Oh Man! Plaubel Makina III! Back to RF.

Scan-161104-0001 by Nokton48, on Flickr

6.5x9cm Plaubel Makina III with 100mm F4.2 Orthometar, which is Plaubel's sharp commercial lens. Notice the precision framing, I used to do a lot of Architectural Photography for Architects. The precision of viewing acuity especially at the extreme edges, makes it easy. 120 Foma 100 in a Miakina Film Back, and processed in Microdol-X Legacy dev. Scanned on my Epson 4490.

Peco Jr 135 f3.8 Xenar Delta 100 D23 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Windowlight test of Plaubel Peco Junior with 135mm F3.8 chrome Schneider Xenar in Compur Shutter. Delta 100 in 6x9 Plaubel Makina Roll Film Back F11 aperture. Camera movements utilized, strong back tilt, which I could easily see on the magnified screen. The camera is fun to use. I like the out of focus rendering with the Xenar lens. 5x7 RC Arista [NODE="2"]Forum[/NODE] Dektol Omega Dii 180 black Rodagon. F3.8 is a joy to look through

Peco Jr 150 F9 Apo Ronar FP4 Kelly LIghting D23 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Kelly Portrait Lighting Test Peco Jr 150mm F9 Rodenstock Apo-Ronar in compur shutter. Another of the original lenses in the catalog for this camera. Ilford 120 FP4+ in Plaubel Makina 6x9cm Film Back, D23 1:1 5x7 [NODE="2"]Forum[/NODE] Arista RC Dektol dev Omega Dii 180mm Rodagon laser focused. DOF is kinda thin on this one but I like it. Camera is fun to use

Peco Jr 135 f3.8 Xenar Pan F + D23 Focus Test by Nokton48, on Flickr

Here I am testing focus accuracy, using the Peco Jr Magnifier with Hood to focus/compose wide open. Then switching out to a 6x9cm Plaubel Makina Roll Holder loaded with PanF+. D23 1:1 5x7 [NODE="2"]Forum[/NODE] Arista Dektol dev Omega DII laser aligned 180 black Rodagon. The lens/back/camera passes, everything matched in perfect sharp focus. I had hoped this was still keyed to Makina Backs. I have them in 6x6 and 6x9cm

Peco Jr 135 f3.8 Xenar Pan F + D23 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Here I am testing focus accuracy, using the Peco Jr Magnifier with Hood to focus/compose wide open. Then switching out to a 6x9cm Plaubel Makina Roll Holder loaded with PanF+. D23 1:1 5x7 [NODE="2"]Forum[/NODE] Arista Dektol dev Omega DII laser aligned 180 black Rodagon. The lens/back/camera passes, everything matched in perfect sharp focus. I had hoped this was still keyed to Makina Backs. I have them in 6x6 and 6x9cm

Ernest Lehdian Makina Film Loading 8 Exposure Back by Nokton48, on Flickr

Here are instructions on loading the Plaubel Makina 8 Exposure Film Back. This is not an easy back to load, it is an acquired skill. Even so surprises do happen. It is highly recommended BY ME to change to using the olde wooden 120 film spools (Agfa, Ansco, Kodak Etc) as the back is designed to work with this type. DOES NOT work so well with modern plastic 120 spools. Buy a set of wooden ones, your Plaubel Makina will then nearly always meter and function correctly. They are quite fiddly and rather odd in design. But they can be made to work nearly reliable. And they are fun to use. Temperamental but beautifully made

Makiflex 180 F2.8 Zebra Sonnar FOMA by Nokton48, on Flickr

The zebra 180mm F2.8 CZJ Sonnar (uber hacked rear mount completely removed, refitted into Plaubel Peco Jr recessed board). Makiflex Standard FOMA 200 Mic-X. Lens will just cover, 18"x18" area is as far out as it will focus. Amazing Sonnar bokeh. This lens is a fave for Pentacon Six fans, this is pushing the envelope with larger format. I like the delicate natural lighting on this one.

2015-12-12 14.19.12 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Three 6x6 Film Backs for the Plaubel Makina III. And the RARE 6x6 Viewfinder Mask for the Makina III. Today just arrived, two more Plaubel Makina filters, these came from a camera collection from Cuba :)

Two of these backs are loaded with film. I have not tested any of them at this point. But I will soon.

Focal Plane Shutter Distance Scales Makina IIIR by Nokton48, on Flickr

Distance Scale on the Makina IIIR for use with the Focal Plane Shutter. Quite precise first you find your distance using the standard rangefinder setup, then transfer to this distance scale which compensates for the thickness of the shutter. Works perfectly in oractice. Fits well on the IIIR as it takes all the lenses and attachments. Never noticed this scale until I got the shutter. There is a trigger button sticking out of the shutter box, that fires the FP shutter. Speeds from 1/100 to 1/1000 great for close range sports or reportage. Anything requiring stop action with fast film

The Reporters Camera IIIR F4.2 283 Tripod Attachment by Nokton48, on Flickr

I want to use this as a "Reporter's Camera" as would be done in the day. Adding the Makina Tripod Adapter, gives tremendous stability to the camera, and it lines up perfectly with the Stroboframe Bracket I use for portable flash photography. The thyristor in the 283 makes for auto flash photography with the IIIR. It's a tough brute of a camera, suitable definitely for Press Use, simply by adding the Tripod Adapter.

Digitized Test 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Minolta SRT Copy Stand Sony Nex-5 30mm Nex Macro. First test of digitizing B&W prints. I have been scanning everything for years, I think I like this result better. 120 roll Makina Back Plaubel Peco Junior View Broncolor Octobox 150 frosted bulb supplemental diffusion. One Pop Broncolor C200 Monolight 1600J. 8x10 RC Arista Print Ilford Multigrade Developer, Omega DII 105mm black Rodagon laser aligned.

Shot on Agfa APX 100 Dry Plate (glass) with my Plaubel Makina IIS and Anticomar 1:2.9 / 100mm. I had to crop it due to light leak in the plate holder.

MAKINAIIS0004.jpg

Back