thoughts on the fuji x100V?

back alley

IMAGES
Local time
3:25 AM
last week at my regular visit to the camera store I handled the new x100v...I was immediately impressed by the solid feel of the camera, the nice heft to it...and it got me thinking...so I have a few questions for those who have been using it for a while...
has the small portable camera made much difference to the way you shoot?
do you carry less gear if you always carry at least a camera every day? are you carrying less gear because the x100v is enough to meet your daily needs?
and last what are you impressions of the camera? is it worth the money you paid for it?

I’ve owned an X100 series camera since they first came out. Started with the 100, then the S and now the V.

My first impression is that they’ve gotten progressively more complex over the years and needed dumbing down via the settings. I use the camera as I would a Leica M. Single focus using the central point and recompose. The camera is light enough to carry everywhere and I usually do. Before the Fuji my daily carry camera was usually an M or Barnack with 35mm focal length.

One thing the camera needs in my estimation is a good thumb rest that protects the exposure compensation knob from inadvertent changes. Had thumb rests by Lensmate on the previous cameras which worked very well, better grip and protected the dial. Have got to order one for the V.

In 2012 I revisited a number of places in India where I’d traveled in early seventies. Used one of a pair of M4’s I’d taken in 1970 and the X100 for backup. Had thought of getting an M9 to keep the M4 company, but glad I chose the Fuji. For street grab shots it was superb and complemented the Leica. If you’re carrying baggage in one hand there’s no way to manually focus a Leica. Guess that’s why I enjoy the 21mm SA, enough DOF to cover less than perfect focus on the street. The leaf shutter is extremely quiet, more so than any Leica I’ve owned.

I believe the V is also the best of the series for weather sealing, but you have to keep a filter on the lens. I tend to use a good quality UV filter instead of a lens cap. No wasted time pulling it off to get a decisive moment.

I was about to buy new a month ago but fortunately found a used camera almost new for $1700 Canadian. That was with lens hood , two extra batteries with charger. The owner decided to concentrate on video.

Glenn

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to follow this, been looking at my X-t3 on the shelf not being used much because of it's size lately and thinking maybe a swap to x100v would make me take a digital camera out more. Auto focus is my main concern.

last week at my regular visit to the camera store I handled the new x100v...I was immediately impressed by the solid feel of the camera, the nice heft to it...and it got me thinking...so I have a few questions for those who have been using it for a while...

It is a beautiful camera, that is for sure.

has the small portable camera made much difference to the way you shoot?
do you carry less gear if you always carry at least a camera every day? are you carrying less gear because the x100v is enough to meet your daily needs?

No, not for me. I still prefer 50-85mm over 35mm FOV. This camera is simply used when I want to use a 35mm FOV. It isn't a pocket camera. I'm always a one camera, one lens guy for the day though... and with Fuji, there is always a way to make your other cameras small.

and last what are you impressions of the camera? is it worth the money you paid for it?

Yes, I love it and it is unique. Why wouldn't it be worth it? If you think about what you are getting... which is a premium body with an OVF/EVF combo AND a high quality lens, all for the price of a lower end Fuji (say X-T30) and an F2 lens... it is actually priced very well.

I have the original X-100 and the T. I Love both of them. I have used the V for a few weeks -a friend lend it to me, but I did not buy it. I understand that the main + of the V is a better -sharper, lens. You may decide to have a look at second-hand older models, instead. Cheers, OtL PS. It's definitely not a 'pocket camera' but it'll fit in the side pocket of a pair of cargo pants.

The Fujifilm X100V gets the job done!

But, more importantly, it looks so damn cool!

DSCF0497.JPG

Also, get the leather case, it makes all the difference in the world; it even makes your pictures look better. :D

All the best,
Mike

it looks so damn cool!
Agreed. Then again, have a look at the original X-100 in its full glory -note the red inner lining of the half-case. I believe that the black model was offered as a limited edition ;)

Red accents on black is really cool. Adds to the aesthetic.

thoughts on the fuji x100V?

