Disappointing Encounter With The X100F

Keith

The best camera is one that still works!
Local time
6:56 PM
It was recommended highly by several people here when I asked for a quality fixed lens daily carry camera on behalf of a friend and justifiably so ... it has a great reputation for excellent IQ and performance.

My friend went ahead and bought one a week or two ago and visited me today and bought the little Fuji with her so I had a chance to play with it. I had an original X100 and was impressed with it's simplicity but I see a lot has happened to the X100 since then. Nothing simple about this camera and also very little about it that seemed intuitive to me. Congratulations Fuji because based on popularity the camera is a winner but I think you have given it a lot of DSLR style complication that it really didn't need.

Apologies in advance to happy X100F owners but this was my overpowering impression.

So it was complexity and non-intuitiveness of F model that was so disappointing?

Yes ... it seemed to have a lot in common with a DSLR which is probably ok if that's what you're familiar with. I'm not that intimidated by complexity because I have a D4 and like it but I struggle to see the need for it in something like this. Beautiful camera though!

My experience with the x100t was that it took a bit to catch the quirks. The first thing I did was disable all the quick set functions and over time added back just 2-3.

The second thing I did was turn off the back LCD and use the elec.eye view finder only with full time face recognition. I will give you that the user manual sucks big-time...

Shooting in-camera JPGs and love the 'x100t'. I would prefer the x100f as I also shoot ND Grad filters (Lee Sev5n) which has to be done in full manual mode so the external ISO dial would be a plus. There is some barrel distortion with the lens and there can be a bit of moiré patterning... I am using an early version of Silkypix (again a bit of a learning curve) and will most likely upgrade to a newer version of the software.

It's not a replacement for film or dSLR, but it's a great social media camera.

My experience with the x100t was that it took a bit to catch the quirks. The first thing I did was disable all the quick set functions and over time added back just 2-3.

The second thing I did was turn off the back LCD and use the elec.eye view finder only with full time face recognition. I will give you that the user manual sucks big-time...

Shooting in-camera JPGs and love the 'x100t'. I would prefer the x100f as I also shoot ND Grad filters (Lee Sev5n) which has to be done in full manual mode so the external ISO dial would be a plus. There is some barrel distortion with the lens and there can be a bit of moiré patterning... I am using an early version of Silkypix (again a bit of a learning curve) and will most likely upgrade to a newer version of the software.

It's not a replacement for film or dSLR, but it's a great social media camera.

She was certainly struggling with the manual and looking at it I can see why. She's a Canon 5Dlll shooter so she'll figure it out out eventually but like you she'll need to spend some time deciding on final settings I suspect.

How can a camera with 140 pages in the instruction book be called simple? And that's just the X100, so I've every sympathy. And it's a big heavy camera with too many buttons and a weird* lens hood set up...

Why isn't there a digital camera like the old film P&S's with a brilliant to excellent fixed lens and a straight forward set of controls and no menu maze?

Regards, David

* You have to unscrew the ring on the front of the lens and then screw on an adapter and then the lens hood has a bayonet fitting! Then you have to buy a new lens cap (from China) to fit the adapter. And as for the price of Fuji's lens hood...

Life was so simple in the days of film, sigh.

How can a camera with 140 pages in the instruction book be called simple? And that's just the X100, so I've every sympathy. And it's a big heavy camera with too many buttons and a weird lens hood set up...

Why isn't there a digital camera like the old film P&S's with a brilliant to excellent fixed lens and a straight forward set of controls and no menu maze?

Regards, David

I'm used to my DP Merrills which really do offer simplicity ... better high ISO performance and focusing wouldn't go astray though. The Fuji seems strong in these areas.

Congratulations Fuji because based on popularity the camera is a winner but I think you have given it a lot of DSLR style complication that it really didn't need.

What's so complicated on today's DSLRs (I haven't really used a digital camera for a decade now)? Do they not take a picture at the press of the shutter button after you've taken them out of the box?

