Disappointing Encounter With The X100F

...Anything you can't do with the fixed lens?

The X100 lens should not be used for close up work work at apertures wide than F 4. The X100 manuals state the lens was not designed for this purpose. At F 4 and above, close ups are fine.

By the way, the FUJIFILM Macro Mode does not affect lens optics. Macro Mode just switches to an AF algorithm that is optimized for focusing on close objects. This algorithm is unsuitable for non-close up focusing.

The 100 lens is reported to be unsuitable for IR photography because of IR hot spots.

Using lens filters require an adapter.

I find the X100 lens renders differently below ~F 4 compared to narrower apertures. At wider apertures there is more flare and risk of internal reflections. The good news is you have a lens with dual rendering characteristics. The flare below F 4 produces a lower contrast image. at F5.6 and above the contrast resembles the better XF lenses. The X100 lens is quite long. Most of the lens is inside the camera body. At one time the X100 rear element to sensor cover glass distance was the shortest of all digital cameras. This is responsible for the dual rendering behavior.

I think this review of the lens is fair.

Any reason it couldn't be your only digital camera?

Yes.

o The leaf shutter is limited to 1/4000 sec.
o The fixed focal length is limiting. Using the teleconverters cancel the camera's primary advantage of being light and compact.
o The controls are small and cramped - if you constantly need to change operational modes, this is tedious.
o The X100 is not water resistant.

I own a X100T and a X-Pro 2. For me, the X100T is a great daily carry camera. It is also good for candid work. I find a people are less likely to be concerned when I use a chrome X100. The X-Pro 2 is more flexible when I can't zoom with my feet and is easier to use.

The X100F has a pretty decent electronic zoom to 50 and 75 that works fairly well if you need it in a pinch. The image quality is very good even with the older lens design, certainly better than my meager skills can take advantage of. The menus aren't an issue, once I set it up the way I like I never dig into them. As others have said, the size and weight and FUN of using it make it the camera I carry around the most.

Thanks Willie for the balanced review. Some of those limitations wouldn't be an issue for me, others are worth thinking about. I really just need to get one in my hands.

I'm coming to this thread late, but want to chime in, in support of multi-functional digital cameras (I use Fuji gear).
I enjoy the availability of all the knobs, dials, and somewhat complex looking menus of modern cameras. I see these as simply features that allow me to set up the camera to behave the way I want, and then 'set it and forget it'. I prefer to use cameras that feel like my old film cameras, where I would only have shutter speed, aperture, focus, and ISO to think about. With Fuji, I have to added bonus of different film simulations to choose from.

I could care less about all the video features, auto-focus parameters, so I never bother with looking at those menu options.

I suspect that if all those that complain about the number of pages in a camera's operating manual would just tear out the pages that they'll realistically never use, things would look different.

When I bought my Sony mirrorless, it frustrated me for a long time because it seemed so many controls were buried under layers of menus.
That's where the Fuji X-T3 or X-T4 shine: everything you need to set has metal dials on the top plate. These cameras are pure bliss!

Wow those are great examples, I didn't know about the converter lenses so it's good to know that's an option.

I can't say anything about the 28mm (equivalent) WCL-x100 - since I've never used it - but I do have the 50mm (equivalent) TCL-x100, and I find it to be very good.

For practical purposes, optically it's as good as the built-in lens, and it retains the full maximum aperture of the built-in lens. And while it's self-evidently the case that the x100 is rather less compact with the TCL fitted, it looks great, IMO. :)

Back