There is no such thing as a Gear Forum or Photography Forum at RFF!!!

rover

Staff member
Local time
5:40 AM
I want to make a comment because reading the threads about the X100 is getting very disconcerting. There are a lot of people who are very excited about this camera, and some who simply are not interested.

COMMENTS FROM BOTH GROUPS ARE WELCOME AND INVITED IN THE X100 FORUM!!!!

If you don't feel that is the case, then you have a problem, and perhaps you need to reconsider your participation at RFF. I have read too many rude, condescending, inconsiderate posts recently and quite honestly, I have no interest in letting it continue. Bullies will be dealt with the way they used to be at the playgrounds when I was growing up.

Recently, a comment was made questioning how the X100 potentially can improve one's photography. This member could use a stone tablet and chisel and still produce wonderful images. Yet it seemed OK for others to tell him he was posting in the wrong forum because the X100 Forum is a "Gear Forum" and that if he wanted to improve his photography he should do it someplace else. That is plain BS, period.

We are hear to discuss topics, photographic or gear and everything about them. The strength of our community is our diversity, and we benefit from that by hearing everyone's opinion. If you don't agree with this statement you don't belong at RFF.

Thank you.

Like the M8 the X100 has bought out the worst occasionally.

These new toys seem to polarize debates.

Like the M8 the X100 has bought out the worst occasionally.

These new toys seem to polarize debates.

My point exactly. The M8 discussions were painful without reason. I don't think there is any benefit from repeating that experience.

Good point, rover.

HOWEVER, the recent dicussions about the potential benefits of the X100 vis a vis real rangefinder cameras have brought up a lot of disruptive action in the form of posts by Leica aficionados who religiously try to block any comparison of camera concepts, trying to defend what they feel is the end-all or the only 'real' camera one could possibly think of.

These posts often came under the disguise of 'do you really need new technoilogy to shoot better pictures' while in fact they were trying to question the sound judgement of those who are interested in new products.

IMO, it is sound judgement, and should not be criticised to identify those posts as non-constructive and close to trolling.

The moderators are reading the X100 threads and will make the decisions regarding what is discussion and what is trolling. Comments and opinions from everyone, in favor of or in difference to are invited. A discussion only will become non-constructive if you refuse to discuss the topic and attack the merits of each other's opinions.

Don't worry. The camera will be released in a few weeks and this will all be over...

...For a short while, until another new camera is announced.

Last edited by a moderator:
it's the extreme judgemental behaviours that get me the most.

rff is both a gear forum and a forum for folks interested in the craft of photography. it's about time that we face that fact...we are both.
therefore we attract both gear heads and artists and some unknown entities in between.

threads that refuse to allow the peaceful co-existence of both groups will not be tolerated. simple, really.

I don't envy your responsibilities one bit at the moment :) Good luck! Deep breaths!

Thank you, but really, keep in mind that we are here to learn and to enjoy some free time just like every one else. In a lot of ways the issue is more to allow us all to get what we want from RFF rather than a issue of responsibility or that yucky term, work.

For everyone's sake let's hope the M8 saga is not repeated. It would be a shame if fundamental flaws in the X100 were denied, not mentioned or minimized in reviews, and hand-waved away as the M8's IR sensitivity initially was.

Condescending, and biased opinions are the kind of comments which show immaturity more than anything else. Rational debate, constructive comments (why wouldn't we want the most informed?) and the basic logic that at the end of the day: it is each to their own, and we wouldn't have it any other way.

it's the extreme judgemental behaviours that get me the most.

rff is both a gear forum and a forum for folks interested in the craft of photography. it's about time that we face that fact...we are both.
therefore we attract both gear heads and artists and some unknown entities in between.

threads that refuse to allow the peaceful co-existence of both groups will not be tolerated. simple, really.

Ha! "unknown entity" now that's going on my business card

Don't worry. The camera will be released in a few weeks and this will all be over...

Hmm... I don't think so... I think it will just create new heated debates... just like those DOF and sensor size debates on M4/3 talks.

Sometimes I'm just curious. Did this kind of debates happened back in... let's say... 1971 when the M5 was released?

This may be a product of the times. Our ability to communicate got better but our tolerance never improved.

"There is no such thing as a Gear Forum or Photography Forum at RFF!!!"

So true, which often is one of the things I enjoy about it but sometimes is annoying. I'm not firmly in either camp on the X100, but tend to avoid its threads for the extreme views on both sides. I like the idea of joining an "unknown entity" camp!

My sympathy and appreciation goes to the mods who don't have the ignore option that I have.

Cheers,
Rob

No value judgment there, then.

Back