More features means higher complexity.
For some that is wanted and thus accepted, others would rather stick to basic functions.
That's life, I guess.

How can a camera with 140 pages in the instruction book be called simple? And that's just the X100, so I've every sympathy. And it's a big heavy camera with too many buttons and a weird* lens hood set up...

Regards, David

* You have to unscrew the ring on the front of the lens and then screw on an adapter and then the lens hood has a bayonet fitting! Then you have to buy a new lens cap (from China) to fit the adapter. And as for the price of Fuji's lens hood...

Life was so simple in the days of film, sigh.
Nikon FM2n, baby!!

I'm a new user of the X100f. I found that dealing with some of the complexity up front by reading the manual, assigning a couple of function buttons, and locking in a few settings has made the camera very simple to operate. Very impressed with the results so far.

What's so complicated on today's DSLRs (I haven't really used a digital camera for a decade now)? Do they not take a picture at the press of the shutter button after you've taken them out of the box?

You won't hear me complaining about DSLRs.

When I bought my Sony mirrorless, it frustrated me for a long time because it seemed so many controls were buried under layers of menus. I shrugged it off, assuming it was due to my unfamiliarity with the Sony compared to my Nikons. After a couple years, I have decided it really is the Sony system that is unnecessarily tedious. The DSLRs are better.

That Sony doesn't provide a manual and expects everyone to go to sony.com to download a manual doesn't help matters either.

Last edited:
It is just a matter of choice nowadays, Keith.
For straight forward shooting you can set aperture on the lens, shutterspeed, iso and EV compensation with dials. Program 1 FN button for Filmsimulation modes and you are done and you can shoot happily forever with excellent results.
On the other hand, if you want to setup C-AF or to have eye-af enabled and choose between the left- or right eye, then you have to delve into manuals, setup procedures and and program FN buttons.
Coming from X100 - S and T I now own a - new to me - X-T2 and after reading the manual and some blogs/youtube films I setup the camera once and now I am a happy shooter with all for me important functions readily accessible without delving into the menu's.
So, for me these camera's can be either simplistic or rather complicated, but ain't it brilliant we have these choices nowadays?

just my own opinion, but camera makers have never been good with software interface designs like Apple and Google. they all have proprietary firmware OS, each solving same question differently (oftentimes even among different models in their lineups). no consistency and long term perspective like good software design should.

Nice to hear what original X100 was this simple. I could give it a try once M-E goes for nine months sensor replacement saga.

I'm not sure if it is only F thing. I was asked once to help with modern Canon Rebel DSLR. I have and use the old one. And I failed miserably with new one. It is overloaded with something which gets in a way.

The F is easy to learn, she’s just familiar with something entirely different. This isn’t instant.

And yes, camera UI is pathetic. Every manufacturer is still giving us the equivalent of DOS from 1985!

The first manufacturer to provide a modern UI will get a huge market share increase. But will it ever happen??

IMO the problem with these cameras full of options rises when by mistake you hit the wrong button (specially on the very small bodies it can happens) and enable some function you do not desires and are not able to go back to previous settings!

I had it a couple of timers with my wife's D-109 when the iso suddenly disappeared and even going through many pages of menu I wasn't able to find it again! Only later I discover I had push an "A" = automatic button :bang:

And these cameras have a more than 100 pages manual (D-109 has 240 IICR) !

robert
PS: by the way this is one of the reasons for which I still love my 7 years old Leica x1 and...the M10 of course :)

I've been using my original X100 for several years. I don't feel the need to try the later models. My X100 has everything I want, and nothing I don't!

Nothing simple about this camera and also very little about it that seemed intuitive to me.
'Complexity' with the Fuji X-100 series is not an issue for me: the f-stops are on the barrel of the lens; the shutter speeds on a dial on top of the camera, and ISO is accessible through the Q button on the back of the camera. Easy as pie, even more so when you program the Fn button with whatever function you desire, also on top of the camera.

Back