When Fuji first announced the X100, I really wanted to buy one. It had just what I needed: a small rangefinder style body with a 35mm equivalent fast prime lens. However, its production release date kept getting delayed. During the delays, I decided to wait until Fuji produced a version of the X100 with interchangeable lenses.

When Fuji produced the XPro-1, I purchased it with a 23mm f/1.4 lens. Later, I purchased an X-Pro2 with a 23mm f/2 lens. If I were not so happy with my two bodies and two lenses, I would not hesitate buying the X100V.

X-Pro1 (top) & X-Pro2 (bottom) by Narsuitus, on Flickr

Yeah! Even the "V" is red! And, it comes with a wrist watch too! How cool is that.

DSC02608.JPG

*Note: the wristwatch part is a lie. :D

All the best,
Mike

I have the original X100 and the 2 accessory lenses. Does the new V accept those lenses? I have loved the X100 but have been thinking of the upgrade. Thanks

I'd agree with what was already said by Glenn2 - at some point in its evolution it definitely started to be overloaded with unneeded options and features.
This, at least in case of 100F requires significant dumbing down in config.

On the plus side - it can be done, and the camera can then be true to the orignal X100 concept of simplicity.

On the minus side - my mind boggles when I see that indicator notches and posts for manual setting knobs (even the ON/OFF switch!) are not painted to make them stand out.
They have the same color as the rest of the camera body which makes quick checking them nearly impossible, even in good light. I had to modify them as this irritated the hell out of me.

Oh, and the colors SOOC are just perfect and very natural 90% of the time.
I also like the Acros BW film simulation which allows yellow or green virtual color filters to be overlaid, and it has quite allright analog noise added which is dependant on the ISO setting that you're using - very cool thing.

Attachments

• X100Fail.JPG
    X100Fail.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 1
When Fuji first announced the X100, I really wanted to buy one. It had just what I needed: a small rangefinder style body with a 35mm equivalent fast prime lens. However, its production release date kept getting delayed. During the delays, I decided to wait until Fuji produced a version of the X100 with interchangeable lenses.

When Fuji produced the XPro-1, I purchased it with a 23mm f/1.4 lens. Later, I purchased an X-Pro2 with a 23mm f/2 lens. If I were not so happy with my two bodies and two lenses, I would not hesitate buying the X100V.

X-Pro1 (top) & X-Pro2 (bottom) by Narsuitus, on Flickr

I own and use both ... x100v for 35mm and xpro3 for everything else.

So subsequent versions of the X100 show both improvements and unnecessary complexity. Which of the five versions have the best balance between added function vs. added clutter?

Interestingly, so far no one has mentioned that the original X100 has the Bayer filter, while all the subsequent models have the X trans filter. Cheers, OtL

So subsequent versions of the X100 show both improvements and unnecessary complexity. Which of the five versions have the best balance between added function vs. added clutter?

This was exactly my consideration when I decided to buy a digital counterpart to my M4-2. Simplicity, ease of use, robustness and good image quality.

I've looked at all X100 flavors and X100F seemed to be the logical choice, with its significantly improved X-Pro image processor and X-Trans 3 sensor. It also uses the new battery NP-W126S (same as X100V). It also looks very similar to X100V with the sharply sculpted corners.

Check out wikipedia page dedicated to X100 and look at the differences between models. Almost nothing changed between F and V (at least nothing that I'd consider significant). There is the reformulated lens yeah, but it's mainly to optimize close focus and wide open imaging.

The only downsides other than interface complexity and weird english (which can be elliminated), were lack of weather sealing (V has it) and soft images when focused to MFD *and* set to widest aperture. When you shoot at MFD with aperture slightly stopped down, this problem disappears (again V has this corrected).

Haven't seen 'unnecessary complexity', not sure what that is about. These cameras are quite simple to learn and operate. That said, modern digital cameras have pathetic user interfaces. Almost nothing has improved in 20 years since the first digital SLR...it's akin to continuing to use MS-DOS on modern computer hardware. :)

The V has new optics, even though the previous was fantastic, I love rendering of the earlier models.

The lineup has undergone many improvements over the years, very pleased they have not changed the fundamental aesthetic.

Back