The Most Beautiful Cameras Of All Time, Part 2: Manual focus 35mm SLRs

Nikon F and Olympus OM-1 beauty is more than skin deep! I've serviced both, and was impressed by how readily the former can be dismantled, and overall build quality. OM shows more signs of cost-reduction, but I marvel at the cleverness of the design: Despite it's compact size, the OM's interior isn't particularly crowded.

Thankyou OP I felt nostalgic reading the post....I miss my OM. Shame about the company and how far has it fallen from its classic days of the OM

THAT!
Is drop dead gorgeous! Thanks for posting those pictures.

Your welcome.. This model has the film cutting knife (the little knob on bottom of the camera). Crazy feature!

Roger Hicks explains it in this article: https://www.shutterbug.com/content/classic-cameras-exakta-varex-iia-adequately-complicated-classic-page-2

On the base of the camera there is a rewind knob on the right, next to it, the film cutting knife. Unscrew the small knurled knob, pull down, and a small, lethally sharp blade slices through the film just outside the feed cassette. You can then wind off the exposed film into the second cassette, or if you are using a bare take-up spool, you can remove the film in the darkroom. The screw-lock serves as a safety feature to make sure that the knife isn't actuated accidentally.https://www.shutterbug.com/content/...rex-iia-adequately-complicated-classic-page-2

0307exacta04.jpg

The XD-11 haunts me - I’ve always wanted one but my camera-repair friend echoed the warnings written here and that scared me away from them.

Heart wins over the head though: if I find one and it passes all my tests, I’m buying it.

I am trying to be a bit subversive here...

e-thesis+011.jpg

Nice camera but i liked the OMs better. I eventually sold it.

Ditto with Erik. Inovative lenses are the hallmark of the Nikon SLR system. They improved the motor with the F2,
so that it could be taken off mid-roll, also though the original "F" has the option for removing the battery pack in
cold weather, this was likewise improved in Nikon F2, only to be dropped in F3. Plus the F2 brought out a 100 foot
motor, the only one in existence. The 100 foot motor is now expensive and rare.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1030581.JPG Views:	0 Size:	144.6 KB ID:	4782647 I would also like to nominate the Rectaflex as an Italian designed SLR beauty, a "Telois Paris" marked later model. I have recently adapted an Olympus lens to its mount...by way of a 2X adapter...but will soon modify the Zuiko 50mm 1.8 for direct mounting. Looking for wider and longer Zuiko lenses to modify. Careful though, the earlier Rectaflex have a facing inside the mount which interferes a bit with the simplest way to modify the Zuiko for attachment. With the 2X adapter the screen is bright and the focus bar is magnified to make focusing a snap at the modified 100mm focal length. Also, close focus is great and beyond infinity focus is encountered so, careful.

Attachments

• P1030582.JPG
    P1030582.JPG
    178.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Exaktas aren’t heavy in comparison to many 35mm SLRs. I have four VX’s, a VX IIa, and an Exakta 500 (also known as Exa II). They are fun to use and I’ve used all of mine quite a bit, including the slow speeds and timers. I’ve long waited for an opportunity to use the film cutting knife. Someday…

For Canon, I think the EF Black Beauty is truly their best “1-step down from professional” SLR. Its features and viewfinder are wonderful. I never liked the scribbled advertising on the T series, nor their blob shape and controls.

Click image for larger version  Name:	EB8CEF88-FFA6-4CA0-9BAE-2D0A3D7EEAFB.jpg Views:	0 Size:	304.8 KB ID:	4790588 Click image for larger version  Name:	9E2C3378-A733-47A5-B374-741B18EC4977.jpg Views:	0 Size:	302.1 KB ID:	4790589 Click image for larger version  Name:	2135647E-184B-4BED-82C4-B6001B4B964A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	399.3 KB ID:	4790590

This may stray outside the parameters, but I will make a plug for the Pentax LX -- which was almost as small and elegant as the Olympus OM-1, but with all kinds of pro-level swappable do-dads. I had one with both a high-eyepoint and a waist level finder. I often shot with the waist level finder, but kept closed, which en-smallified the camera profile even further. I zone focused like a Leica and the shutter was about as quiet. I liked this camera so much, I bought it twice. Once before I swapped everything out for Nikon due to parts availability where I was working, and then again when the advent of autofocus in pro gear caused used LX prices to drop. Fabulous bit of engineering.

This may stray outside the parameters, but I will make a plug for the Pentax LX -- which was almost as small and elegant as the Olympus OM-1, but with all kinds of pro-level swappable do-dads. I had one with both a high-eyepoint and a waist level finder. I often shot with the waist level finder, but kept closed, which en-smallified the camera profile even further. I zone focused like a Leica and the shutter was about as quiet. I liked this camera so much, I bought it twice. Once before I swapped everything out for Nikon due to parts availability where I was working, and then again when the advent of autofocus in pro gear caused used LX prices to drop. Fabulous bit of engineering.
There’s a guy on another photo forum who numerous times has demonstrated the low-light exposure capabilities of the LX - he made a few photos of Hoover Dam and various other nighttime photos where the LX made extremely long exposures, monitoring the light striking the film. The results were spectacular - so good they could’ve been used for an advertising brochure and you’d swear it was made with a large format camera.

Back