Bessa IIIW/GF670W prices - WOW

I wonder if people just prefer 6x7 over 6x9.

Maybe it's the aspect ratio: 6x9 is identical to a 35mm 24x36 frame. Boring. :D
My favourite was always the 6x8. I always found the 67 a little short....just like 4x5. The 680 is like Goldilocks porridge... just right.

GW680iii Brenta Dolomites
39309681510_2b374892e8_c.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder if people just prefer 6x7 over 6x9.

Maybe it's the aspect ratio: 6x9 is identical to a 35mm 24x36 frame. Boring. :D
Yes, it is this... 6x7 does a decent 4x5" large format emulation without the hassle of using a 4x5" camera. The 6x9 is, as you say, the same as 35mm film when it comes to seeing and framing (but with extra res). 6x8 is similar to what we get in digital medium format.

Yes, it is this... 6x7 does a decent 4x5" large format emulation without the hassle of using a 4x5" camera. The 6x9 is, as you say, the same as 35mm film when it comes to seeing and framing (but with extra res). 6x8 is similar to what we get in digital medium format.
What's a digital medium format? 🤣 Chicken? Egg?
I'm a film user but love the medium ground between the 67 & 69.... Always preferred my 5x7" to the stubby 4x5"

It's been 15 years since they released the folding version, and the wide 12 years. Fuji are clearly entretained with other ventures than film at the time of writing as to expect them sponsoring one; but Cosina still well exists and they made this machine. It would be interesting if an additional run could be done.

Amusing to read my own post from 3 years ago... The Mamiya 7 and these have shot up in price so much.

I'm happy with my GW690, 6x9 is the largest of standard medium formats, the thing is voluminous but very solid. Spends a lot of film, but that's part of the quirk. I agree that 6x8 and 6x7 are fantastic rations and sometimes when composing vertical, 6x9 on a rangefinder is awkward.

Of course, when thinking about travel, I eye more compact and modern medium formats, but those are few and far in between. My friend kickstarted the idea of a backpacking trip to Asia for which I started to think about doing in 2012. I still froze a tiny bit of 220 film awaiting such a venture.
Deardorff jokes about digital medium format but for such a purpose it is attractive, except that film has some kind of curse that wants me back to it. But the cost of some of these cameras plus the film and processing makes now for an interesting comparison. Seeing $3 to 5K ranges of prices is crazy.

Being a bit off topic, I think a RF with a standard form factor and a collapsible lens mechanism as per the Mamiya 6 would be very interesting.

What's a digital medium format? 🤣 Chicken? Egg?
I'm a film user but love the medium ground between the 67 & 69.... Always preferred my 5x7" to the stubby 4x5"
Fujifilm GFX for one... cameras using 33x44cm sensors or larger (like Phase One). I guess I didn't get the joke.

Fujifilm GFX for one... cameras using 33x44cm sensors or larger (like Phase One). I guess I didn't get the joke.
I did.... 680 Fuji film cameras existed before digital....let alone before the admittedly brilliant GFX..... but i work solely with film....so "phase one" or "medium format digital" are incomprehensible vocabulary to me ;)

Two things I love about the GW690 series:

- just 8 shots per roll; perfect for a little stroll

- the x10 roll counter on the bottom

Two things I love about the GW690 series:

- just 8 shots per roll; perfect for a little stroll

- the x10 roll counter on the bottom
The only time i've ever looked at the counter on the bottom was when i was buying one. I've never had a Fuji GW leaf shutter die on me......including a GL690 that had taken a 60'/20m tumble. Just great camerasIMG_4319.jpg

It's been 15 years since they released the folding version, and the wide 12 years. Fuji are clearly entretained with other ventures than film at the time of writing as to expect them sponsoring one; but Cosina still well exists and they made this machine. It would be interesting if an additional run could be done.

Amusing to read my own post from 3 years ago... The Mamiya 7 and these have shot up in price so much.

I'm happy with my GW690, 6x9 is the largest of standard medium formats, the thing is voluminous but very solid. Spends a lot of film, but that's part of the quirk. I agree that 6x8 and 6x7 are fantastic rations and sometimes when composing vertical, 6x9 on a rangefinder is awkward.

Of course, when thinking about travel, I eye more compact and modern medium formats, but those are few and far in between. My friend kickstarted the idea of a backpacking trip to Asia for which I started to think about doing in 2012. I still froze a tiny bit of 220 film awaiting such a venture.
Deardorff jokes about digital medium format but for such a purpose it is attractive, except that film has some kind of curse that wants me back to it. But the cost of some of these cameras plus the film and processing makes now for an interesting comparison. Seeing $3 to 5K ranges of prices is crazy.

Being a bit off topic, I think a RF with a standard form factor and a collapsible lens mechanism as per the Mamiya 6 would be very interesting.
The new Mamiya 6 was a brilliant camera. Pretty much my favourite not only for the large negative but for its diminutive size with the lens collapsed. If I were dreaming cameras...a mechanical version of the Mamiya 6 would do it for me.

The only time i've ever looked at the counter on the bottom was when i was buying one. I've never had a Fuji GW leaf shutter die on me...
The appeal for me was just geekiness. Like having an hour-meter for an engine.

I've read that these GW's were largely intended for pros making hundreds of photos at Japanese tourist locations (seems like a limited market - how many pros?). Anyway, for professionals the counter made sense as a maintenance reminder - a precursor to today's little service reminders on modern cars.

The appeal for me was just geekiness. Like having an hour-meter for an engine.

I've read that these GW's were largely intended for pros making hundreds of photos at Japanese tourist locations (seems like a limited market - how many pros?). Anyway, for professionals the counter made sense as a maintenance reminder - a precursor to today's little service reminders on modern cars.
I had read that as well. Whatever reason they created them.....they are IMO a great camera. Such a big step up in handling from the Mamiya Press.....changed my view of where you could go with a medium format camera.

I was ready to buy one many moons ago but was then sent to a tropical country and thought this would not bode well for the bellows. At today's prices, it's a no-no. Cheers, OtL

I did.... 680 Fuji film cameras existed before digital....let alone before the admittedly brilliant GFX..... but i work solely with film....so "phase one" or "medium format digital" are incomprehensible vocabulary to me ;)
wait, did you think I didn't know of the GW680 and GX680 etc? My point was that today's medium format digital has the same aspect ratio.

I recently sold my Makina 670 which I just didn't bond with and found a very nice Fuji GF670 for $2400. I appreciate the auto exposure and overall handling of the camera. This is the second one of these I have owned, and I always regretted selling the first one. ---jb.

Back