neither axial nor transverse chromatic aberration artifacts in my X100 or X100T. I used/use Lightroom which automatically applies FUJUFILM's lens correction parameters embedded in the raw file. In-camera JPEGs are automatically rendered with on-board lens corrections as well. Imaging Resource observed "moderate" transverse CA artifacts with the original X100 at f2 in test images rendered without any lens corrections (link). Axial CA, which is typically not corrected automatically, was not observed. My Nikon lenses has tons of axial CA.

The worst was flare around bright, point-source lights at night. This artifact was aperture independent but highly angle dependent. The X100T does not have this issue. I don't think the S does either

Funny, I’ve owned them all and they all do this at F2... even the V. I was just out 2 nights ago with mine and was disappointed that it still flared so badly.

reprise...

so I turned 70 this week and decided that I had to celebrate with a new camera and yes I bought the fuji x100v...
what an absolutely lovely machine, nice feel to it, easy to use and pretty good results so far ...no art has been produced as of yet so there is nothing to post. I bought a square hood kit so now it is both gorgeous and weather resistant. and every time I glance at it from the corner of my eye it reminds me of a leica...in looks :)

reprise...

so I turned 70 this week and decided that I had to celebrate with a new camera and yes I bought the fuji x100v...
what an absolutely lovely machine, nice feel to it, easy to use and pretty good results so far ...no art has been produced as of yet so there is nothing to post. I bought a square hood kit so now it is both gorgeous and weather resistant. and every time I glance at it from the corner of my eye it reminds me of a leica...in looks :)

A very Happy Birthday to you and may you enjoy your new camera!

- Murray

I absolutely love my X100V until I spend a day with it actively shooting on the street. Then, having to use the manual focus ring for zone focusing just really kills the joy of it. Switching from 1 meter to 3 meters. Resetting back to 2 meters after using the center point autofocus for a shot or two. Ugh. The camera can do it, and it works with the digital distance scale and aperture based focus zone.

I'm considering buying an X100V for street but I've got a couple of questions which I hope you can answer for me:
  1. I presume, based on what you said, that the on-screen distance scale is actually accurate? ie: If I set it to 3m, will the lens truly be focused at 3m?
  2. Can I play back images to the EVF? (I need reading glasses and rather that put them on, I prefer to review my images through the EVF instead.)

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Back